District 10-2A (D1) Region 3 - 2018

StingEmALTO

1 hour ago, Star4life said:

Been looking at this.  Playoffs are such a joke now days, so watered down. Need to go back to the good ole days where only 1or the most 2 gets in.  In my opinion, only team that is deserving out of this district is Carlisle. The other teams want win 2 games.  

I’ll have to disagree, too. I see what you are saying, but I can remember a time back in the day (2003) when 3 teams advanced from our district: Garrison, San Augustine, and Timpson. Alto did not even make the playoffs that year for the first time in 15 years and played Garrison to a touchdown. SA went D1 and won the state championship. Garrison and Timpson met in the quarterfinals with Garrison advancing and winning the D2 championship. There are plenty of other examples to justify taking 2 or more teams......teams from a tough district who are battle tested and then make some noise through the playoffs.

On the flip side, Houston Scarborough advanced in 2014 after going 0-10. How? They were in a four team district! That was ridiculous.....but UIL should have had made a larger district! I’m sure they knew that was a possibility, especially knowing Scarborough’s history! Lol

I do believe in District 11 there is a real shot for them to sweep District 12....or at least go 3-1. SA will be a tough out, but there is a possibility that the 4th place team will give them a battle!

31 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

I disagree,if Alto can quit fumbling they have the size and talent to roll a ways into the playoffs,and teams have been known to get hot and become hard to beat in the Playoffs..js 

8 weeks into the season I believe you are who you are, fumbles, penalties, very undisciplined.  It says nothing to win a district anymore or be the runnerup.  Come in fourth place and get in. Its a joke.

8 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I’ll have to disagree, too. I see what you are saying, but I can remember a time back in the day (2003) when 3 teams advanced from our district: Garrison, San Augustine, and Timpson. Alto did not even make the playoffs that year for the first time in 15 years and played Garrison to a touchdown. SA went D1 and won the state championship. Garrison and Timpson met in the quarterfinals with Garrison advancing and winning the D2 championship. There are plenty of other examples to justify taking 2 or more teams......teams from a tough district who are battle tested and then make some noise through the playoffs.

On the flip side, Houston Scarborough advanced in 2014 after going 0-10. How? They were in a four team district! That was ridiculous.....but UIL should have had made a larger district! I’m sure they knew that was a possibility, espresso ally knowing Scarborough’s history! Lol

I do believe in District 11 there is a real shot for them to sweep District 12....or at least go 3-1. SA will be a tough out, but there is a possibility that the 4th place team will give them a battle!

SA kills Cushing if Cushing gets in!!!

12 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

On the flip side, Houston Scarborough advanced in 2014 after going 0-10. How? They were in a four team district! That was ridiculous.....but UIL should have had made a larger district! I’m sure they knew that was a possibility, espresso ally knowing Scarborough’s history! Lol

The 1st place team in Garrison could barely beat us earlier in the year and we are even stronger now.  

49 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

SA and Joe with one of them going home. That would be the story of round 1 

I agree. That’s a pretty dang competitive bi-district round. Lol I think SA wins, but still more of a battle than you’ll see in most 1 seeds playing 4 seeds. 

2 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

On the flip side, Houston Scarborough advanced in 2014 after going 0-10. How? They were in a four team district! That was ridiculous.....but UIL should have had made a larger district! I’m sure they knew that was a possibility, especially knowing Scarborough’s history! Lol

I believe Joaquin Head Coach Wade Lawson may be on to something with his call for Texas to adopt something like Louisiana’s power points based playoff system. He’s correct in that it wouldn’t work to do it statewide like they do over there, but he has an idea that I think has a lot of merit. First things first: district championship gets you in the playoffs with the guarantee of hosting your first round game if you choose to. If you prefer to play somewhere else with turf and/ or more seating, that’s your call. The district champs are all seeded based on their points, followed by the rest of the teams in the region. You gain power points based on who you have played. For example, Union Grove’s non District schedule would not have gotten them a lot of points because they played down almost every game against teams that aren’t very impressive. Garrison would get points for beating a district champion (SA), but probably wouldn’t be penalized for losing to a 3A D1 playoff team (Crockett). You would reward teams for playing and winning tougher non District games, which gives meaning to those games. As it is now, your first 4-5 games, depending on how big a district you’re in, mean squat. You have a team in district 12 that went 0-2 vs district 11, but they’re going to the playoffs while it’s guaranteed that one of the teams that beat them stays home, and the other one missing out is a possibility. Also, as an extra reward for winning tougher non-district games, the district champion that earns the top seed gets home field advantage all the way to regional finals. For instance, say Carlisle beat Joaquin and Hemphill instead of Overton and Bowie. That probably gets them the top seed. If they choose, they get all four games through regional finals at their house. I know Huntington is the feel-good story right now, but am I the only one with a bad taste in my mouth over a 3-7 team with the 3 wins coming over teams that are a combined 2-28 making the playoffs while it’s possible that a 7-3 team (Joaquin or Linden-Kildare) stays home? If there’s a better way, shouldn’t we at least explore the idea? 

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I believe Joaquin Head Coach Wade Lawson may be on to something with his call for Texas to adopt something like Louisiana’s power points based playoff system. He’s correct in that it wouldn’t work to do it statewide like they do over there, but he has an idea that I think has a lot of merit. First things first: district championship gets you in the playoffs with the guarantee of hosting your first round game if you choose to. If you prefer to play somewhere else with turf and/ or more seating, that’s your call. The district champs are all seeded based on their points, followed by the rest of the teams in the region. You gain power points based on who you have played. For example, Union Grove’s non District schedule would not have gotten them a lot of points because they played down almost every game against teams that aren’t very impressive. Garrison would get points for beating a district champion (SA), but probably wouldn’t be penalized for losing to a 3A D1 playoff team (Crockett). You would reward teams for playing and winning tougher non District games, which gives meaning to those games. As it is now, your first 4-5 games, depending on how big a district you’re in, mean squat. You have a team in district 12 that went 0-2 vs district 11, but they’re going to the playoffs while it’s guaranteed that one of the teams that beat them stays home, and the other one missing out is a possibility. Also, as an extra reward for winning tougher non-district games, the district champion that earns the top seed gets home field advantage all the way to regional finals. For instance, say Carlisle beat Joaquin and Hemphill instead of Overton and Bowie. That probably gets them the top seed. If they choose, they get all four games through regional finals at their house. I know Huntington is the feel-good story right now, but am I the only one with a bad taste in my mouth over a 3-7 team with the 3 wins coming over teams that are a combined 2-28 making the playoffs while it’s possible that a 7-3 team (Joaquin or Linden-Kildare) stays home? If there’s a better way, shouldn’t we at least explore the idea? 

Like the sound of this better than the watered down process we have now. Still I don't think any reason for more than two teams to the playoffs out of each district

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Food for thought for sure.  Has Coach Lawson presented this idea to anyone?  Do they do this for all classifications in Louisiana?  Probably too much of a hassle for UIL! lol

1 minute ago, Red90fly said:

Cushing wins 35-26.

#1 Carlisle

#2 Alto.

BS/Cushing battle for 3rd/4th next week.

I really think bs would be fine going as the 4th seed if they could play Centerville again but I hope they don't I hate to see them lose. It doesn't matter after next week there's only one team that doesn't end up a loser of a final game... but doesn't mean they are losers. They played the greatest team game ever invented for their classmates and most times friend next to them! How many men would go back to high school and not play again regardless of the outcome!

Hard to believe!

WEEK 10 (11/2/18) Results:

• Alto 55 - Hawkins 0
  • Carlisle 40 - Big Sandy  6
  • Cushing 35 - Union Grove 26

DISTRICT STANDINGS:

4-0 | 9-0 Carlisle
3-1 | 6-3 Alto
2-2 | 6-2 Cushing
2-2 | 4-5 Big Sandy 
1-3 | 6-3 Union Grove
0-4 | 2-7 Hawkins