2A Region III Baseball

MUSTANGMANIA

18 hours ago, SMBALLER61 said:

Shelbyville will be the team to beat... After they win state in basketball their two D1 pitchers will join them.

That’s big talk, hope y’all can back it up! I didn’t know Shelbyville was known for having much of a Baseball program, best of luck to your young men that will be playing. I hope y’all have a great season.

40 minutes ago, Alto44 said:

That’s big talk, hope y’all can back it up! I didn’t know Shelbyville was known for having much of a Baseball program, best of luck to your young men that will be playing. I hope y’all have a great season.

No we can't in Baseball but we could be tough to beat. District starts this week and our pitchers haven't picked up a baseball since October due to basketball. They won't be out for baseball till March 13. I doubt they would be at full strength  to pitch for about 3 weeks. Going to be in dog fight just to make playoffs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 5:16 PM, fergton said:

No we can't in Baseball but we could be tough to beat. District starts this week and our pitchers haven't picked up a baseball since October due to basketball. They won't be out for baseball till March 13. I doubt they would be at full strength  to pitch for about 3 weeks. Going to be in dog fight just to make playoffs. 

If your pitchers haven't picked up a baseball since October then they aren't really Pitchers, they are just throwers. If they are really Pitchers then they are on a throwing program and have been throwing Flat Ground Pens as well as BullPen sessions off the mound. They may not be full strength right now, but they should be close to ready. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

If your pitchers haven't picked up a baseball since October then they aren't really Pitchers, they are just throwers. If they are really Pitchers then they are on a throwing program and have been throwing Flat Ground Pens as well as BullPen sessions off the mound. They may not be full strength right now, but they should be close to ready. 

Ok. Hmmm. I can only speak for 1 of them but I think it applies to both. They pitch from when they start high school season in March, then into October in select ball with one of the best organizations in the U.S.  Last summer they won the World Series with around 300 teams at PG for 16 yr Olds in Georgia. He stops throwing in October when Basketball starts to give his arm rest with the blessings of his select team coach and the University of Houston coach which he has verbally committed to. I guess he really should listen to you though. Side note these two throwers helped Shelbyville basketball team to the state semi-finals in San Antonio. 

28 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

NOBODY tells a kid to take off from throwing for 5 months. I guarantee you the head coach at the University of Houston didn't.

I be sure and tell them your expert opinion and how wrong they are. They should be throwing a baseball while playing 40 basketball games trying to win a state championship. By they way should we drop these two organizations and bring them to you?

• Stinks 1

19 hours ago, fergton said:

I be sure and tell them your expert opinion and how wrong they are. They should be throwing a baseball while playing 40 basketball games trying to win a state championship. By they way should we drop these two organizations and bring them to you?

Typical parent. If you are a pitcher, or a baseball player period,  then there should have been some throwing going on during basketball season. You have to maintain endurance and strength to avoid injuries. What does playing catch and throwing bullpen sessions have to do with playing 40 basketball games???? The answer is ZERO. 

You play basketball on Tuesdays and Fridays. Is playing catch and long toss on Wednesday and throwing a 50 foot flat ground pen on Saturday really asking too much of an 18 year old???

If you think that is too much work then you and your kid are in for a rude awakening when he gets to UofH, because Division 1 Baseball is a FULL-TIME JOB.

And you might be careful who you quote on here, there are some college coaches that use this site and others like it to keep tabs on recruits.

20 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

NOBODY tells a kid to take off from throwing for 5 months. I guarantee you the head coach at the University of Houston didn't.

Happens more than you think. Kingwood HS makes their pitchers take off from November through January so their arms are rested, and lessen the risk of injury...

Nov-Jan = less than 3 months because practice starts in January and they start a throwing program before practice starts.

NOT 5 and definitely not the two months before they start district. For a kid not to throw during the entire moth of February and March because of basketball is insane. Especially if they are a PITCHER.

Pitching is not just tendons and ligaments. It is MUSCLE as well. The reason kids have so many arm problems is fatigue, because the muscle around the ligaments and tendons is not developed and maintained. When you stop throwing completely the muscle atrophies and that has to be completely rebuilt. That is why MOST coaches have Pitchers take short breaks, not prolonged time off. 

55 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Typical parent. If you are a pitcher, or a baseball player period,  then there should have been some throwing going on during basketball season. You have to maintain endurance and strength to avoid injuries. What does playing catch and throwing bullpen sessions have to do with playing 40 basketball games???? The answer is ZERO. 

You play basketball on Tuesdays and Fridays. Is playing catch and long toss on Wednesday and throwing a 50 foot flat ground pen on Saturday really asking too much of an 18 year old???

If you think that is too much work then you and your kid are in for a rude awakening when he gets to UofH, because Division 1 Baseball is a FULL-TIME JOB.

And you might be careful who you quote on here, there are some college coaches that use this site and others like it to keep tabs on recruits.

Last yr 15yr old this yr 16 yr old. Now I know why so many teenagers are having Tommy John surgery. 

41 minutes ago, fergton said:

Last yr 15yr old this yr 16 yr old. Now I know why so many teenagers are having Tommy John surgery. 

Yep, Tommy John surgery in teenagers is a direct result of tendons and ligaments being overused without proper muscle support. Throwing programs designed to build up strength and endurance in the related muscles are perfect ways to avoid this. 

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

The kid you are questioning as a "thrower" is in fact a legit prospect. He's not a thrower, kid can pitch. These big colleges tell guys to lay off throwing as often as they can, so when they get them as true freshmen, they have more "bullets" left than a kid that has stayed on a throwing program year-round. There's a million different ways to skin a cat, and I'm sure you've had your fare share of success with your way, but there's no reason to belittle a "parent" because you're  a "TX High School Baseball Coach." 

These legit summer teams, and I'm only including the legit ones, carry so many pitchers that nobody gets overused. The Banditos Scout Team that these Shelbyville kids played for has so many pitchers listed, I bet they all stayed fresh the entire summer. You think U of H, Texas A&M, UT, Miami, or LSU is driving to Shelbyville, TX to watch 1 kid pitch? Move over high school coaches, summer ball is the new recruiting train. 

2 minutes ago, rubberhammer said:

The kid you are questioning as a "thrower" is in fact a legit prospect. He's not a thrower, kid can pitch. These big colleges tell guys to lay off throwing as often as they can, so when they get them as true freshmen, they have more "bullets" left than a kid that has stayed on a throwing program year-round. There's a million different ways to skin a cat, and I'm sure you've had your fare share of success with your way, but there's no reason to belittle a "parent" because you're  a "TX High School Baseball Coach." 

These legit summer teams, and I'm only including the legit ones, carry so many pitchers that nobody gets overused. The Banditos Scout Team that these Shelbyville kids played for has so many pitchers listed, I bet they all stayed fresh the entire summer. You think U of H, Texas A&M, UT, Miami, or LSU is driving to Shelbyville, TX to watch 1 kid pitch? Move over high school coaches, summer ball is the new recruiting train. 

Not questioning anything, definitely not a kids talent or abilities. Just saying no legitimate coach is telling ANY baseball player to take 5 months off from throwing. There has to be care and maintenance built into any throwing program, so short breaks are always going to be encouraged. LONG breaks from throwing are just as detrimental, if not more so, than not taking a break.

Definitely "more  than one way to skin a cat" but I'm only questioning taking LONG breaks from throwing then jumping right into competitive PITCHING. Throwing two days a week during the off-season on a regimented throwing program is simply maintaining.

3 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Not questioning anything, definitely not a kids talent or abilities. Just saying no legitimate coach is telling ANY baseball player to take 5 months off from throwing. There has to be care and maintenance built into any throwing program, so short breaks are always going to be encouraged. LONG breaks from throwing are just as detrimental, if not more so, than not taking a break.

Definitely "more  than one way to skin a cat" but I'm only questioning taking LONG breaks from throwing then jumping right into competitive PITCHING. Throwing two days a week during the off-season on a regimented throwing program is simply maintaining.

2 days a week in the off season is my preferred choice when asked my opinion on throwing. However, my head coach will tell a high school coach to shut down a guy in a heart beat. Like I said, every arm only has so many bullets.

8 minutes ago, rubberhammer said:

2 days a week in the off season is my preferred choice when asked my opinion on throwing. However, my head coach will tell a high school coach to shut down a guy in a heart beat. Like I said, every arm only has so many bullets.

Extreme fatigue and injury are the only two reasons to "shut a kid down."

The longer the lay off the longer it takes to recover muscle dexterity. Simple science.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Not questioning a kids talent calling him a thrower ok? I never meant it literally that he never pick up a baseball during basketball season but being from shelbyville it' hard to go to Houston twice a week during school for legit workouts. Once again the "kid" loves basketball played 40 games traveled all over practice most days when no games. I almost forgot about that pesky thing called homework. What's wrong with letting a kid enjoy High School? When he gets to college there will be no basketball and his coach will have complete control of his workouts. By they way if your are a coach you'd love to have this thrower on your team. He can also hit and play the field.

1 minute ago, fergton said:

Not questioning a kids talent calling him a thrower ok? I never meant it literally that he never pick up a baseball during basketball season but being from shelbyville it' hard to go to Houston twice a week during school for legit workouts. Once again the "kid" loves basketball played 40 games traveled all over practice most days when no games. I almost forgot about that pesky thing called homework. What's wrong with letting a kid enjoy High School? When he gets to college there will be no basketball and his coach will have complete control of his workouts. By they way if your are a coach you'd love to have this thrower on your team. He can also hit and play the field.

Probably a poor choice of words on my part, but I just consider a kid who goes 5 months without picking up a baseball to be a kid who is not committed to his craft.

Now that you admit that he did do some light throwing a maintenance during basketball season then we are probably closer to being on the same page.

No need to travel to Houston for lessons during the off-season, but I'm sure his Pitching Coach has a throwing program, a weight workout and a program designed to maintain strength and stability in the arm, while building up the legs. For Pitchers especially, the off-season is just as important as the in-season, to avoid injury and prepare for success.

IMO, playing baseball is being a kid. More fun being on the Diamond than just about anywhere.