East Texas 5A Top Ten

NODAYSOFFTX

I'm guessing 2-10 is kinda by default. I'm also assuming everyone had huge JV seasons, to boost their expected upcoming turn around season.  Among those 10, there were 3 playoff wins (All by Lufkin) and 4 of them did not make the playoffs. Cupboard is bare??? or changing of regional football dominance, or coaching.....or what? I'm willing to listen. Texas Football is better when East Texas Football is strong. 

18 minutes ago, KarnackKing said:

I'm guessing 2-10 is kinda by default. I'm also assuming everyone had huge JV seasons, to boost their expected upcoming turn around season.  Among those 10, there were 3 playoff wins (All by Lufkin) and 4 of them did not make the playoffs. Cupboard is bare??? or changing of regional football dominance, or coaching.....or what? I'm willing to listen. Texas Football is better when East Texas Football is strong. 

JT had a qb problems and a major injury bug last season, which caused them to miss the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. But now they have qb transfer griffin from chapel hill who has a couple of D1 offers to add to barring injury from both them again, one the RB duos in east Texas along with K Street at wideout who also has some offers from Syracuse, houston, and a couple of others to name, and having veteran wr core overall will help a lot also. The oline will look nice to with also having one one top offensive tackles in east Texas in Billington who has offers from Iowa state, smu and I believe also Texas state. The main questions for JT is how the defense will fair with a lot of new faces, outside of the linebacker core, which you should be stout this season and the face of the defense and again fixing the qb problem something JT didn’t have to deal with for nearly 10 seasons until last season and somewhat this season. But it helps a lot getting griffin in. Now he will have to work on the arm alittle brings back we missed last season, a playmaking qb! That’s been JT qb’s MO a qb that can make a way out of no way and can run when the play breaks down, that’s what JT desperately missed last season. So to make it simple if JT wants to win district and go have a shot at state like have been then they put griffin at qb, if JT wants to be a mediocre team like season again, then woods or anybody else have at the position at qb then. JT has to much talent this year to let it go to waste, and imo this will probably be last year shot at state for JT for a long time. 

1 hour ago, KarnackKing said:

Pretty much.

East Texas 5A football is way down right now, and there's no secret it has been the last couple of seasons.

Lufkin returns a lot but still needs to replace their all everything in Philips on offense, but even so dropping down to 5A will be big for them.

John Tyler dropping down will help them as well, but they lost a lot on defense. They'll do well in their district, and should advance a couple rounds into the post season. I don't think they get past either Lufkin or College Station this season though.

Marshall returns a lot and having 5A D2 come along this year should help them. I don't think they're state material but who knows in this new system. Mavs felt like they should've beaten Poteet last year to at least get one playoff win.

Texas High, I don't know much about what they have coming back tbh. But by default, they should definitely be above the rest of East Texas 5A.

And the rest is just a toss up right now. Nacogdoches has a really good group coming up soon, but still need to prove it on the varsity level. I think they'll have their year next season really.

1 hour ago, KarnackKing said:

I'm guessing 2-10 is kinda by default.

For sure, especially Lufkin. Pretty much what 07 said.

Even if Lufkin stayed 6A, I would've had them top 15 in 6A. They return a bunch. I'm sure every major outlet out there will have Lufkin preseason ranked top 3 in all of 5A DI. 

JT will benefit from the drop down and potent offense returning. They have many holes to fill on defense though. But they have a predistrict that should have them more than ready. I'll say they go quarters. 

I expect Marshall to do fine in 5A D2 with all they have returning. Something similar to 2015 is probably in the making. 

Then there is everyone else. 

I see JT starting the season off 1-3. When only win in non District coming against Lee or whatever name it will be called by then. JT has to learn how to play even when they don’t have a do everything QB. In the last ten years JT has only had one true running back, and that was Jeremy Wilson. Your QB doesn’t have to be the bread winner every year. It helps this season that JT fell into a weak District. With all of this talented kids coming from the middle schools in Tyler; JT has only had one RB break the 1,000 mark in ten years. Which just gave teams something else to worry about, when it came to stopping JT offense. The offense that Coach Bush made for last season team  focused way too much on the deep ball and not enough on the intermediate passing game. If you have short QB roll him out of the pocket. Last season we saw how hard it was for him or them to look over or around the offensive line. 

I love my Pack, but i want to see who will be our next running back and if we can fill some key spots or holes on both sides of the ball. Phillips, Malik, Savon and Davis were huge for us last season. It wasn’t just their productivity, all of those guys played and at times started when they were sophomores. We had that senior leadership last season. So, i just want to see who we have that can replace them at those key positions. It’s Lufkin, I think we’ll always have talent....mostly on offense. And we bring back a good group on defense. I just want to see if it will all come together similar to last season. We need another good running back to replace Phillips. Don’t think we can just rely on Thomas and a good group of receivers that we’ll have returning next season. Also worried about special teams and coaching. Killed us against Longview. Defense “should” be strong again though with the talent, size and experience that we’ll returning. You always gotta worry about injuries too. Should we be preseason number one in the pines? Yea (not saying much). But top five in the state and title contender? Not sure. I have to see us against a talented Longview team on the road and in district on the road again in CS. What we did last season doesn’t matter..

58 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Pretty much.

East Texas 5A football is way down right now, and there's no secret it has been the last couple of seasons.

Lufkin returns a lot but still needs to replace their all everything in Philips on offense, but even so dropping down to 5A will be big for them.

John Tyler dropping down will help them as well, but they lost a lot on defense. They'll do well in their district, and should advance a couple rounds into the post season. I don't think they get past either Lufkin or College Station this season though.

Marshall returns a lot and having 5A D2 come along this year should help them. I don't think they're state material but who knows in this new system. Mavs felt like they should've beaten Poteet last year to at least get one playoff win.

Texas High, I don't know much about what they have coming back tbh. But by default, they should definitely be above the rest of East Texas 5A.

And the rest is just a toss up right now. Nacogdoches has a really good group coming up soon, but still need to prove it on the varsity level. I think they'll have their year next season really.

That’s something that I’ll actually be looking at this season....Roaches. Their fish squad was good last season. Took our boys to the woodshed. And we all know I never say anything good about those people to the north of us. But I’ll be watching them closely. I still don’t believe they will do that on varsity, but we’ll see..

57 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

1. Whitehouse

2.  Marshall

3. Texas High

4. Nac /PT

5. Sulphur springs

6. Hallsville

7. Lindale

8. Lufkin

9. John Tyler

10. Texas High

This is why people don’t take you seriously... even in the rare occasion you actually make a good point on something. 

Whitehouse #1?  Whyyyyyy???  Based on?  

ANYONE ranked above Lufkin is ridiculous. But Pine Tree?  Nac?  Hallsville?   They have 3 playoff wins between them in the last 30 years. 

JT #9???

Its not a humorous post..... therefore we are to think this is your true expectation. 

Vintage Lion.  You can’t help making yourself look like a rube. 

1 hour ago, Lion70 said:

1. Whitehouse

2.  Marshall

3. Texas High

4. Nac /PT

5. Sulphur springs

6. Hallsville

7. Lindale

8. Lufkin

9. John Tyler

10. Texas High

What the heck are you ranking?  This wouldn't even work for stadiums...

JT and lufkin will bring 5A Football back to prominence in the east Texas again. I honestly this could be the regional championship depending on the bracket pans out, haven’t seen it yet. And that no knock on highland Park the two time state champ or college station either, or won’t be a cakewalk. But what effect will highland park have with Allen gone and Jerry Jones grandson not there anymore? College station lost A TON too so are one hit team or will they try to bounce back?? My top 4 in the region would be 1. Lufkin 2.Highland Park 3.JT but could flip to two 4. College Station

9 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

JT and lufkin will bring 5A Football back to prominence in the east Texas again. I honestly this could be the regional championship depending on the bracket pans out, haven’t seen it yet. And that no knock on highland Park the two time state champ or college station either, or won’t be a cakewalk. But what effect will highland park have with Allen gone and Jerry Jones grandson not there anymore? College station lost A TON too so are one hit team or will they try to bounce back?? My top 4 in the region would be 1. Lufkin 2.Highland Park 3.JT but could flip to two 4. College Station

College Station definitely isn't a one hit team.

And Chad Morris' son is no slouch for Highland Park.

These rankings should be divided up by division instead of the current way, because basically 5a div1 and 5a div 2 are 2 different classes for football now.  Ranking the Div.1 teams you got to go Luf, JT, then THigh

Div.2...Marshall, WH, Nac, JVille, SS, Hallsville...the rest really doesn't matter

7 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

I see JT starting the season off 1-3. When only win in non District coming against Lee or whatever name it will be called by then. JT has to learn how to play even when they don’t have a do everything QB. In the last ten years JT has only had one true running back, and that was Jeremy Wilson. Your QB doesn’t have to be the bread winner every year. It helps this season that JT fell into a weak District. With all of this talented kids coming from the middle schools in Tyler; JT has only had one RB break the 1,000 mark in ten years. Which just gave teams something else to worry about, when it came to stopping JT offense. The offense that Coach Bush made for last season team  focused way too much on the deep ball and not enough on the intermediate passing game. If you have short QB roll him out of the pocket. Last season we saw how hard it was for him or them to look over or around the offensive line. 

The potential next QB isn't very tall either, only like 5'10 or so....and its no guarantee he will be the QB with Woods coming back (although I think he probably will be).  JT has some holes to fill, especially on the D-Line and O-Line, but they return tons of skill players and guys from the back 7 on Def.   The preseason schedule is tough....like back during the Coach Wilson days.  It will be a good measuring stick for the team. 

by the way, you might as well give up on the Name changing thing. I doubt it's happening anytime soon.

7 hours ago, ANTI said:

For sure, especially Lufkin. Pretty much what 07 said.

Even if Lufkin stayed 6A, I would've had them top 15 in 6A. They return a bunch. I'm sure every major outlet out there will have Lufkin preseason ranked top 3 in all of 5A DI. 

JT will benefit from the drop down and potent offense returning. They have many holes to fill on defense though. But they have a predistrict that should have them more than ready. I'll say they go quarters. 

I expect Marshall to do fine in 5A D2 with all they have returning. Something similar to 2015 is probably in the making. 

Then there is everyone else. 

so what's your prediction (and lobo07) for your preseason games vs JT and Luf....projected scores. (by the way, I see JT is homecoming game)

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

so what's your prediction (and lobo07) for your preseason games vs JT and Luf....projected scores. (by the way, I see JT is homecoming game)

It's way early, but I'd say:

Longview beats LP 31-21

Longview beats JT 38-17

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

It's way early, but I'd say:

Longview beats LP 31-21

Longview beats JT 38-17

cool. LV offense will be tough to stop.  You never know how rivalries will go, but on paper I was thinking 14-17 points in favor of LV.

I'm cautiously optimistic about 2018 for Marshall.  

1.  Our very young and inexperienced Sophomore QB from 2017 will enter the 2018 season with tons of experience. He's coming off of a pretty spectacular season for a 10th grader.  He had 20 touchdowns and nearly 1,800 yards passing.  He will be a year older, stronger, patient, etc etc..... most of his WR corps will return.

2.  The new district (9-5A Div II) could be ours to lose....but we don't have the luxury of overlooking anyone.  Lindale has a history of playing the top tier teams close.  Jacksonville is looking to become an annual playoff contender again after some down seasons.  Nac always has athletes, but seems to struggle to pull it all together.  PT made some progress by ending their long drought last season.  IMHO...no excuse for Marshall not to win their 3rd district title in 4 years in 2018.  Not doing so would be disappointing.  

3.  Being in region III will be a change for Marshall, Hallsville, PT, and MP after being in region II for the last 17 seasons.  The last time Marshall was in region III?  2004 and and 2005..... Mavs were state finalist.  A favorable first round matchup could shape up for Marshall if we can secure the district championship.

4.  I honestly believe Coach Mathis has assembled one of the best coaching staff in the region here in Marshall.  In spite of some offseason uncertainty with personnel, the staff did an OUTSTANDING job keeping the athletes focused and working.  The powerlifting team had another banner year....and the relay teams have been tearing it up this spring.  Coaches have been working their tails off with these players and it's paid dividends.  

5.  Tons of players coming back on both the OL and DL.  Both struggled early on last season...but gelled as the season progressed.  They will need to step up their game in 2018 to advance the program to the next level.

Concerns?

1.  Running back needs.  EIther by committee or a single power back....we need this to help the QB out.  

2.  Opening the season with Lee, Longview, and Carthage and the prospect of an 0-3 start.

3.  Injuries.  Can't overlook this..... we ended up with our 3rd string QB starting 10 games last year.  

4.  Believing too much hype.  The community is high on this team this year.  But they still have to go out and execute.  

------

Pretty excited about 2017.  I think it could be special.  Just going to sit back and enjoy it.

6 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

The potential next QB isn't very tall either, only like 5'10 or so....and its no guarantee he will be the QB with Woods coming back (although I think he probably will be).  JT has some holes to fill, especially on the D-Line and O-Line, but they return tons of skill players and guys from the back 7 on Def.   The preseason schedule is tough....like back during the Coach Wilson days.  It will be a good measuring stick for the team. 

by the way, you might as well give up on the Name changing thing. I doubt it's happening anytime soon.

JT needs to bring back the offense from 2014. I think was William Blaylock first Year at JT, Or even the 2013 season with play fakes in the backfield to get the RB out in space. Now obviously the coaches are going to do what they think is best for the kids they have.

11 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

The potential next QB isn't very tall either, only like 5'10 or so....and its no guarantee he will be the QB with Woods coming back (although I think he probably will be).  

What happened to Warren? He started for yall last year.