End youth tackle football?

Who cares what Brett Favre thinks.  I do notice that kids don't play tackle the man with the football or whatever they started calling it 30 years ago.  I don't see many playing King of the Mountain either.  As I said, If I could do it all over again I would.  Those were some of the best times of my life, and I have great memories of the teammates and neighbors that I played the other games with, even though I've lost several to death.  They were some of the best friends you could grow up having.  When I saw this movie back when I was 17, I didn't think much about it.  As I've grown older I've grown to appreciate this scene more :  

• 4 months later...

I thought the same thing about concussions and head injuries until I became involved. The fact is there are more head injuries in flag football. There are several studies that prove this. Knees to the head or falling on the ground is usually the culprit.

With the new heads up way of playing the game it is much safer. The rugby style, or hawk tackle can be performed without pads.

I have been involved in youth football now for 7 years in a small town and I know of two concussions in our community. One was before the kids were in pads and the kid hit his head on the ground , and the other was caused by a kid that was playing in the wrong age group. He was too old, and over the allowed weight to handle the ball.

If leagues are regulated properly very few injuries happen in youth tackle ball. My guess would be there are almost as many in basketball. If anyone has watched a little dribblers basketball game most of them are like a tackle football game!

The big problem is integrity, or lack of. Most coaches can't control themselves if they have a chance to play an illegal kid and get away with it. I think felony criminal charges should be put in place for these infractions.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...