District 10-2A (D1) Region 3 - 2018

StingEmALTO

3 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Saw Alto's roster, looks a lot like it did back in the Gamble years with nothing but Jrs. and Srs.  Only 2 Sophs.  Not sure if this is by design or if this is just how it fell for this particular year.  30 on Varsity roster total.

I think having that many upper classmen is what will tip the scales in our favor during district play and on into the playoffs. Several of those juniors started as sophomores last season, and although we only played 11 games, ANY starting time as an under classman is beneficial. Factor that in with those moving up from a strong JV and  this could definitely be a great year. Same goes for those two sophomores. The High kid made lots of noise as a freshman (and he missed the first part of the season with an injury!). In fact, he got the newcomer award in district, so I really look for him to have a break-out season as a sophomore.

All this is contingent upon staying healthy, of course. Hope we can stay away from the injury bug. 

7 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Looks like one of our backs had a growth spurt this summer, up to about 6'1 and 220and didn't loose speed or agility.. That could present some interesting possibilities what with him and the absolutely fastest guy Carlisle has ever fielded back there with him at the same time. Seems we may bring a little more to the table than usual, and that may be useful later in the season.. Kid also plays linebacker and size does matter at that position against certain run oriented teams.. Js 

That and a pretty decent pass game will be a deciding factor in some games, also seems as if we've bolstered our lines somewhat. If these kids gell, we'll be a pretty decent contender for dist and region... As always I believe that as your linemen go, so does your team.. Jmho. Hero or zero... 

That Alto-Carlisle game is going to be exciting! So much on the line, and we will have played Big Sandy the week before so we’ll get a good picture of the district early on. We come to your place again making it two years in a row. Not sure how that happened, but worked out ok last year. Lol

Sounds like y’all will be ready to go!

Carlisle is the lone name in the statewide AP preseason poll. It will be interesting to see how this changes from week to week.

Class 2A

School/Total Point

1. Refugio (14) 215

2. Mart (8) 209

3. Mason 156

4. Shiner 149

5. Wellington (1) 144

6. Muenster (1) 138

7. Burton 65

8. De Leon 56

9. Albany 46

10. Tenaha 35

Others receiving votes: San Augustine 24. Bosqueville 20. Valley View 16. Stratford 13. Crawford 11. New Deal 9. Hearne 4. Falls City 3. Bremond 3. Lovelady 2. Price Carlisle 1. Sundown 1.

2 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Carlisle is the lone name in the statewide AP preseason poll. It will be interesting to see how this changes from week to week.

Class 2A

School/Total Point

1. Refugio (14) 215

2. Mart (8) 209

3. Mason 156

4. Shiner 149

5. Wellington (1) 144

6. Muenster (1) 138

7. Burton 65

8. De Leon 56

9. Albany 46

10. Tenaha 35

Others receiving votes: San Augustine 24. Bosqueville 20. Valley View 16. Stratford 13. Crawford 11. New Deal 9. Hearne 4. Falls City 3. Bremond 3. Lovelady 2. Price Carlisle 1. Sundown 1.

I don't like that the Carlisle team got a vote. I would much rather they fly under the radar.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:38 PM, upullinmychain said:

Those top 4 are always gonna be there, they are the standard bearers and rightfully so, everybody else is usually picked from how they finished the year before... Tenaha if they hadn't lost their coach, would probably have been in the top 7. But that's jmho. Is what it is 

Hoping Region 3 makes some noise!....and knocks some of those “standard bearers” down a notch! Lol

I agree with you about Tenaha.

Carlisle won't be lacking speed this year. That's a plus. 2 kids I know for sure are running in the 4.4 range speed. Line will be on the small side comparitive to their competitors. Should be a fun team to watch. Their second game against Troup they will be outweighed on the line a good 60 to 70 pounds on average.

3 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

At least this year we will get to see how it all plays out since everyone listed in the ETSN Top 10 (except Grapeland!) is Division 1. That makes it exciting!

FYI, I think they low balled my brothers from Alto. They are gonna make some noise this year.

18 minutes ago, RipperRipper said:

FYI, I think they low balled my brothers from Alto. They are gonna make some noise this year.

I agree, but that’s ok. When you go 4-7 one year (first losing season since 1987), no one outside of hometown folks expect too much the next. They may also wonder how/if we will bounce back. So, I guess to get a mention at all is pretty good. We were the only team in Dave Campbell’s book in 2A listed in the top 20 with a losing record. We have a lot to prove! Fortunately I think we’ll do just that!

Always hold a special place for Carlisle. Your school and team were hand and hand with us back during the unbelievably hard time of losing our Cam. I will always remember how your folks supported us. 

15 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

I agree, but that’s ok. When you go 4-7 one year (first losing season since 1987), no one outside of hometown folks expect too much the next. They may also wonder how/if we will bounce back. So, I guess to get a mention at all is pretty good. We were the only team in Dave Campbell’s book in 2A listed in the top 20 with a losing record. We have a lot to prove! Fortunately I think we’ll do just that!

Always hold a special place for Carlisle. Your school and team were hand and hand with us back during the unbelievably hard time of losing our Cam. I will always remember how your folks supported us. 

I was there that night, was holding my babygirl to me when nobody knew what was happening... My heart still hurts and I prayed on both knees that night. Chain... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RipperRipper said:

Carlisle won't be lacking speed this year. That's a plus. 2 kids I know for sure are running in the 4.4 range speed. Line will be on the small side comparitive to their competitors. Should be a fun team to watch. Their second game against Troup they will be outweighed on the line a good 60 to 70 pounds on average.

Troup gonna pound that rock with them two good backs and them big uns up front... Be interesting to see how we try and slow that parade down... Lol 

7 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

I was there that night, was holding my babygirl to me when nobody knew what was happening... My heart still hurts and I prayed on both knees that night. Chain... 

Yes sir. We were there, too. Fell to my knees at the stadium and prayed harder than I believe I ever have. There’s just no way of really understanding it this side of Heaven. I know their story reached thousands and thousands of people and there are donor recipients who are able to live today because of that night. Continued prayers for the Mathews family.

SO, in my mind, Alto and Carlisle will always have a special connection. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

We scrimmaged Mt E tonight, was surprised at overall speed for Carlisle. We got Westwood next week.. 

Chain, how did they look besides speed? I’m sure ya’ll will be in top form once week 0 gets here.

How were the numbers for Mount being that they barely had enough to field a team last year? I know they have a couple of kids that looked good last year and should have been coming back this year. 

Just now, HulaKat said:

Chain, how did they look besides speed? I’m sure ya’ll will be in top form once week 0 gets here.

How were the numbers for Mount being that they barely had enough to field a team last year? I know they have a couple of kids that looked good last year and should have been coming back this year. 

Mt E has about twenty players as best I can count and a couple of good athletes, their line is pretty good size. As for us... This may very well be the best team we've fielded in 4-5 years and the turner Brothers are gonna be a headache for teams later in the season. But as always health will be the stalking tiger in small school ball.. Jmho. 

Alto went the way you would expect it to go against a team who finished 1-9 last season in Overton. No disrespect to Overton and I hope a couple of their young men are ok this morning. Alto scored so many times that I couldn’t keep up. Air / Ground we did what we wanted to do when we wanted to do it. They didn’t have a JV, so our JV got some work against some of their blended 1’s and 2’s and they pretty much scored at will too. Overton declined to go a live qtr, so it was a 15, 15, 12 on offense and defense scrimmage. All in all, it was great to see the physicality on defense, and my hat is OFF to the new DC. He’s got the defense playing fast and as physical as any I’ve ever seen come through here and has them believing there’s never been a better one here. We are blessed to have him. Again, it was Overton though, so I’ve still gotta see more. As far as offense, I’m not sure there’s a better 1,2,3 punch when it comes to RB potential in 2A. Yes, 3 RB (one who would’ve been on varsity last year, however, at the request of his father, was left on the JV because he wanted him to mature another year and the young man isn’t very far from Thacker’s size) has a twin who we’ve converted to a lineman so that should give you an idea of how stout they are. Biggest upside on Offense as far as I’m concerned is two things. 1st we are in the best shape physically that I’ve seen in a long time (I sat next to a teacher yesterday who said she couldn’t believe how some of our boys looked in the hallway and that they had “no necks anymore” ) lol. They’ve worked their tails off and it shows. 2nd, the speed is definitely being utilized and the ball is subject to go anywhere at any time and being put in the hands of kids who can flat out fly. Teams are literally going to have to defend the entire field and better be able to run. It’s going to be a fun season to watch our Jackets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Westwood next week in full scrimmage, then Troup, Sabine, then New Boston.. Clay tightening up these boys early this year... If we come out of this early stretch without injuries, we will be tested for dist. Watching Gerald turner at qb last night, I kept having flashbacks to having seen someone like this before, took me til this morning to put it together.. Kid reminds me of Malcom Kennedy, the way he strings runs out and makes ripping cuts back into gaps, explosiveness on the edge and upfield,and breakaway speed. 

8/17/18 Scrimmage: Overton @ Alto

Alto 5 - Overton 0

I don’t believe Overton got a first down.  They don’t have a JV but the coaches let our JV go in for a couple of series (I think?!) and we scored (that’s not counted in the 5 TDs above).  Our offense was diverse and defense stifling. Overall, I think everyone was pleased based on the energy (our guys were PUMPED!) & effort on the field!

Good luck to Overton this season! They had great effort, too, seemed conditioned, and I think they will definitely improve upon last season.

Next up: Alto @ Crockett - THURSDAY with JV beginning at 6:00 p.m.