Proposal to ban train horns at football games

Only ONE rule needs to be made about train horns IMHO:  NO HORN WHILE THE BALL IS IN PLAY.

Otherwise they need to keep their nose out of it.

I've seen teams sound it on kickoffs to distract the receiving team.  Bush league.  

Other than that...... booster clubs should be able to support their team however they see fit.  

JMHO

• Like 5

I don't like the train horns.  The fans should be all the noise a team needs to support their team.  They add nothing to the game in my opinion other than a lot of artificial unnecessary noise .... I think playoff game sites should be left up to the two schools to decide ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 2

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don't like the train horns.  The fans should be all the noise a team needs to support their team.  The add nothing to the game in my opinion other than a lot of artificial unnecessary noise .... I think playoff game sites should be left up to the two schools to decide ....

I think Union Pacific Railroad should have to re-locate the tracks beside the end zone @ Jacksonville, too... Besides it being a tremendous nuisance to the fans trying to watch the game, it is ALSO potentially a danger to life , health & property if anything catastrophic were to happen... Who knows What is in some of those train cars...

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, goparishpanthers2015 said:

Just read where there is proposal being submitted to the UIL to ban train horns at football games. Any thoughts? They don't bother me once I know a team had one. The one thing I could never get used to was when we lived in Tyler in the early 70's was Lee firing their cannon. I jumped every time-LOL!

I don't mind them unless the person is blasting one in my ear, but I think it should only be after touchdowns or huge stops on defense near the goal line.  As for the train in Jacksonville, that stadium as been there since :   The new stadium, a year and a half in the making, was pressed into use long before it was completed, as the first athletic contest in the new stadium took place September 27, 1040.  from this site :  https://www.jisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=662644&type=d&pREC_ID=1113300  I guess the real Indians were playing back then.  Actually I know it was 1940, but that train has been running through that town since the 1850's.  I've heard they might build a new stadium, but it's going to be at the same site it is now.  

Kirt you sound like the Shelbyville ISD campus cop. The train horns are great, but they should be limited to when the team comes on the field and after a score. As far as playoff sites, I think a district champion should get to choose the site in round 1, as long as it’s a turf field. I know that by the time playoffs start, our field is in no shape to host a playoff game. If a district champion has turf, they should get to host. If a 4 seed can go into a 1 seed’s house and beat them, then they proved they belong in the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I don't have a problem with the horn as long as it is used appropriately. If it is used improperly during the game then an Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty should be administered to the Team whose fan base is at fault.

I agree, the appropriate place is on the front of a locomotive ...

• Like 1
  • Stinks 2

Train horns were kinda cool back when there were only a handful of schools that had them.... these days nearly everyone has them, even though you can pretty much only use them at pre-district games or playoff games where the stadium allows them. They are a PITA to haul around and you normally have to haul a generator with it. Wouldn’t bother me one bit if they banned them. 

I have no problem with them, just think they should be only used during the playoff games. That way, come playoff time, it would bring something new to the game, since you hadn't been hearing it all season long.

5 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don't like the train horns.  The fans should be all the noise a team needs to support their team.  They add nothing to the game in my opinion other than a lot of artificial unnecessary noise .... I think playoff game sites should be left up to the two schools to decide ....

Because something doesn't add anything in the opinion of certain fans shouldn't mean they should be banned for those who believe otherwise.  This is pretty much what the gun control freaks point is - they don't have a use for guns therefore we should all be deprived of them.  I am pretty sure KF does not take this position.

1 hour ago, Aggie98 said:

Train horns were kinda cool back when there were only a handful of schools that had them.... these days nearly everyone has them, even though you can pretty much only use them at pre-district games or playoff games where the stadium allows them. They are a PITA to haul around and you normally have to haul a generator with it. Wouldn’t bother me one bit if they banned them. 

The Gunter horn is allowed at every away game and the opposition's horn is allowed at all Gunter home games.  I do not recall a playoff game where the horn was not allowed and if there is a venue that doesn't allow them most likely neither team will agree to that venue.  It is a part of the game especially for smaller classifications.  Gunter uses it for run-in and scores.  I agree it should not be allowed during a play.

17 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Because something doesn't add anything in the opinion of certain fans shouldn't mean they should be banned for those who believe otherwise.  This is pretty much what the gun control freaks point is - they don't have a use for guns therefore we should all be deprived of them.  I am pretty sure KF does not take this position.

Apples and oranges ...

We were at a playoff game against Lexington. They has the loudest horn. Most of the Arp fan were mad because the horn kept going off. I stated if you don't want to hear the horn shut them down. Well I can still hear that horn.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Spud

• Like 2

16 hours ago, goparishpanthers2015 said:

Just read where there is proposal being submitted to the UIL to ban train horns at football games. Any thoughts? They don't bother me once I know a team had one. The one thing I could never get used to was when we lived in Tyler in the early 70's was Lee firing their cannon. I jumped every time-LOL!

Yep. That thing ended up at Brook Hill. I haven't heard it in awhile so I'm not sure if they still use it. The first couple of times I heard it, I thought my wife had driven thru the wall in the garage. I'm about 3-4 miles away via the roads, but probably less than 1/2 mile as the crow flies. It was loud.

I hate the train horn, but it's probably because every time Tatum came to town they played it after every score. They scored pretty much at will. 

16 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I don't have a problem with the horn as long as it is used appropriately. If it is used improperly during the game then an Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty should be administered to the Team whose fan base is at fault.

Agreed!