UIL to discuss Home Field on Football first round games

4 hours ago, Hlion said:

LoL I took that Democrat as a insult. Three three that offensive too me being called a Democrat or texas horn , Kilgore/Carthage fan.

I don't like you, but be careful.

Dude will abuse his power and ban you for nothing.

Trust me, I've been victimized by em and definitely never forgot what he did......

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Who cares if the stadium is nice?

They're trying to win a playoff game to advance. It's part of the experience/home field advantage you're trying to capture.

Remember ... who... you... are... trying... to... reason... with

• LOL! 1

40 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Didn't some Houston-area team "make" the playoffs at 0-10 a couple of seasons back? Because there were only 4 teams in their district?

Only because there were originally 5 teams in the district and one dropped football if I do remember correctly.

3 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Didn't some Houston-area team "make" the playoffs at 0-10 a couple of seasons back? Because there were only 4 teams in their district?

Only happened because Houston Jones closed.

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Just to state it...this already was a thing on the 6A level. It's their choice if they want to host the game (and again, this home field advantage in round 1 is not JUST for district champions).

I understand.  The point I and others are trying to make is the neutral site option will be more prevalent in the lower classifications because they still play on grass.  If weather is bad, they will be looking for neutral site turf stadiums in order to get the games in.  This is not an issue from 4A and above as most all teams are playing on turf now anyways.

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

If a top seed can't beat a fourth seed, then they don't deserve to be in there in the first place. Nothing is watered down in the playoffs. We always had blows out. We always had close games. The bad teams are gone by round 3.

I don't get why people are still complaining about this. It does nothing but give you more football in a season that's already short. Just enjoy it, especially since they aren't changing anything.

Ummm, no. Playoffs still had the same number of rounds before they let fourth seeds in. Essentially, district champs got punished by getting their first-round bye taken away just so someone could make more money.

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Who cares if the stadium is nice?

They're trying to win a playoff game to advance. It's part of the experience/home field advantage you're trying to capture.

Exactly!!!! I don't care how many of your fans come to the game, if you are the lower seed then its your fault your fans don't have room. I want to play at home and stay in my routine. My stadium should not have to satisfy anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Exactly!!!! I don't care how many of your fans come to the game, if you are the lower seed then its your fault your fans don't have room. I want to play at home and stay in my routine. My stadium should not have to satisfy anyone else.

Furthermore, there are a lot of 4 seeds that don’t travel well at all. Not just 4 seeds. We played a Area game one year at EF against a team that brought less than 50 people. FOR A SECOND ROUND PLAYOFF GAME! I remember calculating that some of their seniors may not have even had parents at their last game. I really felt bad for them. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

Ummm, no. Playoffs still had the same number of rounds before they let fourth seeds in. Essentially, district champs got punished by getting their first-round bye taken away just so someone could make more money.

Um...no they didn’t. 

There were two divisions when they added the 4th team to 5A first back in 2006, before letting things trickle down. There were 5 rounds in D1 and 6 rounds in D2. Once added, both divisions had 6 rounds and it’s been that way since.

The “bye” thing you’re talking about might have been something in the lower levels but I know for a fact that was never a thing in 5A and 4A. 

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Furthermore, there are a lot of 4 seeds that don’t travel well at all. Not just 4 seeds. We played a Area game one year at EF against a team that brought less than 50 people. FOR A SECOND ROUND PLAYOFF GAME! I remember calculating that some of their seniors may not have even had parents at their last game. I really felt bad for them. 

Sounds like a Garland ISD team or McKinney Boyd to me! There was maybe 40 people on the home side in Richardson when we played Boyd a couple years back (and remember Richardson is right down the road from McKinney).

Yup.

The year Marshall and Kilgore both advanced to state championships (2004), Marshall played the D1 title game a week before Kilgore’s D2 championship.   We were in the same district. 

And for those complaining about playoff expansion..... Marshall was the third place team that year and still made it to the title game. Kilgore won district and Jacksonville, who was second advanced 3 rounds deep. 

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

That's how it was this year when we played LaMarque in the 2nd round.... They had maybe 20 people at the game and like 6 band members.... Big drop off from LaMarque of old

9 minutes ago, Hlion said:

You are looking from a big school perspective. I seen some extremely crappy venues. Mount Enterprise use to have their football stadium blend into their baseball field and only one side to their stands .

No I am not, while I currently live in a 5a district. I grew up in 2a and 3a, I have seen and played on some really crappy fields. Palmer, Royce City, Scurry Rosser all had cow pasture for fields in the 80's and 90's complete with cow pies and everything. Still doesn't change my opinion that if you want your fans to come see you play and have room, then win your district. My visitor side should not have to satisfy anyone visitor fan. My home crowd is who I am worried about. Now if I was stadium that wanted neutral site games then of course both sides must be decent. Which is why Nac. finally re-did their turf and they have hosted at least 3 playoff games a season since they did.

Besides I am definitely not speaking from the Nac. playoff experience!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

That's how it was this year when we played LaMarque in the 2nd round.... They had maybe 20 people at the game and like 6 band members.... Big drop off from LaMarque of old

I remember Wilmer Hutchins and Tatum probably 5 years back played a 3rd or 4th round game at Rose. Hutchins had maybe 30 ppl in the stands, their band had about 12 kids in it and they spread out to take up an entire section. So the split of the revenue was definitely Tatum paying W-H since the Tatum side was packed.

34 minutes ago, Hlion said:

You are looking from a big school perspective. I seen some extremely crappy venues. Mount Enterprise use to have their football stadium blend into their baseball field and only one side to their stands .

You are missing the point.  The #1 team from a district should have the right to pick the venue... whether it’s their own crappy field that holds 100 people or if they choose AT&T...  it should be their choice PERIOD!

5 hours ago, Hlion said:

What if I told you that is what I been saying all along. The DC has the option in case their stadium isn't up to par

You’ve been saying the same thing everyone else has been arguing with you about?

9 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

No I am not, while I currently live in a 5a district. I grew up in 2a and 3a, I have seen and played on some really crappy fields. Palmer, Royce City, Scurry Rosser all had cow pasture for fields in the 80's and 90's complete with cow pies and everything. Still doesn't change my opinion that if you want your fans to come see you play and have room, then win your district. My visitor side should not have to satisfy anyone visitor fan. My home crowd is who I am worried about. Now if I was stadium that wanted neutral site games then of course both sides must be decent. Which is why Nac. finally re-did their turf and they have hosted at least 3 playoff games a season since they did.

Besides I am definitely not speaking from the Nac. playoff experience!!!

I went to Scurry-Rosser’s old field a few years back for a peewee game, the visitor’s stands were made of wood and held maybe 50 people, and were overflowing with Crandall fans. The announcer even invited people to change sides, since the home side was actually really nice and had maybe 15 people in it