Gilmer vs Van

gilmerstar

Van @ Gilmer  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2018 at 12:30 AM

With the clock stopped with 9 seconds and Van ball on the Gilmer 2 yard line, why would you not kick a FG for the win that would be about like an extra point? The Van kicking game looked fine with one PAT blocked that wasn’t on the kicker. I don’t get it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tdsteele said:

With the clock stopped with 9 seconds and Van ball on th Gilmer 2 yard line, why would not not kick a FG for the win that would be about like an extra point? The Van kicking game looked fine with one PAT blocked that wasn’t on the kicker. I don’t get it. 

Good question...

I mean I rarely would second guess a coach but somebody on the staff had to be screaming FG down there. I have no doubt if the roles were reversed, the Gilmer staff would have kicked a FG for the win.  I mean the ball was inside the 2 and they had no probs kicking PATs before. Maybe his leg fell off on the sideline or something.  

• Like 1

Now, to the game and some observations 

1. Best thing I can say about Gilmer tonight was that they didn't give up when they got down. They never quit, they got some lucky breaks, and they squeaked out a W. 

2. However, winning can sometimes cover a whole lot of ugly. And there was a lot of ugly during this game.  Gilmer still didn't wrap up on defense which lead to a lot of extra yards. And they still often start a play lined up in the wrong position. And they still get caught up inside on running plays because they don't seal the edge (which leads to players bouncing runs outside).   And finally, they still have BIG breakdowns in the secondary. 

3. Saying all that, they are playing a lot of sophomores, and they are still learning. Almost every defensive issue can be fixed if they really bear down in practice. 

4. Gilmer also seems to go through mental lapses on offense. Their play calling gets very conservative, and they stop pushing the ball downfield. They also missed a lot of key blocks this game. Again, correctable with practice and effort. 

5. I was impressed with Hurt tonight. I know Camp didn't play because of injury, but Hurt played really well. I was also impressed with Bush.  He ran hard when he was in the game. 

6. Not sure why Van didn't try a field goal on 3rd down. I'm assuming they thought the pass play would go for a TD or incomplete. If incomplete they could try the FG on 4th down. Felt very Seattle - New England Super Bowl like.  

Great game. I'm sure both teams will find lots of faults on the film, and will have lots to correct in practice. But Both teams played great, and both teams never gave up. Gilmer just got the breaks at the right time. 

I am still horrified. I can’t imagine why there was no kick for the win. I couldn’t be a newspaper man as I would ask tough questions.  I am certain he wanted the qb to throw it away and then kick on 4th down. I just always thought a good rule is to not try and run a play with less than 10 seconds and no timeouts.  

6 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Like I said earlier someone got to get with the defensive coordinator and tell him it’s ok if you make adjustments Van literally ran 3 plays and we never made an adjustment 

I watched the Kilgore scrimmage and actually thought the D looked better. After giving up 41 and 41 I guess we about the same.