Week 2: Timpson Bears @ Alto Yellowjackets - 9/07

StingEmALTO

Timpson Bears @ Alto Yellowjackets  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the preseason matchup of Timpson (1-0) at Alto (1-0)?

• Alto
    • Timpson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2018 at 12:30 AM

Westwood had 90 offensive plays, 38 runs and only 5 rushing yards. They also got 8 extra drives due to turnovers, Alto only punted twice all night. This Alto D is more like the mid 90’s and the two state title runs than the defense that we have been putting on the field. If we can shore up our pass defense, we are going to win a lot of games. We have a 4 back rotation on offense, and we throw the ball more than in the past. Yes, the Qb is a little rusty on some of his throws, but it is his first year to play Qb since junior high. He is going to get better every week, and settle in to his new position. I’m actually looking foward to Friday nights again!!!!

2 hours ago, Ilovefootball2 said:

For the Bears to stay with alto Timpson will need run winsprints/ conditioning drills because I promise you from seeing it firsthand the Bears were gassed by the running back and quarterback from himphill the other night !  If the hornets had a great line timpson and would’ve not stop them. A/B gap is open!! Alto will dominate this game if they execute their plan the Bears have a great system at quarterback and running back!  The Bears do have a great DE!  Should be a great match in an old rivalry returns good luck to both teams 

That’s where Alto has an advantage this year: conditioning. Our boys were “punchin’ ‘em in the mouth” during the 4th quarter of the game whereas WW was struggling and worn down. Huge difference from last year and in the end will make all the difference. 

3 minutes ago, Alto44 said:

Westwood had 90 offensive plays, 38 runs and only 5 rushing yards. They also got 8 extra drives due to turnovers, Alto only punted twice all night. This Alto D is more like the mid 90’s and the two state title runs than the defense that we have been putting on the field. If we can shore up our pass defense, we are going to win a lot of games. We have a 4 back rotation on offense, and we throw the ball more than in the past. Yes, the Qb is a little rusty on some of his throws, but it is his first year to play Qb since junior high. He is going to get better every week, and settle in to his new position. I’m actually looking foward to Friday nights again!!!!

Correction: 38 run attempts and 3 yards of rushing. 😂  Pretty dang good!

I agree with everything you said. And YES, Friday nights are gonna be fun again!

24 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Seen ole Ricky Joe lit up the scoreboard week 1. Well, did he snap the ball every 12 seconds? He is a heck of an offensive mind. Glad he got a W in his Jacket Debut.

I’ll say that we went pretty fast the majority of the game. The 1st drive prolly WAS 12 seconds lol. We came out and drove it right down their throat. 1st half could’ve been better for sure, but he hit em for 40 points in the second half 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle8 said:

Seen ole Ricky Joe lit up the scoreboard week 1. Well, did he snap the ball every 12 seconds? He is a heck of an offensive mind. Glad he got a W in his Jacket Debut.

Yes sir!!  I don't think it was every 12 seconds, but it was definitely up tempo!  With his offensive mind and Irvin's defensive mind.......I think we got the best of both worlds!  We were proud he got his first-ever head coach win in the black and gold Friday.  Looking for victory #2 this week!

1 hour ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

I’ll say that we went pretty fast the majority of the game. The 1st drive prolly WAS 12 seconds lol. We came out and drove it right down their throat. 1st half could’ve been better for sure, but he hit em for 40 points in the second half 

That first drive is what I envision us being able to actually do most of the time......score FAST.  Several more were coming that half........but then the turnovers.  THAT we can fix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle8 said:

Is he passing a lot at Alto? A lot of screens/slants, mix in a deep ball here and there?

I think we had 22 pass attempts, and he did all of those things. Our Qb is new to the position so I think he is giving him some time to settle in. We also have a really good stable of backs, so we will still be a run heavy offense. The thing that I really liked was everyone played and played well, he subbed guys in a lot, even early on in the game. We are definitely more prepared and in better shape than years past.

3 minutes ago, Alto44 said:

I think we had 22 pass attempts, and he did all of those things. Our Qb is new to the position so I think he is giving him some time to settle in. We also have a really good stable of backs, so we will still be a run heavy offense. The thing that I really liked was everyone played and played well, he subbed guys in a lot, even early on in the game. We are definitely more prepared and in better shape than years past.

He is a heck of a coach. Kids will definitely be conditioned. And before the season is over, he will test it. His offense will only get faster and faster as the kids get more and more comfortable with the offense. Which is why he is subbing early now....yall are gonna have to a lot in district lol.

3 hours ago, Alto44 said:

The stable of backs is one of the most pleasant surprises for me so far. I envisioned a pretty good running game, but to be honest, I’m not sure I saw this 4 headed monster coming. 3 of the 4 are back next year. The future is very bright. To be able to do damage all game with High, Skinner, and Terry, and virtually having fresh legs the entire game will be a major problem for defenses all year. Then you pull out the big gun in the 4th quarter to put an already gassed defense to sleep!!!???? Brilliant. Much like the mid 90’s Alto teams, the backs just keep coming. 1 is an all out burner who only needs an inch to have you reading the back of his jersey. I would prolly bet money on him in a race with any other teammate lol. The other 3 are not exactly snails either. The diff with these guys is you will most likely not bring them down 1 on 1 the majority of the time. They have size and are punishing runners. Couple all that with a very fast paced, multi dimensional offense ran by QB who kinda likes contact himself, and who is getting better each week being coached by someone who played the position successfully at the D1 level, and you’ve got a recipe to make em remember why football is the 1st thing you think about when you hear the name Alto, again. And I won’t even talk about the defense lol. 38 carries for 3 yards? What’s there to talk about? I’m with you, Friday nights are going to be fun again, and really soon. 

I think Alto wins, but idk about it being a "rolling" victory like someone mentioned.  Timpson has one of the best RB's in 2a around here and some other nice pieces.  Plus Therwanger is one of the better small school coaches around.  Now, if they were sucking wind last week like some have said they may be dropping like flies Friday.  Been a lot of Timpson/Alto battles over the years and I can only think of a few that were blowouts.

• Like 1

All I can say is we will see Friday night. I personally don’t remember all of the close games 90 fly is referring to, but everyone can have their own opinion. Just remember football is about the kids, not personal feelings about coaches and past coaches. This Alto team is better prepared, more physical, and in better shape than the past. The kid from Timpson is a good back, but I invite everyone out to see Alto’s new D.