Slot-t

jimmyjohnson

IMO They are pretty much like first cousins. There are a few minor details that distinguish the two though. Base Formation, Line Stance, Splits, Play Calling, Pace, Formation usage, ect...if you see a good Slot-T team you will know it. You’ll be looking for the ball all night, you’ll see more defenders cut in one game than you have all year, and when they snap the ball it’ll look like a bomb went off and bodies are everywhere. I suggest looking at film from Liberty Hill the two years they won it. It’s Impressive. 

There were very few plays we had, that did not include the tail back going in motion across formation.

The slot-t is all about the dive, which sets up the traps, which sets up the qb keeps, which sets up 8 hole. 

Thing of beauty.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoBigBlue said:

When Pewitt ran the slot T there was a lot of motion.

Brian Huckabay bout as good a slot T guy you’d ever find...one of the greatest coaches I ever had the pleasure of working with...man can coach!

On 7/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, Monte1076 said:

Ok...but that doesn't explain the differences...

Philosophy is very, very different ... structure may be similar, but how they use that structure is way different.

Although both are series oriented, the series are different (unlike most offenses now, which are more of a collection of plays than an offensive system)

Today's Slot is mostly 200 and 300 series .... Wing is mostly Cross, Belly, Sweep (though fewer are running it), and Weakside Lead.

The Wing is in a transitional state and what used to be called the Wing-T is being morphed into more varied sets and less of a "T" look in backfield ...

Ultimately, there are actually more differences than similarities ....

58 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

Still got my slot t play book.. thing of beauty.. loved when o had the guys to do it. Takes a hard nose bunch !

Someone somewhere is putting a hit out on you as we speak.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 9:38 AM, jimmyjohnson said:

When in doubt, run 8 HR!!

If you really study it, the best way to defend the offense is by keying the HB, especially when they are limiting themselves to just the 200 and 300.

The reason the 8HR is so damaging, is that it's the main thing that breaks that pattern.  Until you take the field against, it's hard to imagine how quick it takes place.

I made a living running a 228 variation in the old days, but people have gotten away from it for the reason mentioned previously .... our success came when we started running it by arc blocking the HB aligned in a Nasty Slot ... not able to key like A-Set with high motion ... We also used him to come under on iso on 324 (Lead) ... assisted when 326 look was overcompensated for ... people really don't know a good way to play the Nasty.

14 hours ago, DOB said:

Philosophy is very, very different ... structure may be similar, but how they use that structure is way different.

Although both are series oriented, the series are different (unlike most offenses now, which are more of a collection of plays than an offensive system)

Today's Slot is mostly 200 and 300 series .... Wing is mostly Cross, Belly, Sweep (though fewer are running it), and Weakside Lead.

The Wing is in a transitional state and what used to be called the Wing-T is being morphed into more varied sets and less of a "T" look in backfield ...

Ultimately, there are actually more differences than similarities ....

I played in a Wing T system for 2 seasons. The way our system worked was the players were "numbered" (i.e. the tailback was 1, QB was 2, FB was 3, and I think the Wingback was 4), and the holes were numbered, but the numbers were flipped based upon the set you were in.

So in the following:

Left_31_Trap.jpg

In the system I played in, this play would be referred to as "Left 30 Trap" (or something similar).

Our pass plays were usually in the 200's, usually.

I did see a video on the Slot T on YouTube. Of course, it was one of those that only shows the long plays, but it looks like it's a misdirection offense. Almost reminds me of a Double Wing.

21 hours ago, DOB said:

Someone somewhere is putting a hit out on you as we speak.

I'm not giving it away. Trust me too valuable. I made it myself after talking to several others already listed on this page.

• Like 2

Because you asked .... attached are from my "book" notes long ago.

Having run both the Slot and West Texas Wing-T as an OC and defended both as a DC ... these are my thoughts and perceptions.

It doesn't make it all right ... it just makes it mine.

However, it does not cover one big detail ... Both, if you stop what their core, will go into their "End-Over" and "Unbalanced" mode - which can present major issues for a defense - especially one that was designed specifically for that week.  They WILL generally run the same plays ... but your defenders will be looking at keys from a different angle and perspective

1.jpg

If that's really more than you wanted to know ... I apologize for taking up the space.

The key to defending them: Be varied enough so they DON'T know where you will show up next.

People called it a simple offense. I always thought WTC! Our oline had to be smart. Center would make a call going back to the defense, all the others would yell a placement call. From that the qb would call the play and backs would know which hole to hit. 

Like I said, the slot-t was a thing of beauty. 11 guys working in unison on the fly.

200 check was a killer.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:23 PM, OPC said:

People called it a simple offense. I always thought WTC! Our oline had to be smart. Center would make a call going back to the defense, all the others would yell a placement call. From that the qb would call the play and backs would know which hole to hit. 

Like I said, the slot-t was a thing of beauty. 11 guys working in unison on the fly.

200 check was a killer.

The beauty is people have to tackle to get a stop.   Not have 3 incomplete passes and no hitting occurring and punt team comes out.  

On 7/14/2018 at 9:23 PM, OPC said:

200 check was a killer.

Do PG play in sort of a slot-t or wing -t

On 7/19/2018 at 10:23 PM, trueblue82 said:

PG is a version of the Wing-T. 

Excellent way to put it ... a purist they are not.

In the state championship game, they only ran one play sequence out of the true Wing-T and that was the quick trap.

The rest of the night they were more or less in a fly sweep one-back look (including unbalanced/end-over) ... 

of course they were dealing with WOS' super defense ...

but who in the world would second-guess a well-designed game plan that resulted in success.

Not I ... not ever