Week 1: Alto Yellowjackets @ Westwood Panthers - 8/31

StingEmALTO

Week 1: Alto Yellowjackets @ Westwood Panthers - 8/31  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win in the season opener?

• Alto
    • Westwood

Alto (10-2A D1) travels to Palestine Westwood (11-3A D1) Friday to open the 2018 football season under new head coach Ricky Meeks (OC Tatum). Kick-off is 7:30. The Jackets are coming off their first losing season in 30 years (4-7) while Westwood, after opening last year with a win over Frankston, lost their remaining games to finish the season 1-9. Westwood is also under new leadership this year as Richard Bishop (OC Grapevine) takes over.

Which first-time head coach gets his very first win?

Thanks guys! I was wondering if anyone from Westwood ever gets on here. But I guess football has never been too high on their list. 

Chain, when you said that about playing last Thursday night I remember now you commenting in our district thread. Thanks for the reminder and the update!

Those folks from Sabine are pretty confident! Looks like Carlisle might have their hands full (I doubt it! Lol), but I’m confident those Indians will be 1-0 after the game!

15 hours ago, corrigancamden09 said:

We scrimmaged them last week, we scored 2 and they scored 0 in a controlled scrimmage.. we didn’t get to play any live quarters cause we also scrimmaged Huntington that night.. 

they Have a few speedsters and the defense was pretty good

Sounds like Westwood has improved.  Thanks for the info; besides Carlisle I could never find who they scrimmaged.

7 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Sounds like Westwood has improved.  Thanks for the info; besides Carlisle I could never find who they scrimmaged.

You’re welcome! And yes they have gotten a lil better ,  I look for y’all to eventually wear them down and take over the game.. 

thats what happened in the scrimmage when we played them,  I believe if we would have played a live quarter it would have gotten bad.. they was tired towards the end of the scrimmage 

How yall liking ole Ricky Meeks down there? I find myself wondering if yall have enough athletes to run his style of offense. I dont mean like athetic ability, i mean like enough players in general, enough depth. Meeks snaps the ball about every 12 seconds from the whistle to blow the play dead to the next snap. Extremely fast paced offense. Wonder if he keeps that up or slows it down due to less depth.

13 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

How yall liking ole Ricky Meeks down there? I find myself wondering if yall have enough athletes to run his style of offense. I dont mean like athetic ability, i mean like enough players in general, enough depth. Meeks snaps the ball about every 12 seconds from the whistle to blow the play dead to the next snap. Extremely fast paced offense. Wonder if he keeps that up or slows it down due to less depth.

We are running pretty fast. Of course we have been accustomed to going to the sideline for each play. Now everything is coming to all units via signals, so we’ve sped things up considerably. Wouldn’t say it’s every 12 seconds, but pretty dog gone fast. It’s evident through watching us practice that he wants to make sure we are superior to our competition in the conditioning aspect of things. He’s making sure his horses can run lol. And to answer your question, we are thrilled he’s here. Our kids love to play for him.

Just now, SwarmingOnEm said:

We are running pretty fast. Of course we have been accustomed to going to the sideline for each play. Now everything is coming to all units via signals, so we’ve sped things up considerably. Wouldn’t say it’s every 12 seconds, but pretty dog gone fast. And to answer your question, we are thrilled he’s here. Our kids love to play for him.

Great guy and great coach, rooting for yall this year. That hurry up he likes to run, if y'all have enough depth to run it will devastate 2A defenses with all those 2way starters.

3 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Great guy and great coach, rooting for yall this year. That hurry up he likes to run, if y'all have enough depth to run it will devastate 2A defenses with all those 2way starters.

Thank you, and likewise. Heard great news about your injured kid. Hope he continues towards a full recovery.

5 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Thank you, and likewise. Heard great news about your injured kid. Hope he continues towards a full recovery.

Thanks. He was lucky, surgeon said with the amount of damage that was done it was a miracle that it wasn't much much worse. DJ was very lucky. 12 weeks in a neck brace. Long recovery ahead of him. 

Not sure what the Corrigan guy saw, but from the people I talked to from Westwood and the film I've seen it would have been a good live quarter, not out of hand at all. I don't think WW turned the ball over on offense and the last time I saw them go against each other CC was getting 3-4 yards per carry with their ground and pound attack. Worst case scenario for WW in a live quarter would have been never touching the ball, not tiredness. Neither team scored on each other, but both had a field day against Huntington

18 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Thanks guys! I was wondering if anyone from Westwood ever gets on here. But I guess football has never been too high on their list. 

Chain, when you said that about playing last Thursday night I remember now you commenting in our district thread. Thanks for the reminder and the update!

Those folks from Sabine are pretty confident! Looks like Carlisle might have their hands full (I doubt it! Lol), but I’m confident those Indians will be 1-0 after the game!

Sabine has the 3a linebacker of the year returning, won't be nothing easy about it... Lol 

13 minutes ago, NewBallCoach said:

Not sure what the Corrigan guy saw, but from the people I talked to from Westwood and the film I've seen it would have been a good live quarter, not out of hand at all. I don't think WW turned the ball over on offense and the last time I saw them go against each other CC was getting 3-4 yards per carry with their ground and pound attack. Worst case scenario for WW in a live quarter would have been never touching the ball, not tiredness. Neither team scored on each other, but both had a field day against Huntington

I know we scored once! Might have been mistaken because we scored so much on Huntington.. lol 

but I was giving credit to Westwood saying they had some speed and and pretty good defense.. I will stick by what I said .. they was getting tired and wearing down towards the end of the scrimmage