Huge Upset In 4A!!

OneTreehill

On 5/5/2018 at 7:55 PM, OneTreehill said:

Congrats to the Rains Lady Cats!! After losing the first game of the series they came back and knocked off Carthage who was ranked # 1 in a couple of polls and 3 in another one!! Great job to our neighbors!!!

When I first saw that Rains defeated #1 Carthage on another site, my jaw dropped. Congrats to Rains. What I find impressive is Rains defeated Carthage in a 3 game series, not just one, where a lot of big guns get shot down early. Again, congrats Lady Cats! Good luck the rest of the playoffs.

23 hours ago, DawgMan2018 said:

Very well coached team that followed their gameplan to a T. Huge advantage in the coaching department, IMHO. Very good group of very young players at Rains, bright future ahead of them.

Ahh, the anonymous post about being out coached.   Very brave.  The long knives come out.... A couple of points, if I may...

Although yes this was an upset, these rankings are not very scientific to say the least.  One man, responsible for every classification, going on the hearsay of coaches and parents.  Softball needs more of a model of THSBCA, IMHO.  

Secondly, coaches will receive (and some rightfully so in some cases) criticism, especially with an earlier exit than people intended.  Throwing errors, inconsistency in hitting spots.....those were huge factors in this series.  Players have to make plays, bottom line.  

There is no one more meticulous in planning and game planning that McFall.  I can attest to that.  To make a run, you have to be good and lucky.  Things have to fall a certain way, while also putting your squad in the best possible positions to win.  Kudos to Rains.  They made the plays, and made the most of their opportunities.  Will be a good series with Bullard.  

2 hours ago, middleoftheroad said:

Ahh, the anonymous post about being out coached.   Very brave.  The long knives come out.... A couple of points, if I may...

Although yes this was an upset, these rankings are not very scientific to say the least.  One man, responsible for every classification, going on the hearsay of coaches and parents.  Softball needs more of a model of THSBCA, IMHO.  

Secondly, coaches will receive (and some rightfully so in some cases) criticism, especially with an earlier exit than people intended.  Throwing errors, inconsistency in hitting spots.....those were huge factors in this series.  Players have to make plays, bottom line.  

There is no one more meticulous in planning and game planning that McFall.  I can attest to that.  To make a run, you have to be good and lucky.  Things have to fall a certain way, while also putting your squad in the best possible positions to win.  Kudos to Rains.  They made the plays, and made the most of their opportunities.  Will be a good series with Bullard.  

I am not sure where you saw me say the coach lost the series...? 

On 5/7/2018 at 8:38 AM, DawgMan2018 said:

Very well coached team that followed their gameplan to a T. Huge advantage in the coaching department, IMHO. Very good group of very young players at Rains, bright future ahead of them.

Even when I read it again... hmmm

Rains executed a very good gameplan and deserved to win on their own merit, no doubt. 

I cannot attest to his meticulous work ethic, as I do not know him well. I can attest to the fact that, in my humble opinion, he was out coached this past weekend.

I personally was impressed with adjustments and energy shown by the Rains coach and unimpressed with the adjustments and energy on our side. 

Sorry that I made you anonymously scold me for my earlier anonymous post, I guess.

Good luck to Rains

Just looked like a passive aggressive swipe at the coach there.  Your "huge advantage in the coaching department" may have been it.  I could be wrong, Lord knows I have been before.  And will again.  

Your first post rhetorically asks where I saw you say coaching lost the series, then in your 2nd post, you strongly imply.....coaching lost the series (and in bold).    

I wasn't scolding anyone.  Just thought maybe it was a swipe at coaching in the original post.  That is all.  No worries here.

Coach Kniffen

Tyler Lee

1 hour ago, DawgMan2018 said:

Very well coached team that followed their gameplan to a T. Huge advantage in the coaching department, IMHO

OK, I understand the sensitivity now.... I said he was "in my opinion, out coached this past weekend". I am not making an effort to imply anything. I didn't say that coaching lost the series. I said Rains followed a game plan and made adjustments throughout the series, and Carthage did not. This was a post intended to congratulate Rains and offer an "attaboy" to their coach. It was not intended to be a "passive aggressive" swipe at the high school coaching community or McFall. 

Unfortunately, I have been privy to a several different coaches who were handed a winning hand. Sometimes a coach is the difference, sometimes kids make coaches look better than they are, and sometimes coaches make kids look better than they are. Sometimes, the moment overwhelms them. Sometimes opinions differ on just exactly what happened. Had I seen you at the games this past weekend, I'm sure I would've enjoyed discussing our differences of opinion with you. 

Justin Pierce

• 1 month later...

Rains was a quality team, and if you look at the previous "Coaching Openings" post from this past summer, I made note that this was the biggest hire. It was obvious that Rains found a quality softball coach, and it paid off.

Nothing against Coach McFall! He has always run a quality program and tournament at White Oak. His move was different though as he went to Carthage, a school that has always been successful.

Rains, on the other hand, did not have a strong softball history. The new hire and some quality young athletes have changed that quickly. Also, with Rains moving to 3A the next two years... They should be the favorite in 3A Region 2 to make it to Austin in 2019 & 2020.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, Hayseed said:

Congrats to Rains. The lady 'Dogs will surely bounce back from this though!

You do realize this was from last year, right?  The Lady Bulldogs are undefeated thus far in 2019.  I think these two teams will meet again in the playoffs.

• LOL! 3

On 2/28/2019 at 10:01 AM, blackflag79 said:

You do realize this was from last year, right?  The Lady Bulldogs are undefeated thus far in 2019.  I think these two teams will meet again in the playoffs.

Haaaa, oops!