🐎 UPDATE: Overton hires current DC Justin Arnold as new AD

A big reason alot of kids quit was because of Strickland.  Some didn't like being disciplined, some just didn't like the guy.  And some knew he wasn't as committed to the program as everyone wanted him to be.  Don't get me wrong, I dont like ANY reasons for quitting. But when a guy, as we say "turns the program around" and starts job hunting before basketball season is a week old, even a high school kid can feel dejected. I'm all for a coach moving on to bigger and better, and I know small schools are a stepping stone for that, but he wasn't even looking forward to year two in Overton.  I guess some kids returned the favor.  I don't like that attitude because I had two boys on the 1-9 team last season. They understand how a season can change due to a few kids stepping back.  Hopefully the new guy can pump some motivation into those who need it.  I wish Strickland well.  He is a good football coach.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

A big reason a lot of kids quit was because of Strickland.  Some didn't like being disciplined, some just didn't like the guy.  And some knew he wasn't as committed to the program as everyone wanted him to be.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like ANY reasons for quitting. But when a guy, as we say "turns the program around" and starts job hunting before basketball season is a week old, even a high school kid can feel dejected. I'm all for a coach moving on to bigger and better, and I know small schools are a stepping stone for that, but he wasn't even looking forward to year two in Overton.  I guess some kids returned the favor.  I don't like that attitude because I had two boys on the 1-9 team last season. They understand how a season can change due to a few kids stepping back.  Hopefully the new guy can pump some motivation into those who need it.  I wish Strickland well.  He is a good football coach.

Agree with what Mania states here...seems like this past football season was a perfect storm of bad circumstances...can't fault a guy for wanting to increase his financial bottom line...Overton, I'm sure cannot pay as well as many other 2A or bigger schools...doubt he told the school board I'll be looking for another position after the first year, not sure that would have enamoured himself to the board...my son played at Overton and was fortunate to have the same HC all four years and that coach did stay eight years total...kids like consistency and they have not had that for a while now...don't envy the board with having to make choices like these...in my humble opinon I think two choices might be the best...1) hire a young man who has ties to the school and town, who is passionate about getting the entire athletic program moving foward (not just football and not just boys athletics)...who will move into the district and become a part of the community...or 2) hire a coach who is looking to finish out his career at a school, who has had success at other schools, who also will move into the district and becaome a part of the community.

Hope Stickland finds success.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, Dawgman said:

Kerry Strong takes this one. He and coach Arnold will see who grows the best beard.

I heard Kerry Strong is from the Bear Bryant coaching tree. I believe there is another OVERTON legend still out there waiting on a call while he and Strong fish every afternoon. 

4 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Well didnt they pass on Travis a few years back?  He might not have had experience but he had passion.  I was pulling for him.  Always thought he was a great guy.

Good posts Mania and Ronster

Travis never applied as far as I know.  Left us for the Mineola baseball job.

3 hours ago, FlyLikeAnEagle said:

I believe there is another OVERTON legend still out there waiting on a call while he and Strong fish every afternoon. 

The track record of "Overton legends coming back" hasn't been good.  

Whoever they get, I hope it's someone committed to building the entire athletic program and getting the most out of the athletes. 

• Like 1

My Jr. Year we got Jodie Stringer. He was one of the hardest coaches I've ever had. But we needed it, we didn't run from it. As a team we embraced the discipline and he was only at Overton for a year (if that) but it changed our whole culture and mindset. Especially coming from the Buddy Timme era.

But I knew once they hired him, it was the absolute wrong decision. 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:20 PM, OneTreehill said:

LOLOLOL!!! By record yes, that's because all they play are Arkansas schools...hardly a legitimate measuring stick to go by!!!! When they start playing (and beating) anybody outside of hickville USA they can brag!!! I've seen quite a few of the "power house" football teams in Arky play and very few could compete with Texas, Florida, California and Ohio teams...like I said , they are a good program IN ARKANSAS...not so much outside of the state. 

No going to argue and say Arkansas High School football is anywhere close to Texas, because Texas has the best High School football in the country.

But, didn't an Arkansas school recently beat Highland Park, in University Park, and stop some long home winning streak for the Scots? And then didn't Hp go on to win a state championship?

Don't discount the top 10 programs in the state of Arkansas, they can play with most teams of equal size. Arkansas just does not have the depth of talent that is in Texas.

Name: Stephen DuBose

Email: [email protected]

Message: Overton Independent School District has an opening for the following position:

Athletic Director/Head Football Coach/Dean of Students. Must have a valid Texas teaching certification • Must have at least 5 years experience as a coach, Current CDL, Knowledge of overall operations of an athletic program. Knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures. Proven ability to motivate student athletes. Ability to develop and implement policy and procedures. Ability to manage budget and personnel. Excellent public relations, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. Preference given to current Overton ISD employees Applications will be taken through May 25, 2018.

Applicants may send application, resume, and letters of interest to:

Stephen DuBose

Superintendent

Overton ISD

[email protected]

fax: 903-834-6755

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2018 at 10:41 PM, jimmyjohnson said:

Yup, so in other words, non Overton ISD employees need not apply?!!  Then why post it ?!! Stupidity 

It's required.  It would be stupid not to follow the rules.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, Dawgman said:

The Overton Legend that they named the Mustang statue of? The Kelly Cook!

He hasn't applied since Talkington was rehired his "last go-round"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AKA said:

Is there a "Byrd" interested in being at the top of the pecking order? 

Going to be interesting that's for sure. But knowing Overton they will go with somebody who will max out after 2 years. I would like to see Portley come back though.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 7:32 AM, MUSTANGMANIA said:

It's required.  It would be stupid not to follow the rules.

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure this has been stated with every previous posting for the position. I work in school administration and I see this language all the time. I don't know why "jimmyjohnson" has his jimmies rustled over this. 

I know every single person on that school board and in the administration, and I'm certain that the leadership wants a winner. Whether that winner is a "former legend," an assistant currently on staff, or some random dude coaching pygmy football in Polynesia...   they want the best man for the job. Period. 

On 5/16/2018 at 8:15 AM, HJR7 said:

I would like to see Portley come back though.

I like Portley a lot, but it also seems like he's got a really good set-up right now.

That said, if he puts in for it, he certainly deserves consideration. 

19 minutes ago, AKA said:

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure this has been stated with every previous posting for the position. I work in school administration and I see this language all the time. I don't know why "jimmyjohnson" has his jimmies rustled over this. 

That is LANGUAGE used by many districts on EVERY posted job opening to encourage internal applicants. Some people should stop thinking everything is a conspiracy. 

5 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

That is LANGUAGE used by many districts on EVERY posted job opening to encourage internal applicants. Some people should stop thinking everything is a conspiracy. 

So you're saying that Russian hackers are involved. :tinfoil:

• LOL! 1

Also at this late date they may feel staying inside is the best way to go.

They are telling external candidates what they feel the best direction is going to be.

I have heard many times coaches upset after interviewing and the hire was going to be inside the whole time. 

Going to be mad folks anyway you go with it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

I have heard many times coaches upset after interviewing and the hire was going to be inside the whole time

I'm no longer an O-town insider, but I would be very shocked if this were the case.

Not saying it won't be an internal hire, but I doubt very seriously that anyone's mind is already made up. I bet they want to cast a wide net first. 

Overton is old School with the applications. You can email resume and such but paper print out fill out and mail. This just went online the other day maybe till next week when they start getting applications in. In saying that, wish everyone was required to have an online one you can fill out and print out and send or just completely online. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 🐎 UPDATE: Overton hires current DC Justin Arnold as new AD