Can a small school coach make the jump to a big school?

Mr. P

1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

When you have more numbers you have more talent. CarthGs already has a ton of participation.

Then why can't you dominate low tier 5A teams on a consistent basis, yet you question that classifications toughness?

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Then why can't you dominate low tier 5A teams on a consistent basis, yet you question that classifications toughness?

I think Carthage does what you would expect them to do against larger classification schools with 800-1000 more kids. Have about a 67% win percentage. Are we supposed to be undefeated?

And I did not question the class' toughness. My comment was about 4a coaches having success in that division. I don't know how you would think they cannot. But you see things only thru your lenses. Like a DA lib.

Just now, BulldogBacker12 said:

Are we supposed to be undefeated?

Carthage is so great, right? Surratt and Carthage would do this and that regardless of classification, right?

I would expect you to have no problem with Hallsville/Jax/Nac/Lindale who aren't even good 5A programs. 

My only point is, don't question a classifications toughness when your program struggles against low end programs from that very class. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Surratt has the best chance of anyone, I'll say that. He is doing what he is doing at Carthage but where was he before? Big school Texas High. 

How many times have we seen coordinators from big schools go and have success at small schools? Plenty of times...heck look at what former Longview assistants did at Gladewater. Brought them from the dead. 

So he's the only small school coach that I'm not overly skeptical of but still, the notion that he'd have the same success in 6A or 5A that he is having in 4A is crazy and that's proven with his struggles against 5A D2 teams. 

Early season games don't mean shinola, when your goal is to win state............Early season games depth matters way more than in district and the playoffs when the weather is cooler, and 5A teams normally have more depth

58 minutes ago, justafan said:

You act like Keeling made up the offense. You ever watch football on Saturdays. Georgia Tech-Paul Johnson ring a bell. The offense works anywhere if you are coached. You act like Marshall has all this talent. Had 3 D1 Oline and avg less than 3 yards per carry. If I was Marshall I’d beg Keeling to come. He has proven year in year out to be a winner.  Waskom isn’t Mineola.  They will probably be a 3rd or 4th round team again. But you do what you want. Hire whoever and go home in the first round. Spread is a system that has to be coached really well to be able to run it. If it’s not Keeling then I go to Carthage and beg the OC from there. Hopefully he has learned enough from Surratt 

when was the last time that offense won a state championship 5A and up?  I am really curious... I know it works... Kennedale and Brock have countless success stories with it... I just haven't seen it succeed at the 5A or 6A level in a really long time.

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

when was the last time that offense won a state championship 5A and up?  I am really curious... I know it works... Kennedale and Brock have countless success stories with it... I just haven't seen it succeed at the 5A or 6A level in a really long time.

Someone will bring up Ennis from a few years back and unfortunately, 1 year out of many years =  the norm for some people. 

10 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Carthage is so great, right? Surratt and Carthage would do this and that regardless of classification, right?

I would expect you to have no problem with Hallsville/Jax/Nac/Lindale who aren't even good 5A programs. 

My only point is, don't question a classifications toughness when your program struggles against low end programs from that very class. 

Actually I didn't say a word about Carthage being so great. You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about Carthage having so much success and Longview being in their shadow right now. When people think ETX they think Carthage. 

You were the one who started in on Carthage in the other thread. My only argument this whole time is that 4a coaches can have success in 5a DII. To think otherwise is not very smart IMO.

3 minutes ago, ANTI said:

About what?

I follow a great program. 

You follow a great 4A program. 

I have no reason to be butthurt. 

Lol. Ewwww you follow a great program! Hahaha. Dude stop. I follow a top 5 program in the state that barely losses. You guys have melt downs EVERY year for all to see on SDC. Just stop bro.

Just now, ANTI said:

No you don't.

You follow a top 5 4A program in the state.

That's a bit more accurate. 

Hahahahaha!!! Boy you are full of hate. Not good for your heart. He said top 5 4a program. Lmao. You have dropped quite a few notches in many people's book after this one. Go back over to the beloved 6a board.

16 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I know this might be a little off subject, but why does there seem to be the belief that a coach from a small school can't win at a larger school.

I think a lot of people have covered this. Seems like the main answer is "a good coach is a good coach". And there are coaches at all levels who could succeed and/or fail at other levels.