Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

I think they didn't do a good job on the winter and fall sports alignment. They should have put THigh, MP, Marshall, Hallsville, Pine Tree, Sulphur Springs in one district and put Lindale, JT, WH, Jax, Nac, Luf in the other, and  sent Royce City and Greenville to DFW or Sherman district.  For T High to have to go all the way to Greenville and Royce City when they didn't have to is crazy to me.

Greenville and Texas High have been in the same district for all sports for the last 4 years.  

And have been intermittently for almost 20 years.  

Royse City makes perfect sense.  It’s a straight drive down I-30.

I know JT is still playing..... but how would you rate each 5A schools season this year based on pre-season predictions and actual outcomes?

Who underperformed?  Over-performed? Was a pleasant surprise?  A disappointment?

Grade each Teams' season and give us a reason why you give them that grade.

A- Excellent Season
B- Good Season
C- Average Season
D- Below Average Season
F- Failure of a Season

John Tyler
Texas High
Lukfin
Marshall
Lindale
Whitehouse
Nacodoches
Pine Tree
Halllsville
Jacksonville
Mount Pleasant
Sulphur Springs

Aaaaaaaand......GO!

I will play.

A- Excellent Season
B- Good Season
C- Average Season
D- Below Average Season
F- Failure of a Season

John Tyler - A - Could become an A+
Texas High - F
Lukfin - B - Did not go as far as many predicted
Marshall - B - Should still be playing though
Lindale - C
Whitehouse - C
Nacodoches - D - Lots of Hype surrounding younger groups, didn't meet expectations even though they made the playoffs
Pine Tree - F 
Halllsville - C
Jacksonville - D - Having to play every game on the road is a tough ask
Mount Pleasant - C - New coach, new staff, non-district success
Sulphur Springs - B - The wheels fell off late

4 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

You think?

Even with an outright District Championship?

Especially with the injuries.

It was one injury. The turnovers, not having our backup in there for other reasons that could do damage with his arm to the LS secondary and coaching were the reason we lost. Anyone that watched this lufkin team this season with the talent we had on defense knew it was either fourth round (at least) or bust. I don’t care about district titles. 

1 minute ago, Pack007 said:

It was one injury. The turnovers, not having our backup in there for other reasons that could do damage with his arm to the LS secondary and coaching were the reason we lost. Anyone that watched this lufkin team this season with the talent we had on defense knew it was either fourth round (at least) or bust. I don’t care about district titles. 

I understand completely, but it's not like Lone Star is a bunch of dogs, you lost to a pretty dang good team.

8 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I understand completely, but it's not like Lone Star is a bunch of dogs, you lost to a pretty dang good team.

True, but they weren’t on our level this season imo. Not being arrogant....just giving my opinion on what i watched. I was there in Waco. Without the mistakes, i think we have a similar game like JT. All three of their scores in the first half came from our turnovers. And we fumbled at the 1. Coaching wise though, they were definitely better. 

John Tyler: A.   No matter what happens this weekend Vs. HP..... JT has had an outstanding season.  A win this week.... no matter if they go on to a state title or not gives them an A+

Texas High: F.    Apparently THS insiders saw this coming either last season or this season... and fear this is a new trend for the Tigers.  I think for most of us though.... this fall from grace was a little shocking.  There wasn't much to cheer for this year.  Will be interesting to see what 2019 will bring...... a downward trend could throw the program in to a similar situation that Marshall saw in 2011 and 2012.  I certainly wouldn't wish it on them.  Minus the little alien troll.

Lukfin: B-.  IMHO..... had Lufkin been healthy..... they would be playing this week.  Most teams, be it HS, College, or pro are crippled when they lose their QB.  Lufkin is no exception.  A bad offensive showing can put the best defense in a bind with turnovers and short fields to defend.  Hard to overcome that.  No matter how good you are.

Marshall: A-.   Like someone else posted..... I honestly feel we should be playing this week...but it is what it is.  35-34 is a bitter pill to swallow.  Bad refs and all.... we went further than most predicted.  TBH.... even if we had won last week.... I think it ends this weekend.  FB Marshall seems to be the best in Reg III.  We will know for sure tonight.  If Huntsville wins.... the shoulda coulda woulda will abound.   At the end of the day.... we won back to back district titles (3 in 4 years), have an 18 game district winning streak and advanced to the region semis for the 2nd time in 4 years.  And the top offensive season on record.  

Lindale: B+.  Eagles performed in 2018.  They advanced 2 rounds, gave the district champs all they wanted.  They play smart football.  All this in spite being one of the smallest 5A schools in the state.  Hard not to respect the Eagles AND their program.  They have a good thing going over there even though they have the cards stacked against them.

Whitehouse: C.  Some of the Wildcat's district losses were confounding.  Was expecting a district title clash.... none of that really materialized for them.  Then they were non-competitive in their playoff game.

Nacodoches: C-,  Nac had expectations this season.... but their home record was horrendous.... and their defense had struggles all season.  They easily could have and SHOULD have won 2-3 more games than they did.  Had they happened.... i think they would have been a B+.   But those close losses set them on a path of near impossibility in the playoffs.  Nac easily could have been the #2 in the district...... 

Pine Tree- D.  Most disappointing team on the list IMHO.  Even more so than Texas High.

Halllsville D.  Something is amiss in Hallsville.  There is no reason for the Bobcats to be as non-competitive year after year as they are.  I have my theories.  I won't share them here..... but something is amiss.

Jacksonville-  C.  Jacksonville did about as well as I expected TBH.  

Mount Pleasant- D.  MP has a numbers problem.  Which is mind boggling considering their enrollment.   They have a serious lack of participation.  I honestly think that's their biggest problem.  They have athletes.  Just not enough of them.

Sulphur Springs- C.  Seems like things kinda fell apart for the Wildcats at the end of the season.  But it was good to see them winning again.  Like Lindale..... they do it with much smaller numbers than most of their district mates.

Nac. should have won maybe 1 more game than it did. The Whitehouse game is what really sticks out, especially with the double digit lead late. Nac. COULD have been 2nd in the district but I am not sure you could have realistically expected it with a team full of sophomores and juniors. I was hopeful to start the season for them to go on a run, but they had to rally late to make the playoffs. 

I would give them a C+ to a B- considering this team won 1 game in 2017. A 4 win improvement with a young team isn't too bad. We broke our home losing streak and made the playoffs but we continue having to play district champions every time we make it. 

for 2019 My expectations are 7-3 and no less than 2nd in district with a closer game against Marshall. With a more favorable playoff match up, looking for our first playoff win since 1992.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:12 PM, Mavchamp said:

Greenville and Texas High have been in the same district for all sports for the last 4 years.  

And have been intermittently for almost 20 years.  

Royse City makes perfect sense.  It’s a straight drive down I-30.

just because they have been in the district before doesn't mean it makes sense. Longview/Hallsville/Marshall are like 1 to 1.5 hrs from Texarkana.  Greenville and Royce City are two plus hours. But we just have to agree to disagree.

I guess I’m more interested in the path than the distance. 

The distance from Marshall to Tyler is almost identical as it is to Nacogdoches.  

But a straight shot on I-20 is 1000x better than getting to a Nac having to drive through Henderson (or Carthage) and Mt Enterprise and all those other small communities. 

Same with Texarkana.  A straight shot to RC seems a lot easier than driving through Atlanta, Jefferson, and others to get to Marshall, Hallsville, or PT. 

5 hours ago, Pack007 said:

True, but they weren’t on our level this season imo. Not being arrogant....just giving my opinion on what i watched. I was there in Waco. Without the mistakes, i think we have a similar game like JT. All three of their scores in the first half came from our turnovers. And we fumbled at the 1. Coaching wise though, they were definitely better. 

I'm shock yall lost to them. I was not impressed by them. Lancaster IMO would have beat Lone Star.

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I guess I’m more interested in the path than the distance. 

The distance from Marshall to Tyler is almost identical as it is to Nacogdoches.  

But a straight shot on I-20 is 1000x better than getting to a Nac having to drive through Henderson (or Carthage) and Mt Enterprise and all those other small communities. 

Same with Texarkana.  A straight shot to RC seems a lot easier than driving through Atlanta, Jefferson, and others to get to Marshall, Hallsville, or PT. 

true, but even with going through Atlanta and Jefferson, you still get to Texarkana faster than Greenville and Royce City get to Texarkana.. But I understand what you are saying. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

I'm shock yall lost to them. I was not impressed by them. Lancaster IMO would have beat Lone Star.

Everything that could go wrong....went wrong. I put it on the staff and kids. Similar to Round Rock in 06. I don’t understand it. Then having kewone injured and a capable backup not being able to play made things worse imo. I’ll say this, Their defense wasn’t bad. So it’s not like they weren’t a good team. Just we had our worse game of the season at the wrong time with a combination of other things that went wrong that day. Don’t care what anyone says though....Lone star shouldn’t have won that game. We choked. Main reason i gave us a C. 

17 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

District play started for the ladies tonight. 

Marshall beat Nac 42-40

#0 for Marshall was a pretty good little player, definitely the  best player on the court most of the night. I didn't see the score book but she had to have had a double double, points and steals.

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 1
Marshall beat Nac 42-40 (OT)
Whitehouse beat Pine Tree 44-35
Lufkin beat Hallsville (score?)
John Tyler Vs. Jax

STANDINGS
Marshall (1-0)
Whitehouse (1-0)
Lufkin (1-0)
John Tyler (0-0)
Jacksonville (0-0)
Nacogdoches (0-1)
Pine Tree (0-1)
Hallsville (0-1)

The ladies won 59-25 over Hallsville. 

16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 1
Marshall beat Nac 42-40 (OT)
Whitehouse beat Pine Tree 44-35
Lufkin beat Hallsville 59-25
Jax beat John Tyler 45-35

STANDINGS
Marshall (1-0)
Whitehouse (1-0)
Lufkin (1-0)
Jacksonville (1-0)
John Tyler (0-1)
Nacogdoches (0-1)
Pine Tree (0-1)
Hallsville (0-1)

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Mavchamp said:

John Tyler: A.   No matter what happens this weekend Vs. HP..... JT has had an outstanding season.  A win this week.... no matter if they go on to a state title or not gives them an A+

Texas High: F.    Apparently THS insiders saw this coming either last season or this season... and fear this is a new trend for the Tigers.  I think for most of us though.... this fall from grace was a little shocking.  There wasn't much to cheer for this year.  Will be interesting to see what 2019 will bring...... a downward trend could throw the program in to a similar situation that Marshall saw in 2011 and 2012.  I certainly wouldn't wish it on them.  Minus the little alien troll.

Lukfin: B-.  IMHO..... had Lufkin been healthy..... they would be playing this week.  Most teams, be it HS, College, or pro are crippled when they lose their QB.  Lufkin is no exception.  A bad offensive showing can put the best defense in a bind with turnovers and short fields to defend.  Hard to overcome that.  No matter how good you are.

Marshall: A-.   Like someone else posted..... I honestly feel we should be playing this week...but it is what it is.  35-34 is a bitter pill to swallow.  Bad refs and all.... we went further than most predicted.  TBH.... even if we had won last week.... I think it ends this weekend.  FB Marshall seems to be the best in Reg III.  We will know for sure tonight.  If Huntsville wins.... the shoulda coulda woulda will abound.   At the end of the day.... we won back to back district titles (3 in 4 years), have an 18 game district winning streak and advanced to the region semis for the 2nd time in 4 years.  And the top offensive season on record.  

Lindale: B+.  Eagles performed in 2018.  They advanced 2 rounds, gave the district champs all they wanted.  They play smart football.  All this in spite being one of the smallest 5A schools in the state.  Hard not to respect the Eagles AND their program.  They have a good thing going over there even though they have the cards stacked against them.

Whitehouse: C.  Some of the Wildcat's district losses were confounding.  Was expecting a district title clash.... none of that really materialized for them.  Then they were non-competitive in their playoff game.

Nacodoches: C-,  Nac had expectations this season.... but their home record was horrendous.... and their defense had struggles all season.  They easily could have and SHOULD have won 2-3 more games than they did.  Had they happened.... i think they would have been a B+.   But those close losses set them on a path of near impossibility in the playoffs.  Nac easily could have been the #2 in the district...... 

Pine Tree- D.  Most disappointing team on the list IMHO.  Even more so than Texas High.

Halllsville D.  Something is amiss in Hallsville.  There is no reason for the Bobcats to be as non-competitive year after year as they are.  I have my theories.  I won't share them here..... but something is amiss.

Jacksonville-  C.  Jacksonville did about as well as I expected TBH.  

Mount Pleasant- D.  MP has a numbers problem.  Which is mind boggling considering their enrollment.   They have a serious lack of participation.  I honestly think that's their biggest problem.  They have athletes.  Just not enough of them.

Sulphur Springs- C.  Seems like things kinda fell apart for the Wildcats at the end of the season.  But it was good to see them winning again.  Like Lindale..... they do it with much smaller numbers than most of their district mates.

Hey, I have not gone anywhere.  Just be glad that you don't have to play Texas High.  They would have won your district and would have been playing in the playoffs in Division 2.  No brag, just fact...

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Hey, I have not gone anywhere.  Just be glad that you don't have to play Texas High.  They would have won your district and would have been playing in the playoffs in Division 2.  No brag, just fact...

Yeah, I don't think you finish top 4 and you don't make the playoffs. You got smashed at home by a very mediocre Kilgore team that half our district routed this year. Maybe this is true in past years but definitely not this year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Yeah, I don't think you finish top 4 and you don't make the playoffs. You got smashed at home by a very mediocre Kilgore team that half our district routed this year. Maybe this is true in past years but definitely not this year. 

What’s Nac got returning next year?   How did the JV do?   Heard yalls coach is retiring.  Leaving on a high note? (5-5)