2A Region III Baseball

MUSTANGMANIA

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Probably a poor choice of words on my part, but I just consider a kid who goes 5 months without picking up a baseball to be a kid who is not committed to his craft.

Now that you admit that he did do some light throwing a maintenance during basketball season then we are probably closer to being on the same page.

No need to travel to Houston for lessons during the off-season, but I'm sure his Pitching Coach has a throwing program, a weight workout and a program designed to maintain strength and stability in the arm, while building up the legs. For Pitchers especially, the off-season is just as important as the in-season, to avoid injury and prepare for success.

IMO, playing baseball is being a kid. More fun being on the Diamond than just about anywhere.

We could go on & on so this will be my last on this subject. Since you are a coach, if you were a basketball coach with a legit chance to win a state championship would you want one of your top players twice a week throwing a baseball and lifting weights to build his arm strength then a running program  (seems basketball would be enough running ) during district and the playoffs, I'm not  a coach but I don't think this would help your shooting a basketball. By the way Shelbyville will be one of the favorites to win state in basketball next year. Hope you have a great year with your team. It was a poor choice of words. Have a good day.

17 hours ago, fergton said:

We could go on & on so this will be my last on this subject. Since you are a coach, if you were a basketball coach with a legit chance to win a state championship would you want one of your top players twice a week throwing a baseball and lifting weights to build his arm strength then a running program  (seems basketball would be enough running ) during district and the playoffs, I'm not  a coach but I don't think this would help your shooting a basketball. By the way Shelbyville will be one of the favorites to win state in basketball next year. Hope you have a great year with your team. It was a poor choice of words. Have a good day.

Actually yes, as a coach who respects all sports and has coached them all, I have no problem with cross training. As a football coach I understand that on the weekends my football players shoot baskets and play pick up basketball, and my baseball players are taking private pitching and hitting lessons and playing fall baseball, no problem with it. As a basketball coach I understand that my football players are lifting weights and running routes and catching footballs, and my baseball players are throwing a baseball and taking batting practice. As a baseball coach, I understand that my football players are lifting weights and playing 7 on 7 and again my basketball players are shooting hoops and playing 3 on 3. 

It is called being a multi-sport athlete. It is what you have to do to be the best you can be at every sport you play. I played all three very well in High School at a large metropolitan school. We made the playoffs in all 3 sports, so to answer your question, I have no problem with it as a coach. I have been there and done it, so? 

• Like 2

Our District has ousted Kerens from the playoffs two years running.  Last year it was us, the year before it was 4th place Carlisle.  I would say UG is the front runner, but BS surprised me by beating them.  We havent played UG yet, and I didn't see much difference in Hawkins, Carlisle, or BS.  Should be tight and we probably won't be in the mix. This will be the season for Kerens to get payback against our district.  And anyone in our district who meets Linden Kildare in Rd2 will probably get sent home as well.

6 hours ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

Our District has ousted Kerens from the playoffs two years running.  Last year it was us, the year before it was 4th place Carlisle.  I would say UG is the front runner, but BS surprised me by beating them.  We havent played UG yet, and I didn't see much difference in Hawkins, Carlisle, or BS.  Should be tight and we probably won't be in the mix. This will be the season for Kerens to get payback against our district.  And anyone in our district who meets Linden Kildare in Rd2 will probably get sent home as well.

Maud beat L-K last week 8 - 0.........L-K does have a pretty good record - really deep in pitching but not a dominant one against a good hitting team

And I'll retract my comment about UG.  They are a middle of the road team, probably finish 3rd in our district.  They're no better than we are really.  That game should have probably been a 2-1 game, either direction.  You gotta love the unearned runs, I guess!

On 4/5/2018 at 3:27 PM, MUSTANGMANIA said:

We cant finish a game.  Correct me if Im wrong...But I think we've been leading, or tied in the 4th inning of every district game thus far.

Lost to Carlisle 8-6.  Was up 5-2 in the 5th, and 6-5 in 6th.  Same as all the others!!

• Confused 1

On 4/9/2018 at 4:38 PM, ANOTHERHOMER said:

I'm not saying we're great but Grove is a little better than average. We definitely played pretty crappy against Overton but I don't think we'll finish 3rd in the district.

Maybe so.  I'm only basing it off of what I've seen so far. I guess I was expecting more based off the returning players y'all had.  It makes a difference not having the Stanley kid, Im sure. (And I commend the AD sticking with the call on that...We had a very similar issue with a star athelete)

BS is Jekyll and Hyde. They have been keeping the horrible innings at bay where they would play great 4 innings then errors would happen and they would get down and couldn't correct it. They didnt show up against Carlisle. Hawkins was just a good rivalry game. They just are in the groves head this year I guess

On 4/9/2018 at 4:38 PM, ANOTHERHOMER said:

I'm not saying we're great but Grove is a little better than average. We definitely played pretty crappy against Overton but I don't think we'll finish 3rd in the district.

Don't look now, But 3rd is looking you right in the face.  Y'all have a couple of must wins coming up if you want to avoid it. 

On 4/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, knothead58 said:

BS is Jekyll and Hyde. They have been keeping the horrible innings at bay where they would play great 4 innings then errors would happen and they would get down and couldn't correct it. They didnt show up against Carlisle. Hawkins was just a good rivalry game. They just are in the groves head this year I guess

I heard Jekyll and Hyde just faced the minimum tonight against Overton to improve to 15-4

6 minutes ago, knothead58 said:

Yep.... didn't get to go but heard he had a walk immediately erased next pitch with a double play. Will be an intense game I'm sure Friday. Looks like hawkins figured Carlisle out tonight.

Carlisle, Grove, Sandy, Hawkins, Overton (4 or 5 rounds last year) UHill goes to "the rock" just a good, underrated  district that when you come outta this district you're ready for the playoffs 

9 hours ago, knothead58 said:

Yep.... didn't get to go but heard he had a walk immediately erased next pitch with a double play. Will be an intense game I'm sure Friday. Looks like hawkins figured Carlisle out tonight.

Yep.  Hit one batter and the next kid hit into a DP.  It was embarrassing.  But when you see NOTHING but soft toss, and coach pitching at practice this is what you get.  And Im pretty sure we draw names from a hat for the line-up.  I'll bet we've had at least 10 different ones this year.

9 hours ago, FlyLikeAnEagle said:

Carlisle, Grove, Sandy, Hawkins, Overton (4 or 5 rounds last year) UHill goes to "the rock" just a good, underrated  district that when you come outta this district you're ready for the playoffs 

So if Hawkins beat Carlisle, then isnt there a 3 way tie at the top now??