Proposal to ban train horns at football games

I would love to see the horns banned; or, at least require them to be aimed towards the stands.

Those things are almost lethal for folks who have to be on the field, yet are not fans of the team with the horn.

While running chains, I had one go off literally 10 feet away, almost blew me down. Did cause momentary hearing loss

4 hours ago, 73tigers said:

I would love to see the horns banned; or, at least require them to be aimed towards the stands.

Those things are almost lethal for folks who have to be on the field, yet are not fans of the team with the horn.

While running chains, I had one go off literally 10 feet away, almost blew me down. Did cause momentary hearing loss

Aim them straight up; as for the playoff sites, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

10 hours ago, sumospud said:

We were at a playoff game against Lexington. They has the loudest horn. Most of the Arp fan were mad because the horn kept going off. I stated if you don't want to hear the horn shut them down. Well I can still hear that horn.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Spud

We played lexington alot in district but the last two times we played them they only scored 7 points total.... Thank god they have the loudest horn

9 hours ago, Hlion said:

You can call anything but that. I can honestly say I ain't one of those. That's a sickness that you can't wash off nor take medicine for.

II am pretty sure train horns are in the 2nd amendment.  You must be  democrat.

• LOL! 1

45 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

First its goin to be the horns then the cowbells then the milk jug with change in it.... Finally no clapping because it will put the other team down smh.... If the other team doesn't like the horn goin off then stop em

Preach!!!!!!  

21 hours ago, Hlion said:

Couldn't the District champ have a automatic choice of a venue in case there stadium wasn't exactly up to par. Ex : Tenaha ( never been to the stadium ) couldn't they have Carthage or Marshall as backup assuming they weren't District champs? I personally like the idea and more than usual the DC beats the 4th place team anyways. 

Not very many home field advantages better than Tenaha. 

3 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

First its goin to be the horns then the cowbells then the milk jug with change in it.... Finally no clapping because it will put the other team down smh.... If the other team doesn't like the horn goin off then stop em

KInda like tennis or golf...ssshhhhhhhhhhhh and be still!!!!!!!

• LOL! 2

I hate the train horns.  But, I guess it's someone's right to deafen everyone in the stadium, so far be it from me to deny someone the joy they get from being obnoxious as heck.  Just seems a little cheap to me.  You don't have to have any fan support to make noise with a train horn.

I like the cow bells and the propane tanks, or....people in the stands clapping and yelling🙀

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hlion said:

I like you as a poster despite your flaw. Democrats are pretty much the same in Austin so you might wanna look around.

So we agree about us as posters.  If I lived in Austin, I could understand but I'm bleeding orange right here in the middle of all these aggie fans in Lovelady! lol. The hardest thing i have ever had to do was wear maroon to supports my Lions! Once my youngest graduates, the maroon in my house will be gone!!!

2 hours ago, Hlion said:

Didn't have what  it took this year . Been long time since 2009 huh.

Yes it has. But luckily we found things to do like polish our 6 rings. And just to think, TCU (aka.. aggie baseball killer) wasnt there to stand in yalls way this year.

What about Arp, always seems they have 3 or 4 trains come through during a game.

Or the UIL could provide funds to the poor school who can't afford horns or chose to spend money otherwise.

Maybe even have a special fund that would fund a defensive school for coaches and players that do not want to hear train horns.

Or those schools could just hire a good defensive coach in the first place. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, goparishpanthers2015 said:

The UIL sent the proposal to a Medical Advisory Committee for further study.

In other words, they are determined to do it, but want to use “safety” as the reason so they don’t look like a bunch of weenies. Too late. 

• Like 2

They ####...they are annoying...I hate them.

...but the best way to fix the problem is to not let hose train horns blow! PG figured out last year that if you don't let a team score, you only have to hear it at the start of each half..and when a team that's getting donkey stomped, scores on your third stringers....the horn just sounds sad.

3 hours ago, Nonothing said:

They ####...they are annoying...I hate them.

...but the best way to fix the problem is to not let hose train horns blow! PG figured out last year that if you don't let a team score, you only have to hear it at the start of each half..and when a team that's getting donkey stomped, scores on your third stringers....the horn just sounds sad.

I've seen instances where, IIRC, the home team won't allow certain noisemakers (shakers, air horns, train horns, things like that) at their stadiums. It wasn't the UIL doing it, it was the school itself.

19 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I've seen instances where, IIRC, the home team won't allow certain noisemakers (shakers, air horns, train horns, things like that) at their stadiums. It wasn't the UIL doing it, it was the school itself.

Shelbyville 

10 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Sometimes the train horn goes unused

14-0.

Sometimes it does. Takes a pretty good defense to make that happen. Schools that don’t have a great defense just push for rules to disallow the horns. They’re like communists. 

I remember the very first time I ever hear a train horn in a high school football game, and it was an authentic one. Not one of those pretty chrome horns everyone has now. This was the real deal, and he hung it over the fence on the Marlin Bulldogs side in 2003 at Tyler Rose Stadium when Atlanta played them for the state championship. That horn sounded off twice, once at the beginning of the game, and once to start the second half, never again. This seems to happen a lot when we play Tatum as well.