Tatum HC moving to OC?

randomuser

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Pretty sure making the playoffs actually cost more money than the revenue that it brings in.

I'm pretty sure teams like Carthage, Gilmer, Kilgore, Longview, etc.... on the whole as a program make money. Tell those four schools athletics isn't important and see what happens to their academic numbers. Maybe making the playoffs does cost them money, you going to tell me what the bring in during the year and the experience for all the kids involved to be a part of the programs aren't worth it?

10 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Exactly what information are we putting out there that is forcing coaches to have to explain?

Community- “Coach, you care to explain why Tatum fans are saying they’ll support an 0-10 season just as much as a 16-0 season?”

You totally misunderstood my post. 

Also, it's easy to type "we support 0-10 just as much as 16-0" lol

I know, FOR A FACT, Tatum does not support a coaching staff that isn't successful. If that were the case, why isn't Barker staying on as AD? Why didn't Andy Evans continue coaching? Family issues? Give me a break man, Tatum wants success, and rightfully so. Ya'll have a way of pressuring a man to step down or aside and you don't even know you're doing it.

• Stinks 1

4 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

I'm pretty sure teams like Carthage, Gilmer, Kilgore, Longview, etc.... on the whole as a program make money. Tell those four schools athletics isn't important and see what happens to their academic numbers. Maybe making the playoffs does cost them money, you going to tell me what the bring in during the year and the experience for all the kids involved to be a part of the programs aren't worth it?

High School is about so much more than just getting an education. Are academics important? heck yes they are. 

But, they are not the only education kids get. Academics don't teach Leadership, Teamwork, physically accomplishing goal, or putting yourself second so that the TEAM achieves success. IMO, these skills are just as important as Academia.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

5 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

Not trying to be nit-picky, but the teams themselves (equipment, facilities, travel, coaches) are an expenditure. The revenue comes from advertisement, admission/concessions. 

In order for a program to be profitable (or hell, just break even) they must win. Even so, the margins are a lot tighter than most think. 

1 minute ago, playactionpass39 said:

High School is about so much more than just getting an education. Are academics important? heck yes they are. 

But, they are not the only education kids get. Academics don't teach Leadership, Teamwork, physically accomplishing goal, or putting yourself second so that the TEAM achieves success. IMO, these skills are just as important as Academia.

Great point. I had pretty good teachers. Exceptional, really, considering the small school I attended. 

But man, the stuff I learned from my coaches. Self-discipline. Sacrifice for the greater good. Working as a team. Overcoming adversity. Etc. Soooooo much of that came from my coaches.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

I work in athletics.  I know the importance of it.  I was just pointing out that value is seen in different ways.  Some school brass see only profit and loss.  Others see the value beyond the dollar amount.  

Sports in the Secondary school settings are a loss 99% of the time.  But the value comes from the mentoring, the accountability, and the supervision and leadership kids get.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKA said:

Not trying to be nit-picky, but the teams themselves (equipment, facilities, travel, coaches) are an expenditure. The revenue comes from advertisement, admission/concessions. 

In order for a program to be profitable (or hell, just break even) they must win. Even so, the margins are a lot tighter than most think. 

Agreed, except for places like Carthage and Gilmer. Their numbers of athletes/equipment is small enough to make money for the crowds they attract, like you said, they win. Also, small towns that are successful also do pretty well in this area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

The money part of my post was just a final footnote. Take that out of the equation then. All I'm saying is that the people in charge that just preach academics are the most important thing, have no clue how important athletics and extra-curricular activities are to kids. 

2 minutes ago, AKA said:

Great point. I had pretty good teachers. Exceptional, really, considering the small school I attended. 

But man, the stuff I learned from my coaches. Self-discipline. Sacrifice for the greater good. Working as a team. Overcoming adversity. Etc. Soooooo much of that came from my coaches.

And you will never get that in the classroom. Everybody wants to talk about how schools are raising kids now, not the parents. Coaches have been doing it since athletics were made apart of schools. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

The money part of my post was just a final footnote. Take that out of the equation then. All I'm saying is that the people in charge that just preach academics are the most important thing, have no clue how important athletics and extra-curricular activities are to kids. 

No doubt.  👍

20 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

I know, FOR A FACT, Tatum does not support a coaching staff that isn't successful.

You ain't been on smoaky long if you think we don't support our team at 0-10. And you ain't been on smoaky long if you think we don't show full support for any coaching staff that we've ever had. As far as people in the crowd....every town has got those people everywhere that are gonna complain no matter what. Of course we want our team to win....doesn't everyone? The cold hard truth of it is never will there be a day when a coach has full 100% support. That kind of fairy tale doesn't exist. It's part of coaching. 

10 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

I know, FOR A FACT, Tatum does not support a coaching staff that isn't successful. If that were the case, why isn't Barker staying on as AD? Why didn't Andy Evans continue coaching? Family issues? Give me a break man, Tatum wants success, and rightfully so. Ya'll have a way of pressuring a man to step down or aside and you don't even know you're doing it.

You said Tatum fans on Smoaky are pressuring the coaches. I asked for an example. Don’t want to give any? Fine. But when the ones of us that say we are behind the coaching staff say we support them, even after an 0-10 season, we mean it. Barker went 3-8 last year, I still want him here as does the other guys I know. So before you lump everyone together, know what you are talking about. I’m sure as with every other school, people want results now. I’m patient and know sometimes it takes a couple to a few years to build a program. Talent comes and goes. Sometimes you are loaded and sometimes you just have a few playmakers. We haven’t had quite the talent pool that we’ve had in the past, at least not as deep. I look at all aspects as to why we may or may not be successful. I very much understand why we struggled last year and I can’t put the blame on coaching. Anyway, I’m going to let y’all do yalls thing on this thread and I’ll watch from a distance. 

Btw, my name is Wes Shue. Everyone in Tatum knows exactly who I am. I don’t hide behind a screen name because I never bash coaches. I’m not concerned with what people think of me. What was your name again?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

Welp! This got testy rather quickly. No one accused any of you bashing coaches. Go find those words in any of my posts.

No, you just accused us of pressuring the coaches. You specifically called out people on Smoaky. Go talk to our coaches. They’ll take us few boys on Smoaky all day everyday as fans. 

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I could NEVER understand why Tatum would hire a Superintendent that is so ANTI Athletics. That may have been the dumbest think in the history of the school. This school districts identity is tied to athletics.  

Firstly, he isn't anti athletics!!!! Far from it, but first and foremost the responsibility of schools are to educate students. Although athletics is a part of educating, it's not the "be all". 

A school's identity being tied to athletics isn't exactly a shining star for all students. It's great for many kids and gives them opportunities that could be far reaching in life, but they are still students that are in school to learn things far beyond the athletic realm.

Dr. Richardson is one of the best. Any school would be lucky to have him working to make their school the best.

• Confused 1

Just now, Golfingnut said:

Firstly, he isn't anti athletics!!!! Far from it, but first and foremost the responsibility of schools are to educate students. Although athletics is a part of educating, it's not the "be all". 

A school's identity being tied to athletics isn't exactly a shining star for all students. It's great for many kids and gives them opportunities that could be far reaching in life, but they are still students that are in school to learn things far beyond the athletic realm.

Dr. Richardson is one of the best. Any school would be lucky to have him working to make their school the best.

I will take your word for it.

Not what the Gladewater Football coaches say though.

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Over his last two stops, Gladewater and Tatum, he has proven to be ANTI athletics. He makes it next to impossible to get quality coaches and then makes it impossible to keep those coaches. He down plays the importance of athletics in the education process and refuses to allow athletics to have a position of importance. It's not hard to have and academic and athletic balance, but he is a classic ACADEMIA that thinks only stupid people place an importance on athletics.

You have no ideal what you are talking about!!! Why don't you fill us in since you think you have all the answers. Let's see, let's start with Gladewater. Answer these questions.

How Long was he there?

How many coaches did Gladewater have during his time there?

Why did the coaches leave?

What about those coaches that were in Gladewater make them not quality coaches?

Go for it and back up your accusations.

4 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

You have no ideal what you are talking about!!! Why don't you fill us in since you think you have all the answers. Let's see, let's start with Gladewater. Answer these questions.

How Long was he there?

How many coaches did Gladewater have during his time there?

Why did the coaches leave?

What about those coaches that were in Gladewater make them not quality coaches?

Go for it and back up your accusations.

Just telling you what more than one Gladewater football coach said. You are shooting the messenger.

Never said the Gladewater coaches weren't quality. The staff is very good in Gladewater and they get a ton out of their kids.

What accusations?

He was there 8 years.

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Were you drinking when you typed this?

Really, academics don't teach leadership, goal accomplishment or teamwork???

You can't really believe that!!!

There are as many team and individual competitions in academics as there are in athletics. When I was in school there weren't many athletic opportunities for girls. So, according to your statement those girls & students not involved in athletics today, didn't or can't learn qualities like leadership, goal accomplishment and teamwork? 

SMH

16 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

There are as many team and individual competitions in academics as there are in athletics. When I was in school there weren't many athletic opportunities for girls. So, according to your statement those girls & students not involved in athletics today, didn't or can't learn qualities like leadership, goal accomplishment and teamwork? 

SMH

I think I said "physically" accomplished goals???? You might want to re-read.

Nothing teaches leadership like athletics, you can argue all you want, that is my opinion. 

Nothing teaches Teamwork like Team sports, again you can argue all you want, that is my opinion.

No other endeavor in the life as a teenager requires them to put themselves second, except Athletics.

In our me, me, me society, athletics teach that there are things bigger that YOU. 

Athletics are a Cornerstone of our society and they teach so much more than you can simply get in a classroom. 

Academia by definition is a SOLO endeavor.

And yes, I include band, cheer leading, dance and other physically demanding areas when I say sports.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

SMH

Wow you're reaching now. He never said you had to play sports to get the expierience in those qualities. There is teamwork and leadership in band, drill team, cheerleading, flag corps, ag projects, debate teams, media. I could go on for days. Good grief, nobody is saying academics aren't important. Of course they are, however all these other things help academics in their own right. Again I'll say, take away the entire athletic programs for some of the area schools, and see what happens to the test scores, Gpa's and graduation rates.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

SMH

IMO, boys learn a heck of a lot more about life and becoming a man in football than they do in Number Sense.

• LOL! 1

2 minutes ago, Alpha99 said:

Wow you're reaching now. He never said you had to play sports to get the expierience in those qualities. There is teamwork and leadership in band, drill team, cheerleading, flag corps, ag projects, debate teams, media. I could go on for days. Good grief, nobody is saying academics aren't important. Of course they are, however all these other things help academics in their own right. Again I'll say, take away the entire athletic programs for some of the area schools, and see what happens to the test scores, Gpa's and graduation rates.

Thank you, somebody who gets it.