Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Apples and oranges. JT HAD to play Lindale because Lindale was in JT's district. And so was Pine Tree and Hallsville, and etc. IF not, JT wouldn't schedule them. So unless Chapel Hill moves into JT district, JT will probably never schedule them for football. 

Unless they are become very good again.

19 hours ago, thstiger1997 said:
On 2/17/2018 at 3:25 PM, Spothhb2 said:

Are they really playing LE at LE? To accommodate the fans,  I thought the two schools agreed to play at Grim? Schedule says at Harris field

I thought I saw a post from last last year that this game is always played at Grim due to the size of the crowd. Grim was packed last year.

• Mavchamp featured and unfeatured this topic

Interesting facts about the Maverick schedule

Tyler Lee-  District mates from 1960-2001, the rivalry ended when Marshall dropped a classification.  It was reborn in 2016.

Longview- will be the 108th meeting.  Longest active rivalry Marshall has.

Carthage- This will be the first regular season meeting between the two since 1980/81.  Marshall won both games 37-7 and 42-8 respectively. 

Lindale- This will be the first regular season meeting ever.  They have only met once, in 2015 when Marshall beat the Eagles 21-17 in a bi-district playoff game.

Hallsville-  Outside of Longview, this is the longest active series Marshall has, having met the Bobcats every season since 2000.  Marshall leads the series (12-5). 

Mount Pleasant-  They have been intermittent district rivals since 2002.  Marshall leads the series (8-2) since then.  

Jacksonville- This rivalry was one of the best in the region when it started in 2002.  In 10 games played between 2004 and 2013, 6 of them were decided by 8 or less points.  

Nacogdoches- Another historic rival.  Most recently, they were district rivals from 1971-2001.  They have dotted each other's schedule as district mates since 2002.  Series dates back to 1929.   

Whitehouse- Renewal of a rivalry that heated up from 2005-2012.  Mavs have lost 6 in a row to the Wildcats 2006-2013.  

Pine Tree- Our third longest running active rivalry.  Marshall is (14-2) Vs. PT since joining them in 2002.  Game is at Pine Tree Stadium, where the Mavericks are (5-0) there since it opened.  They lead PT overall (25-9).

--------

Pretty excited about the season.  Mavs have a CHANCE to win their third district title in 4 seasons.   No givens at all.  We don't have the luxury of overlooking people.   

But a tough non-district schedule with 6A semi-finalist Longview and defending 4A state champion Carthage.   6A Tyler Lee should be much improved.  

On 2/23/2018 at 3:45 PM, cujoforlife said:

Do they switch sides? If it is always played at Grim.

No. The Visitor side seems to be big enough for the LE folks plus the LE band.

T-High band and high student section is over there as well.

21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Interesting facts about the Maverick schedule

Tyler Lee-  District mates from 1960-2001, the rivalry ended when Marshall dropped a classification.  It was reborn in 2016.

Longview- will be the 108th meeting.  Longest active rivalry Marshall has.

Carthage- This will be the first regular season meeting between the two since 1980/81.  Marshall won both games 37-7 and 42-8 respectively. 

Lindale- This will be the first regular season meeting ever.  They have only met once, in 2015 when Marshall beat the Eagles 21-17 in a bi-district playoff game.

Hallsville-  Outside of Longview, this is the longest active series Marshall has, having met the Bobcats every season since 2000.  Marshall leads the series (12-5). 

Mount Pleasant-  They have been intermittent district rivals since 2002.  Marshall leads the series (8-2) since then.  

Jacksonville- This rivalry was one of the best in the region when it started in 2002.  In 10 games played between 2004 and 2013, 6 of them were decided by 8 or less points.  

Nacogdoches- Another historic rival.  Most recently, they were district rivals from 1971-2001.  They have dotted each other's schedule as district mates since 2002.  Series dates back to 1929.   

Whitehouse- Renewal of a rivalry that heated up from 2005-2012.  Mavs have lost 6 in a row to the Wildcats 2006-2013.  

Pine Tree- Our third longest running active rivalry.  Marshall is (14-2) Vs. PT since joining them in 2002.  Game is at Pine Tree Stadium, where the Mavericks are (5-0) there since it opened.  They lead PT overall (25-9).

--------

Pretty excited about the season.  Mavs have a CHANCE to win their third district title in 4 seasons.   No givens at all.  We don't have the luxury of overlooking people.   

But a tough non-district schedule with 6A semi-finalist Longview and defending 4A state champion Carthage.   6A Tyler Lee should be much improved.  

You hear that Carthage?  We dominated you :lol: 

5 hours ago, Spothhb2 said:

No. The Visitor side seems to be big enough for the LE folks plus the LE band.

T-High band and high student section is over there as well.

I know about the band for Texas High. That doesn’t seem fair for LE to always have to be the visitor. 

2018 Nac Schedule

DATE

OPPONENT

SITE

TIME

8/17/18

Chapel Hill Scrimmage

Home

7:00 PM

8/24/18

Jasper Scrimmage

There

8/31/18

Kilgore

There

7:30 PM

9/7/18

Lufkin

There

9/14/18

Tyler Lee

Home

9/21/18

Open

9/27/18

*Jacksonville

Tyler Rose Stadium

10/5/18

*Lindale (Homecoming)

Home

10/12/18

*Whitehouse

Home

10/19/18

*Pine Tree

There

10/26/18

*Marshall

Home

11/2/18

*Hallsville

There

11/9/18

*Mt. Pleasant (Senior Night)

me

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, 3rdcoastent said:

It gone be a lot of travel with not many homes games and some of these games probably won’t be that competitive but playing cedar hill first game that’s a team they could see in playoffs again I believe ??  

Cedar Hill is 6a. JT whole non-district is made up of all 6a teams.

What's the coaching situation in the district?

MP will have a new coach in Pinckard.
Mathis will be in his 2nd season at Marshall.
Drennon will be in his 2nd year at Hallsville.
Lane will be in his 3rd year at Pine Tree.
Whitehouse will have a new coach.  Has a new one been named yet?
Cochran will be in his 2nd season at Lindale.
Is Wayne Coleman still at Jacksonville?  If so.....it would be his fourth season.
Reyes will be starting his 7th season at Nac

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, Mavchamp said:

What's the coaching situation in the district?

MP will have a new coach in Pinckard.
Mathis will be in his 2nd season at Marshall.
Drennon will be in his 2nd year at Hallsville.
Lane will be in his 3rd year at Pine Tree.
Whitehouse will have a new coach.  Has a new one been named yet?
Cochran will be in his 2nd season at Lindale.
Is Wayne Coleman still at Jacksonville?  If so.....it would be his fourth season.
Reyes will be starting his 7th season at Nac

I haven't heard of any changes in Jax, the rest looks correct based on everything I have seen.

Not a lot of tenure in East Texas 5A.  Most schools in the class has had their coach for 3 years or less.  JT, SS, Jax, and Nac seem to be the only ones.

And the two with the most tenure have struggled to make the postseason.

----------

Halls/Marsh/PT haven't been in the south district since 2010 and 2011.... so there is a lack of familiarity between most of the teams from the North District and the South district.  This will be MP's first time not to be grouped in the I-30 schools.

----------

This will be the first time in my memory that this will be an all-turf district.  With Nac, SS, and the Tomato Bowl (in 2019) finally switching.... Texas High is the lone 5A/6A school in East Texas that still has a grass field. 

----------

Closest Rivals in the district
Hallsville and Marshall- 12 miles
Pine Tree and Hallsville- 13 miles

Most distant Rivals in the district:
Mount Pleasant and Nacogdoches 120 miles
#2 is MP to Jax- 94 miles

Nac has made the playoffs only 3 times since 1992(06,13 and 14)-Two of those under Reyes-Losing all 3 in the first round!!

Nac goes into the season-without a home field advantage-They have not won a home district game since beating Jacksonville on 10/16/2015.

They have only  2 home wins since they beat Kilgore to start 2016 and Hallsville last year. Those 3 wins Jax, Hallsville and Kilgore are the only 3 wins the program has since installing turf. Going 3-12 at home since 2015. Going 9-21 over all....4-6 in 2015 &2016 and 1-9 LY.

Nac has had a chance at a playoff spot going into the last game of the season 3 straight years and failed to do so.

If Nac doesn't make the playoffs/win district in the next 3 years they never will:) if we believe the hype about this group coming up!!!

Hallsville may be new to this district but I think they played the entire district in non-district matchups over the last few years. I am anxious to see MP, Marshall and PT myself. They have not been regular matchup's for Nac for some time. I have never traveled to MP or Marshall for a game.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, Nacwagons said:

Nac has made the playoffs only 3 times since 1992(06,13 and 14)-Two of those under Reyes-Losing all 3 in the first round!!

Nac goes into the season-without a home field advantage-They have not won a home district game since beating Jacksonville on 10/16/2015.

They have only  2 home wins since they beat Kilgore to start 2016 and Hallsville last year. Those 3 wins Jax, Hallsville and Kilgore are the only 3 wins the program has since installing turf. Going 3-12 at home since 2015. Going 9-21 over all....4-6 in 2015 &2016 and 1-9 LY.

Nac has had a chance at a playoff spot going into the last game of the season 3 straight years and failed to do so.

If Nac doesn't make the playoffs/win district in the next 3 years they never will:) if we believe the hype about this group coming up!!!

Hallsville may be new to this district but I think they played the entire district in non-district matchups over the last few years. I am anxious to see MP, Marshall and PT myself. They have not been regular matchup's for Nac for some time. I have never traveled to MP or Marshall for a game.

Yeah we have a curse with that turf smh. Haven’t won a playoff game since 92 niether a DC since 82. So those two streaks are left for Nac to break. I was on the 06-07 playoff team under Harper. The most memorable win to me was the Marshall  game I mean we ran the ball at will that night, Kameron Rhodes was the RB. I don’t think we’ve beaten Marshall since then. We also played MP a couple of times we won the last time we played them.