Slot-t

jimmyjohnson

Many branches and franchises exist today ... too many to mention ... but according to my research, these are the main distributors and contributors ... 

quite an winning percentage ....

versions.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DOB said:

Many branches and franchises exist today ... too many to mention ... but according to my research, these are the main distributors and contributors ... 

versions.jpg

DOB don't ever leave us. I love your in depth breakdown of the game. It is super interesting to read. 

12 hours ago, Aggie98 said:

Athens runs some version of the tee.

Correct. Athen's has been known to run slot-t, as well as Colmsneil, Ennis, I think Whitehouse has run it a little, Hughes Springs. Didn't Shelbyville run a little slot-t? 

47 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Correct. Athen's has been known to run slot-t, as well as Colmsneil, Ennis, I think Whitehouse has run it a little, Hughes Springs. Didn't Shelbyville run a little slot-t? 

Not Ennis ( at least the last 24 years. ) Harrell ran the Spread and Alvarez ran the Pro Set.  Harrell is back and the Spread will be too

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DOB said:

versions.jpg

Good stuff DOB!! I need to make a poster of this and hang in my office.  

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Shelbyville ran it under Ferguson, and ran it very effectively. They tried running it some last year, but mixed it with a spread package and ended up with no identity on offense. It looked like they weren’t able to spend enough practice time on either one to be really good on either. The result was 2-8. The Slot-T isn’t something you can run as “part” of a system. You have to be committed to it to be successful. Joaquin has gotten better at it each year since switching to it in ‘15. I except ‘18 to be really fun to watch. 

59 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Shelbyville ran it under Ferguson, and ran it very effectively. They tried running it some last year, but mixed it with a spread package and ended up with no identity on offense. It looked like they weren’t able to spend enough practice time on either one to be really good on either. The result was 2-8. The Slot-T isn’t something you can run as “part” of a system. You have to be committed to it to be successful. Joaquin has gotten better at it each year since switching to it in ‘15. I except ‘18 to be really fun to watch. 

I agree. All or nothing. You have to get teams biting on the motions in order for it to be successful. A good slot-t takes a lot of discipline to stop. Gotta keep your assignments and execute. 

7 hours ago, jimmyjohnson said:

Good stuff DOB!! I need to make a poster of this and hang in my office.  

My connection was Bruce Bush when he was at Livingston in the late-Seventies.

Later, I never ran it in its pure form - but the Multiple-I I designed in the early 1980's that I used for years was 90% patterned after it.

I've spent time visiting with most of the guys listed on the chart except Jerry Vance.

He just retired ... I always wanted to pick his brain because he was the only coach I know of who worked for both Bush (Ethridge version) and L.G. Henderson ... my understanding was they were slightly different although both shared ideas stemming from Chesty Walker.

Incidentally, Walker finished his coaching career out on the staff at the University of Washington.  Phillips HS in western Texas, where Walker coached all those many years successfully beginning in the late '30s, eventually dried up when the oil field did too.

Quite a trophy case for those mentioned on the chart"

Walker won the State Championship at Phillips HS in 1954

L.G. Henderson won five titles in New Mexico (1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969) before returning to Texas with Alice HS

Vance won state titles in 2006 and 2007

Ethridge was the New Mexico state title in 1970 and the Texas title with PNG in 1975

Sherwood got as far as the state finals with Spearman in 1974 and Bush got as far as the semi's with Gregory-Portland in 1992

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Excellent point: key word COMMITTED .... and everybody I've visited with or watched over the years ALSO said you better play good defense ... cause you don't want to get too far behind ... its not that kind of offense.

14 minutes ago, DOB said:

Excellent point: key word COMMITTED .... and everybody I've visited with or watched over the years ALSO said you better play good defense ... cause you don't want to get too far behind ... its not that kind of offense.

Correct. I’ve never met a head coach who ran the slot-t (or at least one that ran it well) that wasn’t a defense minded guy. Most, if not all, of the programs that are committed to it play their best athletes on defense first. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that those guys are putting defense first. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Correct. I’ve never met a head coach who ran the slot-t (or at least one that ran it well) that wasn’t a defense minded guy. Most, if not all, of the programs that are committed to it play their best athletes on defense first. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that those guys are putting defense first. 

They all pretty said the same thing in some form or another:

Drive the ball, burn the clock, and never give the ball up on your side of the field and put your defense in a bad way.

5 minutes ago, DOB said:

They all pretty said the same thing in some form or another:

Drive the ball, burn the clock, and never give the ball up on your side of the field and put your defense in a bad way.

Reminds of the veer. Goodness knows, I've seen enough of the veer over the past few years. Although, we did win state running the veer. You can do wonders when you have a bruiser back there. 

6 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I agree. All or nothing. You have to get teams biting on the motions in order for it to be successful. A good slot-t takes a lot of discipline to stop. Gotta keep your assignments and execute. 

It's interesting to watch the versions morph into a different looks.

One thing I noticed in the Golden Triangle and Northeast Texas versions is that the set backs are getting closer and closer to the LOS.

The thing that is missing from the pre-1980's version is the disappearance of the "I" in their scheme ... and someone finally figured out they could run "8-Hole Reverse" out of something other than the "O-Set" ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DOB said:

It's interesting to watch the versions morph into a different looks.

One thing I noticed in the Golden Triangle and Northeast Texas versions is that the set backs are getting closer and closer to the LOS.

The thing that is missing from the post-1980's version is the disappearance of the "I" in their scheme ... and someone finally figured out they could run "8-Hole Reverse" out of something other than the "O-Set" ....

I love watching schemes like this though. The 8-hole reverse is so cool to watch develop. I've always enjoyed watching any of these style offenses though, that use so much misdirection and movement to develop a play. I mean, once the runner has the ball, he's got a nice chunk of blockers ahead of him as long as they they can block, if only for a moment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Reminds of the veer. Goodness knows, I've seen enough of the veer over the past few years. 

Never say "veer" to an old coach ... one day, when all the old guys are gone who figured out how to defense it, it's gonna come back in vogue ... and a new set of DC's will have to run to the chalkboards (sorry, haven't seen a piece of chalk or a chalkboard in years) to figure it out themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DOB said:

Never say "veer" to an old coach ... one day, when all the old guys are gone who figured out how to defense it are dead and gone, it's gonna come back in vogue ... and a new set of DC's will have to run to the chalkboards (sorry, haven't seen a piece of chalk or a chalkboard in years) to figure it out themselves.

Haha I only know what I've seen from Atlanta, and I was 12 when I saw them running the veer in the state championship game, but I can remember it plain as day. I wish I could get you a copy of the film, just to watch it. I'm sure you'd get a kick out of it, as I do.