Can a small school coach make the jump to a big school?

Mr. P

14 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t think Surratt would have brought Longview state titles that John King hasn’t. 

Every state title caliber team Longview has had the last 20+ years..... they lost to better teams. 

Could they and should they have won some of those games.?  Absolutely.   But by and large, they lost to superior teams. 

And I think John King is one of the best in Texas. 

I don’t think Surratt would have magically won some of those games. 

Yes he would have. He’d have so many more plays at his disposal and he’d have a QB playing at his highest potential deep in the playoffs. Something King has never done. He may one day have a quality QB out of sheer luck, but he’ll never be the offensive wizard Surratt is.

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

Your not thinking X's and O's...I am.

Surratt isn't the perfect fit at Longview that you all make him to be.

How often does he use TE's? FB's? Rollouts, PA pass...stuff like that?

You have to adjust to the athlete...not force a system on them.

Why do you think Surratt forced his players to fit his system and he doesn’t use his players to what suits their skill sets?

20 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t think Surratt would have brought Longview state titles that John King hasn’t. 

Every state title caliber team Longview has had the last 20+ years..... they lost to better teams. 

Could they and should they have won some of those games.?  Absolutely.   But by and large, they lost to superior teams. 

I don’t think Surratt would have magically won some of those games. 

And I think John King is one of the best in Texas. 

Denton guyer, Longview should not have lost that semifinal game.  Throwing the ball late was stupid.  

35 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Do I think small schoour statl coaches can win in the large classifications? 

YES.  We’ve seen it happen before.

BUT... by and large, most struggle if they make a big jump all at once.  We see that a lot more often.  

Most that have had success at both levels moved up the classification ladder slowly.  Learned the nuances of each.  

So no..... I would be skeptical of a 2A or 3A coach jumping to 5A or 6A.  I’d want to see them inch up and win at each.  

But let me throw this out there too.....  I think 5A and 6A coaches would struggle at the 2A and 3A level for the SAME reasons.  They don’t know the nuances of small school ball.  

Jmho  

But where are your stats to back up these claims?  Most coaches struggle in their first yr at any school, regardless of where or what class they come from.  

32 minutes ago, ANTI said:

How is Traylor from Gilmer doing at Lee so far?

Hasn't been 'Gilmer' so far eh?

WHAT?   It's his first yr dude.  Not only only that, its his first yr being a head coach.  Come on man.

And by the way, he went 6-4 which is Lee's best record since 2009 and he won 3 district games, which is 3 more than the yr before, when they went 0-7.

He did extremely well for his first yr.  So actually its going pretty good for him so far.  

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Denton guyer, Longview should not have lost that semifinal game.  Throwing the ball late was stupid.  

Not saying they shouldn’t have won that game. 

But they still had to win the next week to claim a title.   That’s not a given. 

Same with Midway this year. Longview probably should have won.  But they may have been the one getting drilled in the title game instead of Midway. 

We are talking state championships are we not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

2009 - LT lost Gilbert & King had experience against the Cavs from ‘08, but still no result.

2010 - Complete choke job against Guyer at SMU, pitiful. If Longview had any pass game at all they would’ve won.

In 2008, Longview was completely outclassed by LT. The offense had zero response to LT’s defense, and Gilbert embarrassed the Lobo defense. King had no ideas and no plays or change of pace offensively to generate any spark for the team. Outclassed, ugly.

Longview doesn't win it all with Surratt any of those years.

And why are you bringing defense into this? Surratt ain't a defensive guy.

2015 loss because of defense. Surratt ain't a defensive guy, he's offensive..

2011...you really think a passing game would've worked in all of that wind in Corsicana? Nope. Were you there?

2009..Longview had experience...but so did LT. Most importantly LT's experience was healthy. Longview's wasn't. Surratt definitely wouldn't have made a difference.

2008...plethora of things caused that loss but the Longview D was mostly to blame. Again, Surratt has nothing to do with defense.

2010...Longview ain't beating Steele with Surratt. Steele bullied the spread all year that year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

WHAT?   It's his first yr 

So playoffs for Lee in 2018?

No excuses as several other teams in the district have graduated alot and Lee returns 11 starters.

Playoffs shouldn't be an issue for Lee in 2018 since Traylor is so great..

3 minutes ago, ANTI said:

2011...you really think a passing game would've worked in all of that wind in Corsicana? Nope. Were you there?

2009..Longview had experience...but so did LT. Most importantly LT's experience was healthy. Longview's wasn't. Surratt definitely wouldn't have made a difference.

2008...plethora of things caused that loss but the Longview D was mostly to blame. Again, Surratt has nothing to do with defense.

2010...Longview ain't beating Steele with Surratt. Steele bullied the spread all year that year.

Surratt is the head coach. He has everything to do with everything on the field and team. It’s his team just like King!

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Not saying they shouldn’t have won that game. 

But they still had to win the next week to claim a title.   That’s not a given. 

Same with Midway this year. Longview probably should have won.  But they may have been the one getting drilled in the title game instead of Midway. 

We are talking state championships are we not?

I thought they were saying one coach would’ve already had 4 titles....  you can’t give away semifinal games if you want to win title games.  Am I right.  That guyer game wasn’t getting outcoavhed, it was king making dumb decisions late that cost them.  I’m not certain what to say about the embarrassing loss at the hands of Lake Travis in Waco (4a game).  Gilbert threw for 350+ and ran for 100 as well.  That defense looked scared and not very physical.  The lake Travis band was impressive and took up most of the halftime allotment

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

I also think you don't know football and just rant about nothing...

I think you know so little about Carthage that you dismiss them because they’re not 5A or above. This lack of knowledge and blind bias for big schools won’t let you admit there are teams, players and coaches from “small schools” who can excel at any classification. 

29 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I thought they were saying one coach would’ve already had 4 titles....  you can’t give away semifinal games if you want to win title games.  Am I right.  That guyer game wasn’t getting outcoavhed, it was king making dumb decisions late that cost them.  I’m not certain what to say about the embarrassing loss at the hands of Lake Travis in Waco (4a game).  Gilbert threw for 350+ and ran for 100 as well.  That defense looked scared and not very physical.  The lake Travis band was impressive and took up most of the halftime allotment

That Guyer game was terrible coaching decisions to throw at the end instead of run. Those calls got them beat. Now, he made the play calls to pass. At that point, you have to execute and they didn’t have the talent to do it and certainly hadn’t had it drilled into them in practice or in pre-district games to execute when it mattered.

Surratt would’ve made the best calls and run the ball. King oddly went away from the run at the complete wrong time.

ANTI, I went to Buffalo Wild Wings today. As I walked in I saw four televisions with the Carthage Bulldogs on FSSW. 

There was no replay being broadcast of Longview’s 1937 state championship game victory. Television wasn’t around the last time the Lobos won a title yet you’re happy with the status quo and belittling the accomplishments and talents of other teams and coaches, because they did those things in smaller classifications.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Your not thinking X's and O's...I am.

Surratt isn't the perfect fit at Longview that you all make him to be.

How often does he use TE's? FB's? Rollouts, PA pass...stuff like that?

You have to adjust to the athlete...not force a system on them.

I’ve seen his offense throw for 500 yds one week and go for 350 on the ground the week before.  That was the state semifinals and the state championship game.  His offense is predicated on what the defense gives him.  That’s what a lot of these small “small school fans” call good coaching.  His offense isn’t a set in stone type.  He uses FBs, TEs, multiple wr even as many as 5.  I’ve seen Ingram line up in the slot to get a matchup they want.  It isn’t a set in stone approach.  He adjusts to the defense in game.  It’s been said many times his staff is one of the best at halftime and in game adjustments.  I don’t know what you big school folks call it, but us “small school fans” call it good coaching.  

Calling three pass plays plays with less than two minutes to go, with a lead, with a qb that hasn’t been very good all game has nothing to do with x’s and o’s Or jimmy’s and joe’s.  It’s called game management and what he called in that game was precisely stupid.  

so you’re saying a coach with a proven history of putting his talent in the best situations to win, and using his talent in a way to accomplish that to the max isn’t the right fit for Longview.....  you’re right...  he’s the right fit for Carthage.  They seem to like winning state championships pretty well.  First you have to want it, evidently the folks in Carthage do

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Ive watched Carthage play at Corsicana multiple times.  It was windy every time and they threw the ball effectively.  

yiure right.  Give king an extension