District 10-4A (D-I) New "District of Doom"

LilBroKevTEN

15 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

I already stated that. I said I didn't necessarily count them as they haven't really been in the playoff discussion. 2008 was e last time they made the postseason? 

So only Carthage, Kilgore and Henderson are the only true DOD? Lol, just poking back at you. Just trying to clarify the phraseology around here and determine the true definition of DOD...

2 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Good too know why folks take me seriously is beyond me. Getting upset is ridiculous. As for this District I don't think anyone goes winless or Undefeated. This will be a competitive District and Palestine will be decent and Chapel Hill probably will be better imo. The top 4 are obvious now and could go in any order. Henderson has a lot returning  and carthage has the most experienced QB and the best Head Coach. Kilgore and van replace qb but should be still good. 

Kilgore replaces the QB, but in my opinion (Zachary)..which assuming he takes over.... is every bit as good as Buddy was...if not better...maybe not quiet as fast and elusive, but still very good and looks like a better passer!!...I'm more worried about replacing the OL and DL...not sure on the #'s...but, I know we lost in those areas....our JV and Freshman teams though did very well, so I imagine we have a few good ones to stick in there...we shall see!!!

With Van moving in it is possible that the FOUR best teams in R3 will all reside in D10. There are a couple teams in D9 that might challenge that but with El Campo moving to R4 and Navasota in chaos I dont think there is a single team in D11 or D12 that could make the playoffs in the DoD. Maybe one of the 5A dropdowns in D11 can make some noise.

It's going to be fun this year to read all the banter back and forth on this forum as opposed to years past when we (Van) we're in our previous District.  It goes without question that the level of competition is going to be raised to new heights for us...I think there will probably be some surprises but I think, bottom line, line em up, 11 on 11, and let the chips fall where they may.  I think us being in the "DOD" will make us better...as the old saying goes, iron sharpens iron. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vandalman said:

In response to people saying Van hasn't beaten a DoD team: As Dawgnation 2015 has already pointed out, Van beat Palestine 2 years in a row. They are and have been in the district of doom. 

I'd compare that to beating Vanderbilt and then celebrating that you beat the SEC. 

Yes,  Van beat Palestine the last 2 seasons and they are technically a dod team.  No disrespect to the cats,  but those teams were not like the Palestine of old.  They were in rebuild mode for several seasons. I do think and hope that Palestine returns to their competitive ways soon. 

When I hear DOD I consider those guys to be Carthage,  Henderson,  Kilgore,  and used to be Gilmer.  

52 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

I'd compare that to beating Vanderbilt and then celebrating that you beat the SEC. 

Yes,  Van beat Palestine the last 2 seasons and they are technically a dod team.  No disrespect to the cats,  but those teams were not like the Palestine of old.  They were in rebuild mode for several seasons. I do think and hope that Palestine returns to their competitive ways soon. 

When I hear DOD I consider those guys to be Carthage,  Henderson,  Kilgore,  and used to be Gilmer.  

Yes, I know that and agree with the analogy. Just pointing out that technically we have indeed won against a DOD team. What can I say? I'm a technical minded  person with OCD lol.  

1 hour ago, Lion70 said:

Notable Non District Games:

Carthage vs Gilmer

Henderson vs Pleasant Grove

Kilgore vs Texas High

Carthage vs Marshall

Carthage vs Pleasant Grove

Van vs Gilmer

Carthage vs Liberty Eylau

To a lesser degree Henderson vs Whitehouse

Kilgore vs Nac 

Henderson vs Jacksonville

Van vs Lindale

Haven't heard anything from Palestine and Chapel Hill but I imagine 

Chapel hill has Whitehouse like usual

I like the Van vs Gilmer. Wish we'd been scheduling that in previous seasons. Van vs Lindale is always a big rival game. Hope we keep scheduling that one. Henderson vs PG should be interesting.

17 minutes ago, Vandalman said:

I like the Van vs Gilmer. Wish we'd been scheduling that in previous seasons. Van vs Lindale is always a big rival game. Hope we keep scheduling that one. Henderson vs PG should be interesting.

For me it’s Carthage vs Marshall.  We have always played up against 5A teams like Nac, Lindale & Whitehouse but this one will be different.  They will tough to beat for 4 quarters.

6 hours ago, kdogs00 said:

Kilgore replaces the QB, but in my opinion (Zachary)..which assuming he takes over.... is every bit as good as Buddy was...if not better...maybe not quiet as fast and elusive, but still very good and looks like a better passer!!...I'm more worried about replacing the OL and DL...not sure on the #'s...but, I know we lost in those areas....our JV and Freshman teams though did very well, so I imagine we have a few good ones to stick in there...we shall see!!!

Zackery does not have Buddy Jackson speed, but he does have a cannon for an arm and he’s been playing varsity football since he was a freshman... he’ll be fine. I think we’ll be solid in the trenches as well... the JV team was pretty dominant there this past season. We return Wheat and Hooper and Crowe at receiver... newcomers to watch are Isaac and Whittington who are both lightning fast. JV running back was really good, Jacob Lacy I believe was his name. The freshman team had a couple of really good RB’s as well.

8 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Have y'all ever played Marshall. I too am excited for that match-up. Easily the most difficult schedule goes to Carthage.

It’s been a long time - maybe late 70’s or early 80’s.  I will say we have scrimmaged them the last two years and held our own. Had no problems moving the ball on them and their size was not much of a factor.  However, we all know it will be different for four quarters.

Just my homer opinion. 

The Dawgs should be the favorite to not only win the district, but make a legitimate run a three Pete. 

QB, RB, and O line should be among the best in all of 4A. 

Three O linemen coming back and you add an outstanding J.R.  at 6’5” 285 pounds and the Dawgs will be a well balanced offensive machine. 

The Dawg D will have three bigger, stronger, and faster D linemen coming back, 40, 80, and 82. 

Two return in the secondary that played outstanding last season. 

The Dawgs will find linebackers and receivers that will shine with the good coaching from coach S and staff. 

The Dawgs reload and are coming again. 

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

It’s been a long time - maybe late 70’s or early 80’s.  I will say we have scrimmaged them the last two years and held our own. Had no problems moving the ball on them and their size was not much of a factor.  However, we all know it will be different for four quarters.

Carthage would've hammered Marshall last year. Now this upcoming year, we will have to see. Should be a good game. Win or lose it will be fun. Hope we can keep this game going for some time. I think Carthage can be competitive on a yearly basis. 

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The Dawgs will find linebackers and receivers that will shine with the good coaching from coach S and staff. 

I have already said Carthage is gonna be good. I think the QB, OL, and DL are all gonna be pretty special. All those units will be very experienced. But as far as replacing LB and WR, that's gonna be pretty tough. Obviously Carthage is gonna reload, but the experience just won't be there early. I think we will also have some sophomores in those positions. So we will have to wait and see.

If Dixon stays healthy obviously he is gonna be a stud on offense at WR and RB. Carthage just graduated probably the best WR core they ever had. Only arguments you will get are 2010 or 2013. And those years did not have 3, pretty much elite, receivers. That was kinda the deal with Carthage in 2017. I'm not gonna say any of them were Tee or Jalen. Maybe just slightly below those guys, but there were 3 of them! You would have a hard time saying who actually the best WR was at Carthage this year. That doesn't usually happen. 

Replacing the LB core is gonna be even more ridiculous. Gates has been playing on the Varsity since he was a dang freshman (played RB as a fish). Ahmad started as a sophomore (and was better than Gates as a soph). Then moves to Crockett and is all state as a junior before coming back as a senior. I'm pretty sure the 1st time I saw Dejulian was his sophomore year in 2015 against Kilgore. I mean you are talking a very experienced bunch of kids. 

That 2017 team started building in 2015. That was a team pretty much 3 years in the making by the time they demolished Kennedale at Jerry World. So for me this is a wait and see year. I think Carthage is gonna be good. And for sure they are rebuild/reload for title runs in 19 & 20. Just have to see who steps up this year. If Carthage repeats this year, Lion70 will have to deactivate his account. I think everybody that follows is aware of how loaded our incoming juniors and sophomores are. When we have these loaded classes back to back, it usually turns out pretty good. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Lion70 said:

I think this District going to be super competitive. Excited too see how this plays out. On paper  , Hendo, kilgore, van, Carthage have the same question marks but return a lot. Carthage probably is the favoites cause they have the most established QB and Goat Coach. 

Probably.....LOL.

2 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Yeah not from me but I gotta them in the top four. Carthage gotta lot to prove because of what they lost that's graduating. On a side note: how is that kid from the 7th grade that got hurt last year doing. I know he won't be playing football but is he doing better ? 

He’s doing good.  Very blessed to still be with us.  Still proud of the work your trainer and others did at game that night.