What are the new rules this year?

Monte1076

40 second clock after TD's and after kickoffs will speed game up a bit.  No excessive celebrations after TDs and no sideline huddles forever after kickoffs.  I think the biggest change though will be the cut blocking.  When I was a kid, it was the only way us running backs were ever taught to block.  Now it's illegal.

13 hours ago, MattStepp said:

The cut blocking is the big one..the kickoff rule will have a minimal effect on HS games IMO

I concur, numerous teams/schemes rely heavily on cut blocks...what effect will those changes have on those teams offenses..

gonna look different running sweeps this year on the edges...

The cut block rule will basically be the same as it has been the last couple of years. Just can’t cut past 5 yards downfield. 5 guys in the box can still cut just has to be at a 10-2 angle, which it has been for the last few years. No way a crew can tell the difference in most cases between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 yards. They will call it off of where the umpire is standing. Equal to or in front it’s legal, behind it’s not. So imo you will have about 7 yards on most Friday nights. That’s the only way it can be consistent. 

8 minutes ago, ScottFrost said:

The cut block rule will basically be the same as it has been the last couple of years. Just can’t cut past 5 yards downfield. 5 guys in the box can still cut just has to be at a 10-2 angle, which it has been for the last few years. No way a crew can tell the difference in most cases between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 yards. They will call it off of where the umpire is standing. Equal to or in front it’s legal, behind it’s not. So imo you will have about 7 yards on most Friday nights. That’s the only way it can be consistent. 

agree that the change is minimal, until you have OL kids out on edge trying to pass block a quicker player...better have technique down pat or those plays hitting the edges may not be as effective...totally agree interior line will be business as usual...

I watched a scrimmage where the running back and guard were pulling to lead block and defender came up and went low to split the block and the referee threw a flag on him for going low. Defenders coach went ballistic on the ref and after a five minute discussion with the coach the ref told him he better get used to it and coach his kids accordingly because it was going to be strictly enforced. They were about three yards down field and outside the tackle box.

Defensive restrictions on low blocks is unchanged from previous years.  They have been limited to 5 yards on each side of the neutral zone for years. 

Also interior linemen inside the tackle box are not subject to the 10/2 requirement as long as neither they nor the ball have been outside the tackle box.  Once either of those events occur, they then are required to be within 10/2 as well. 

We had I believe 3 flags for chop blocks in our game last night. One of those was downfield, the other was for a hi-lo that the official, IMO, did a poor job of explaining to the coach. I’m paraphrasing here: 

Coach: What’s the flag, ref? 

Ref: Illegal chip block at the line of scrimmage!

Coach: Huh?

Ref: Chop block at the LOS! 

Coach: We’re allowed to cut them at the LOS!

Ref: (incoherent)

Coach: WTH?

Ref: Coach, your tackle is blocking the defender up high, the guard comes in and cuts him. 

Coach: OK, it’s a HI-LO. Thanks! 

Ref: Yes it’s a hi-lo, but I’m calling it as the rule book states. 

I’m not exaggerating, the coach asked him to clarify three times before he got it out of him that the flag was because a cut block was done on a player who was previously engaged with another blocker. The ref could have saved quite a bit of time and frustration by clearly explaining the call the first time. 

7 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

We had I believe 3 flags for chop blocks in our game last night. One of those was downfield, the other was for a hi-lo that the official, IMO, did a poor job of explaining to the coach. I’m paraphrasing here: 

Coach: What’s the flag, ref? 

Ref: Illegal chip block at the line of scrimmage!

Coach: Huh?

Ref: Chop block at the LOS! 

Coach: We’re allowed to cut them at the LOS!

Ref: (incoherent)

Coach: WTH?

Ref: Coach, your tackle is blocking the defender up high, the guard comes in and cuts him. 

Coach: OK, it’s a HI-LO. Thanks! 

Ref: Yes it’s a hi-lo, but I’m calling it as the rule book states. 

I’m not exaggerating, the coach asked him to clarify three times before he got it out of him that the flag was because a cut block was done on a player who was previously engaged with another blocker. The ref could have saved quite a bit of time and frustration by clearly explaining the call the first time. 

Your being a chump about the explanation from the ref.