Garrison vs Groveton Scrimmage

KirtFalcon

I got there a little late

Garrison JV 1 or 2  Groveton JV 1 or 2  .... not sure

Controlled Scrimmage 

Garrison 1 Groveton 1

Live 20 min quarter

Garrison 4  Groveton 0

Garrison's defense looked really good, had a couple of interceptions and a fumble recovery.  The Dawgs running game is going to be strong and the passing game looks good for this early.  The offense is balanced and we have a couple of really good running backs ... the key to the season will be staying healthy ...

11 minutes ago, SAWolfman said:

What did Groveton look like?

They ran the ball pretty well but couldn't sustain drives, they completed a few passes.  They were pretty physical running the ball.  Our defense put a lot of pressure on their QB several times and their offensive line let us penetrate into the backfield and disrupt a lot of their plays.   I don't know if it was conditioning, but they looked like they were wearing down in my opinion.  I have seen Groveton look a lot better than this in recent years  ...

Edited by KirtFalcon

5 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

They ran the ball pretty well but couldn't sustain drives, they completed a few passes.  They were pretty physical running the ball.  Our defense put a lot of pressure on their QB several times and their offensive line let us penetrate into the backfield and disrupt a lot of their plays.   I don't know if it was conditioning, but they looked like they were wearing down in my opinion.  I have seen Groveton look a lot better than this in recent years  ...

They better get on the ball then....we need some competition in district!

Groveton couldn't tackle a guy in a phone booth. Contact was made at line of scrimmage and Garrison back just kept running. Granted he was bigger and physical but Groveton made em look like Bo Scarborough. Groveton threw several passes and mostly incomplete. They kept trying to run right up the middle which is Garrison strength. Garrison O-line and D-line pass the eye test. Better be able to get the edge on Garrison or you will struggle. Groveton will struggle and Garrison gonna be a tough out

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Bulldogs rock and roll Groveton in scrimmage finale

http://dailysentinel.com/sports/article_4d1e2e99-ff2c-5f7b-b87e-479243b36072.html

Wow... Really good sign that your kids made adjustments that effectively on the fly this early. Best of luck to the Bulldogs this season. Was Grovetons defense as bad as some of the statements? If so they are gonna have their hands full will Lovelady Friday..

3 minutes ago, Reddog92 said:

Wow... Really good sign that your kids made adjustments that effectively on the fly this early. Best of luck to the Bulldogs this season. Was Grovetons defense as bad as some of the statements? If so they are gonna have their hands full will Lovelady Friday..

They haven't been able to stop a cold in years.

3 minutes ago, Reddog92 said:

We were able to run the ball on them pretty easily.  We have some strong boys up front blocking and some good backs ... Our lines on both sides of the ball seemed to wear them down.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StingEmALTO said:

Has the Arp guy verified this? 😂

The "Arp guy" sees everything through rose colored glasses ... he can watch the same game as most people and see things normal people are oblivious to .... he's like a blind boxing judge feeling his way around in the dark ... 🤣

• LOL! 1

16 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I got there a little late

Garrison JV 1 or 2  Groveton JV 1 or 2  .... not sure

Controlled Scrimmage 

Center 1 Groveton 1

Live 20 min quarter

Center 4  Groveton 0

Garrison's defense looked really good, had a couple of interceptions and a fumble recovery.  The Dawgs running game is going to be strong and the passing game looks good for this early.  The offense is balanced and we have a couple of really good running backs ... the key to the season will be staying healthy ...

Corrected for ya

• LOL! 1

Garrison looked good. They have size upfront and are good in the backfield for 2A. To early to say for sure how good they are though. Arp is down (4-6) last season and Groveton is way way down and imo will fight just to make it in the playoffs in a weak district 12. They would be a 6th place team in District 11. It will all play out in the next few weeks. They have a solid preseason schedule. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottFrost said:

Garrison looked good. They have size upfront and are good in the backfield for 2A. To early to say for sure how good they are though. Arp is down (4-6) last season and Groveton is way way down and imo will fight just to make it in the playoffs in a weak district 12. They would be a 6th place team in District 11. It will all play out in the next few weeks. They have a solid preseason schedule. 

SA is clear favorite for 12.  But unfortunately it will be Groveton or Shelbyville that will take 2nd.  Horrible district!

35 minutes ago, Ilovefootball2 said:

#PoundTheRock  needs to be implemented to the coaches at Garrison !!  We once had a coach there that would rush the ball 48 times and basically he would say stop me if you can that is what needs to happen at Garrison again !!!!

You can beat a lot of teams with that philosophy until you run into a defense that shuts it down.  Very few teams make deep playoff runs that have one dimensional offenses.  You have got to be able to throw the ball to keep defenses from stacking the box to stop your run game.  Garrison has a pretty balanced offense with what they are doing now.  Look back at the 2001-2003 teams that made it to the finals .... they had balanced offenses ... a strong running game and the ability to throw the ball as well .... that's the ticket to the greatest success .... that said, I do like to "pound the rock" and control the game physically ... you just better be able to throw it too to compliment that running game ... 

• Like 1