A trip down memory lane-Marshall vs Odessa 1988

Sportsfanatic1

Epic game that put Marshall on the football map.  

Since that game the Mavs have been to the playoffs 19 times with a state championship in 1990 with two more title game appearances, a semifinals, 7 district championships, and 6 regional appearances.  

There have been some low points sprinkled in that time period too.  

But it’s been a fun ride MOST of the last 30 years    But when it has been bad... it’s been painful.   

Luckily.......2018 has high hopes

• Like 2

The thing is... Hollywood usually changes things to make them more dramatic. 

But the REALITY of what happened that day was 1000Xs more exciting and dramatic than the fiction that was put in the movie. 

🤷‍♂️ 

56 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I always heard that the 88 Marshall team was very good. Lufkin wasn’t that bad either that year. 

Lufkin and Marshall we’re both in the top 10 in 1988. We both lost to Dallas Carter in the playoffs. We lost in the quarterfinals on a Hail Mary pass to Jessie  Armstead. 

The 1988 Lufkin-Marshall game was EPIC.  Both were state ranked. 

Lufkin jumped out to a 29-3 lead at halftime.  Until the comeback. 

Marshall scored 30 unanswered points for the 33-29 win.  I have a video of the game somewhere.  

Mavs only gave up 13 combined total points in their other FIVE district games. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Lufkin and Marshall we’re both in the top 10 in 1988. We both lost to Dallas Carter in the playoffs. We lost in the quarterfinals on a Hail Mary pass to Jessie  Armstead. 

Marshall scored 30 unanswered points for the 33-29 win.  I have a video of the game somewhere.  

Wow. Sound like a great game between us.  Well, great until y’all came back and won..😂

• LOL! 1

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I would not call the Carter pass a hail mary. 

and Floyd Wooten was the hero against Lufkin with a pick 6 to complete the comeback

In the movie....Permian won the game.  And I believe it was in Odessa per the movie. 

Part of the reason it was such a big deal was that they FLEW in for the game.  Which was u heard of back in the day.  But Mojo was Mojo. No questions were asked back then. 

Not to mention they took the entire group to Johnny Cases to eat.  Bet that wasn’t cheap. 

And of course course an unranked team beating them on a HOT Saturday afternoon. They were top 5 IIRC. 

Coach Parker was hospitable. He gave the Panthers all the soft drinks they could drink at halftime on that 90-degree day. 😂

1 hour ago, TxBroadcaster said:

I would not call the Carter pass a hail mary. 

Wasn’t it 40 or so yards with less than a minute to play?

jesse Armstead went on to have a stellar career with the NY Giants. 

Just another reason to hate the Giants. 

14 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Wasn’t it 40 or so yards with less than a minute to play?

jesse Armstead went on to have a stellar career with the NY Giants. 

Just another reason to hate the Giants. 

18 yards I think it was..and If Michael Todd had not been hurt the week before, no doubt in my mind he would have been there on the play.

59 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

In the movie....Permian won the game.  And I believe it was in Odessa per the movie. 

Part of the reason it was such a big deal was that they FLEW in for the game.  Which was u heard of back in the day.  But Mojo was Mojo. No questions were asked back then. 

Not to mention they took the entire group to Johnny Cases to eat.  Bet that wasn’t cheap. 

And of course course an unranked team beating them on a HOT Saturday afternoon. They were top 5 IIRC. 

Coach Parker was hospitable. He gave the Panthers all the soft drinks they could drink at halftime on that 90-degree day. 😂

To be fair Marshall was ranked going into that game..#9 I think. The Mavericks were one of the teams talked about in the preseason. They had a great team the year before but back to back losses to Longview and Lee had them as the 8-2 3rd place team. It was one of the districts that UIL pointed to as why a 3rd play off team would be a good thing. 

Marshall was the run away pick for district and while Permian was ranked higher and had the mojo, many picked Marshall to win the game. 

5 hours ago, Hlion said:

Oh ok I would be a irritated as well . Thanks I figured y'all probably were pretty dang good winning in 1990.  I think they got your colors wrong as well if I recall.

Yeah, in the movie they had Marshall’s colors as purple and gold......and they weren’t the Mavericks either.....not sure why changing those bits of reality made for a more interesting movie......that’s where I learned Hollywood’s ‘based on a true story’ means you can take it with a grain of salt......

17 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Yeah, in the movie they had Marshall’s colors as purple and gold......and they weren’t the Mavericks either.....not sure why changing those bits of reality made for a more interesting movie......that’s where I learned Hollywood’s ‘based on a true story’ means you can take it with a grain of salt......

They changed colors and mascot so they could just use Midland High's uniform.

1 hour ago, TxBroadcaster said:

They changed colors and mascot so they could just use Midland High's uniform.

Regardless of why they did it, it was an insult to Marshall High School, and contributed nothing to the story.......its not like using Midland’s uniforms was a HUGE cost saving, it did make the ‘based on a true story’ a joke, especially when they had Permian winning the game......

7 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Regardless of why they did it, it was an insult to Marshall High School, and contributed nothing to the story.......its not like using Midland’s uniforms was a HUGE cost saving, it did make the ‘based on a true story’ a joke, especially when they had Permian winning the game......

There always has been a rumor that Marshall ISD were hard arses about the use of Marshall Mavs stuff in movie and some even said the loss was a shot at them for it. Who knows

Peter Berg the director said basically having Permian be upset in a game they were the favorite hurt the narrative of Permian as the gutsy underdog champion. Which makes sense. 

10 hours ago, TxBroadcaster said:

18 yards I think it was..and If Michael Todd had not been hurt the week before, no doubt in my mind he would have been there on the play.

Carter had not ran Armstead at TE all year. Carter coach James told Coach Parker after the game that they had never even ran the play before. Told Jessie to just get open. Coach Parker still wishes he wouldn;t have squibbed kicked after Marshall scored with barley a minute left.  Carter ended up with great field position off the kick.

22 minutes ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

Carter had not ran Armstead at TE all year. Carter coach James told Coach Parker after the game that they had never even ran the play before. Told Jessie to just get open. Coach Parker still wishes he wouldn;t have squibbed kicked after Marshall scored with barley a minute left.  Carter ended up with great field position off the kick.

Yep the squib had been big in getting onside kicks early in the play offs but that and then the big play that set them up for the TD pass were gut punches