Bands can't play after huddle breaks?

Acewell

BOTH teams have a band! If the other band ####, then that’s on them!! Work harder! Inspire your kids!! Get a band director that’s a TEAM player! Everything the bands do at game time adds to the whole “Friday Night Lights” mystique! People these days are such cry babies.

The Alto Band gets our football team, fans, AND THE OPPONENTS PUMPED. It’s always fun to watch the other side dancing to our band’s music.....football players and all! This is America. This is Texas. Step up your “game,” get competitive and do something about your own band instead of whining to the referees. 

9 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

BOTH teams have a band! If the other band ####, then that’s on them!! Work harder! Inspire your kids!! Get a band director that’s a TEAM player! Everything the bands do at game time adds to the whole “Friday Night Lights” mystique! People these days are such cry babies.

The Alto Band gets our football team, fans, AND THE OPPONENTS PUMPED. It’s always fun to watch the other side dancing to our band’s music.....football players and all! This is America. This is Texas. Step up your “game,” get competitive and do something about your own band instead of whining to the referees. 

OR, you could tell your coach AND your band director to read the UIL rule book. I’m all for being part of the game, but purposely waiting until the offense goes to their snap count, then having your 8 tubas play so out of tune they sound like 100 clarinets is NOT sportsmanship. Of course, why would anyone expect sportsmanship from the school that turned out the lights with kids still on the field? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

OR, you could tell your coach AND your band director to read the UIL rule book. I’m all for being part of the game, but purposely waiting until the offense goes to their snap count, then having your 8 tubas play so out of tune they sound like 100 clarinets is NOT sportsmanship. Of course, why would anyone expect sportsmanship from the school that turned out the lights with kids still on the field? 

Old regime. However, the track lights are always on so there was plenty of light, I’m sure.

“Out of tune?” Well that’s curious. Strange how your band director and entire band and twirlers stayed after the game the season before last in Joaquin to join our band in the middle of the field to have a jam session together. I guess they didn’t think our tubas sounded so bad. 😂 

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

The really good bands have certain songs they play when the other team has the ball....they lower the volume between plays and as soon as the other team comes to the line they crank it up...Allen and Aledo come to mind

Same with us. Home field advantage. 

27 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

It’s always fun to hear the Carlisle and Alto bands play when our teams face each other. Band brings a whole other atmosphere to the game

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StingEmALTO said:

Old regime. However, the track lights are always on so there was plenty of light, I’m sure.

“Out of tune?” Well that’s curious. Strange how your band director and entire band and twirlers stayed after the game the season before last in Joaquin to join our band in the middle of the field to have a jam session together. I guess they didn’t think our tubas sounded so bad. 😂 

I was on the field after the game in Alto last year. There were no lights on, I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. So your school left about 100 kids walking around in the dark over sour grapes from a butt whipping. As far as the postgame Jam, our band invites every visiting band to do that. The drum major is my daughter. 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I was on the field after the game in Alto last year. There were no lights on, I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. So your school left about 100 kids walking around in the dark over sour grapes from a butt whipping. As far as the postgame Jam, our band invites every visiting band to do that. The drum major is my daughter. 

“Butt whipping?” A loss by two scores is not exactly a butt whipping. For Joaquin, maybe. To me a “butt whipping” is more like 47-6 thrashing in a second round playoff game in Tatum. Or a 63-0 thumping in the regular season. And I could go on and on. But whatever helps you feel better.

My apologies on behalf of the community for the light situation. Totally new leadership this year and I assure you that will not happen on their watch.

Tell your daughter to keep up the good work! Those band kids work hard. I know!! I have one myself. 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

“Butt whipping?” A loss by two scores is not exactly a butt whipping. For Joaquin, maybe. To me a “butt whipping” is more like 47-6 thrashing in a second round playoff game in Tatum. Or a 63-0 thumping in the regular season. And I could go on and on. But whatever helps you feel better.

My apologies on behalf of the community for the light situation. Totally new leadership this year and I assure you that will not happen on their watch.

Tell your daughter to keep up the good work! Those band kids work hard. I know!! I have one myself. 👍🏻

Good luck to y’all this season. Any chance we’ll see the Mean Sting at marching contest? 

7 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Hold on, didn’t Bird go to Jacksonville many years after leaving Carthage? Can’t remember for sure.

I was in the band under the direction of stuart bird.  Great band director.  We were pretty darn salty back then.  What surratt is to our football team bird was for our band.  I agree with others with regard to the current director.  It's like "Sigh, we gotta football game friday night, yawn."  The year after i graduated mr bird became the principal for the high school.  He left after a few years to become the superintendent for troup isd.  He just retired this past june.

7 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I was in the band under the direction of stuart bird.  Great band director.  We were pretty darn salty back then.  What surratt is to our football team bird was for our band.  I agree with others with regard to the current director.  It's like "Sigh, we gotta football game friday night, yawn."  The year after i graduated mr bird became the principal for the high school.  He left after a few years to become the superintendent for troup isd.  He just retired this past june.

Dude was a heck of a band director. I was under Hubbard and Bird would come to practice a few nights per season. We went from practicing pretty good to being a beast of a band immediately. He commanded respect and precision, it was awesome. Hubbard did well, but Bird brought out the best. 

4 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Dude was a heck of a band director. I was under Hubbard and Bird would come to practice a few nights per season. We went from practicing pretty good to being a beast of a band immediately. He commanded respect and precision, it was awesome. Hubbard did well, but Bird brought out the best. 

He worked our butts off and expected and accepted nothing but excellence.  One of a kind.  One time i was fooling around during marching practice he called me out in front of the whole band.  We marched around 200 in those days.  When stuart bird calls you a sorry individual in front of 200 of your classmates you straighten up quick.  He was tough as nails but i love the guy.

3 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

He worked our butts off and expected and accepted nothing but excellence.  One of a kind.  One time i was fooling around during marching practice he called me out in front of the whole band.  We marched around 200 in those days.  When stuart bird calls you a sorry individual in front of 200 of your classmates you straighten up quick.  He was tough as nails but i love the guy.

He always called me a gentleman and a scholar. 

On 9/1/2018 at 10:16 AM, Golfingnut said:

My comment was about this particular situation, and it was blasting noise, not playing a song loudly, which by the way is fine. Nothing wrong with playing loudly or playing a song at anytime. My comment was about what happened last night and the rule associated with it. In my day and age what happened last night was rude. Today it's acceptable but yet still against the rules. 

Bottom line, the refs made the decision rather quickly to stop it. In my opinion they did the right thing by waiting till it caused an issue and then calling it. It didn't stop the band from playing songs throughout the game. They sounded great. SH has an outstanding band and a really good football team.

Words...

12 minutes ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

Well be prepared to be offended next Friday night, too. The Atlanta band is gonna lay the hammer down anytime the opposing team is on offense and especially if they're right in front of the BBBFRL. 

I remember you were offended last year by the Atlanta band because they played while the Gladewater band was playing...bands don't "take turns" anymore like they used to and it's not meant to be rude or disrespectful. Bands play in the stands for their team and fans...it's not a concert in an auditorium. That same band that offended you and described as "classless" is the same one that let the Gladewater band take refuge from the rain in their band facility.

Never said I was offended. Never said they played over our band nor did I ever give a reason why I made the comment that they had no class. Don't put words in my mouth when you have no clue. 

I didn't start this thread. All I did was give my opinion, which last I heard, was my right to do. No one whinned to the refs Friday night and it's not my fault they stopped the Spring Hill band from blasting their 3 beat, 2 notes after the Bears set up at the line of scrimmage. The refs let it go a few times until it had it's desired effect, so they called it. It didn't happen again. I will say again, I have no problem with any band playing and getting their fans pumped up during the game.  This whole thread is about an incident that happened that was against UIL rules. Doesn't matter if we like the rule or not. If it's a rule bands shouldn't break it. 

As far as this Friday night goes, tell your band to go for it, but whether it's now or back when I was in the band, it is still rude to play when the other band is playing. That being said, it's not against the rules, so go for it. 

• Stinks 1

2 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Never said I was offended. Never said they played over our band nor did I ever give a reason why I made the comment that they had no class. Don't put words in my mouth when you have no clue. 

I didn't start this thread. All I did was give my opinion, which last I heard, was my right to do. No one whinned to the refs Friday night and it's not my fault they stopped the Spring Hill band from blasting their 3 beat, 2 notes after the Bears set up at the line of scrimmage. The refs let it go a few times until it had it's desired effect, so they called it. It didn't happen again. I will say again, I have no problem with any band playing and getting their fans pumped up during the game.  This whole thread is about an incident that happened that was against UIL rules. Doesn't matter if we like the rule or not. If it's a rule bands shouldn't break it. 

As far as this Friday night goes, tell your band to go for it, but whether it's now or back when I was in the band, it is still rude to play when the other band is playing. That being said, it's not against the rules, so go for it. 

Can't delete so I'll just delete the text.

27 minutes ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

I'm not putting words in your mouth but I'm guessing it was petty since you can't remember the reason...and with regards to the "marching band treatise on rules and decorum" you speak from OPINION, not fact. 20 years ago bands would take turns but not anymore. All the directors at these schools are friends and could care less when the other band plays. 

I'm not really concerned about whatever went on at the Spring Hill game...I just recalled you had an issue with the Atlanta band last year after the Gladewater, in your words "had no class", but didn't give a specific reason and wanted you go ahead and prepare you for them playing loudly so we don't have to hash this out on Friday. 

For someone that isn't concerned, you sure have decided to keep posting on multiple threads about it. Playing loudly was not the issue, breaking the rules was. What happened last Friday night was against the rules. That's not my opinion, that's fact.  Oh, and yes I do remember why I said it. I didn't continue to post about it because despite what happened (which you know nothing about), I decided to let it go. As I posted on another thread, I was wrong to say what I did even if I had good reason to be upset. You don't have to worry about me hashing it out on Friday. It won't happen. 

• Stinks 1