Week 1: Gilmer Buckeyes @ Atlanta Rabbits - 8/31

H3llR4z0r

Gilmer Buckeyes @ Atlanta Rabbits  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start the season undefeated?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2018 at 12:30 AM

23 minutes ago, BlackFlag93 said:

Gilmer by 4 TD's the offense is very high powered, and defense has a new attitude.  

I just don't think this will be the case.  I think the first game is the toughest to try and predict simply because there are so many uncertains. In this game, two questions really stick out to me. 1. Gilmer's QB. I think this brings a different look to the offense. I don't look for him to run very much, which could be a problem trying to avoid sacks, etc. Gilmer does have that big OL this year, so I look for them to run the ball behind them a bit more, especially in this game, just to try and get the new QB more comfortable. 

2. Both team's defenses. With how bad Gilmer's defense played last year, especially the secondary, I think they are very much improved this year. They DO have two D1 prospects at CB & Safety. Atlanta will do what Atlanta does best, and that's run the ball. If Gilmer's defense can slow down that run game (I don't think they will stop it entirely), that will put more pressure on the ATL D, by then, Gilmer will have opened the passing game a bit more against that young ATL secondary. I think it will be close until the 4th, and Gilmer will pull it out at the end. Also, can't forget about a  few trick plays and at least one onside kick from the Buckeyes. Always expect it, it's going to happen.

29 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Lol 

At least mine was on purpose lol. That one guy always had his signature that said "15 years without a single Gilmer athlete failing out and not being able to play". What did y'all do? Take English class out of Gilmer or were y'all getting "extra credit" work to make up the difference?

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

At least mine was on purpose lol. That one guy always had his signature that said "15 years without a single Gilmer athlete failing out and not being able to play". What did y'all do? Take English class out of Gilmer or were y'all getting "extra credit" work to make up the difference?

Hahahahaha says the guy that couldn’t pass to play in school and Incase u didn’t see but gilmer was one of few schools with a B rating what was Tatum 

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Hahahahaha says the guy that couldn’t pass to play in school and Incase u didn’t see but gilmer was one of few schools with a B rating what was Tatum 

Not sure, got a lone star cup to our credit, though, so I am quite sure we fit the bill academically but I'm betting we "want" get to the bottom of this little debate any time soon. 

23 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

By "playing up" do you mean being excited and hyped, or do you mean because Atlanta is 3A it's hard in the heat to get up for a 4A school?

It can't be the later because the Rabbits have a 4A mindset, having been in 4A many years, and it can't be about getting hyped, because it is Gilmer. Everyone gets hyped about playing the Buckeyes, especially if they have a long standing rivalry with them.

Heat might definitely be an issue, but it will be an issue for both teams.

Neither.  By playing up and mean up in classification.  Not because of the hype, but because of the numbers.

I've seen Gilmer beat smaller schools more talented than them because of the simple math.  Gilmer interchanges 13-16 kids on offense, and 13-18 kids on defense.  Almost nobody goes both ways (WRs and CBs will play on both sides of the ball, but with a lot of breaks and rest time).  Meanwhile, smaller schools are playing 4-7 kids both ways, and don't have the depth in numbers to interchange players.  Yes, heat will be an issue for both teams, but it will be a bigger issue for the team that has to play more players both ways and has less depth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Neither.  By playing up and mean up in classification.  Not because of the hype, but because of the numbers.

I've seen Gilmer beat smaller schools more talented than them because of the simple math.  Gilmer interchanges 13-16 kids on offense, and 13-18 kids on defense.  Almost nobody goes both ways (WRs and CBs will play on both sides of the ball, but with a lot of breaks and rest time).  Meanwhile, smaller schools are playing 4-7 kids both ways, and don't have the depth in numbers to interchange players.  Yes, heat will be an issue for both teams, but it will be a bigger issue for the team that has to play more players both ways and has less depth.

I would agree with you about the numbers, but I would have to know exactly how different the numbers are this year compared to last year. Seems to me the number difference was pretty significant even last year. In my opinion, I just don't see that being a consideration this year. Maybe in future years if Atlanta continues to lose students and Gilmer continues to gain students. That being said, Atlanta has had issues with getting tired in the 2nd half of games, so you make a great point, not necessarily because of the classification numbers, but because of the Rabbits' past showings.

Personally, I just believe if the Rabbits are going to beat Gilmer, it will be this year. I think there are more positives that outweigh the negatives,  that give Atlanta a chance to get that victory. 

I have no dog in the fight, so personally, except for the fact we play Atlanta, I don't care who wins one way or another. Should however be an interesting game.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

I would agree with you about the numbers, but I would have to know exactly how different the numbers are this year compared to last year. Seems to me the number difference was pretty significant even last year. In my opinion, I just don't see that being a consideration this year. Maybe in future years if Atlanta continues to lose students and Gilmer continues to gain students. That being said, Atlanta has had issues with getting tired in the 2nd half of games, so you make a great point, not necessarily because of the classification numbers, but because of the Rabbits' past showings.

Personally, I just believe if the Rabbits are going to beat Gilmer, it will be this year. I think there are more positives that outweigh the negatives,  that give Atlanta a chance to get that victory. 

I have no dog in the fight, so personally, except for the fact we play Atlanta, I don't care who wins one way or another. Should however be an interesting game.

Well said, and extremely accurate, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, playactionpass39 said:

Atlanta = Experienced and talented offense

Gilmer = Experienced and talented defense

Atlanta = Inexperienced defense

Gilmer = Inexperienced offense

All this tells me this game is a toss up. May come down to special teams and kicking. Who has the better kicker?

Gilmer has a better kicker. FOR SURE. 

On 8/28/2018 at 10:25 AM, BlackFlag93 said:

Gilmer by 4 TD's the offense is very high powered, and defense has a new attitude.  

You're telling me this very high powered offense, without Poppy at the helm or Red Jones at wideout, is going to be better than last years offense? 

4 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

You're telling me this very high powered offense, without Poppy at the helm or Red Jones at wideout, is going to be better than last years offense? 

No way! Gilmer will not be as good on offense this year! Should be more running this year than last year. Atlantas QB is like grease lightning,, at least he looks quick!