Gilmer vs Paris

gilmerstar

Gilmer should win but it will be a game for 3 quarters. Gilmer needs to get back to being Gilmer. It seems like since the 2014 team Gilmers steam has waned. I think losing Traylor has had a lot to do with that. Of course programs come and go and Gilmer has had a great run and is still relevant, but just not the same bux.

9 hours ago, RedRed said:

Gilmer should win but it will be a game for 3 quarters. Gilmer needs to get back to being Gilmer. It seems like since the 2014 team Gilmers steam has waned. I think losing Traylor has had a lot to do with that. Of course programs come and go and Gilmer has had a great run and is still relevant, but just not the same bux.

I think losing Kris Boyd, Blake Lynch, McLane Carter et al. had MORE to do with it. That team was loaded. Teams since then have basically overachieved given their talent level compared to that one. Maybe last year they didn't, thanks to your team, which also had/has loads of talent.

3 hours ago, 36gut said:

I think losing Kris Boyd, Blake Lynch, McLane Carter et al. had MORE to do with it. That team was loaded. Teams since then have basically overachieved given their talent level compared to that one. Maybe last year they didn't, thanks to your team, which also had/has loads of talent.

It's always better when Gilmer is playing at a high level.

13 hours ago, RedRed said:

Nevermind the six or seven BCS division 1 signees on that team.

57 minutes ago, RedRed said:

It's not just that team though. Prior to that team Gilmer was always really good. 

The Gilmer team prior to that one in 2013 went out in the third round, same as last year, to another team in your area, Argyle.

But, you're right, that team was really good. It just drew the eventual state champion in an early round, same as a really good Gladewater team did when they drew us in 2014.

The Buckeyes are still really good compared to most. I think the only thing that's getting noticeably worse (or, at least, no better) year in and year out is the defense.

There's a theory that this is because of rules changes favoring the offense over the years. Others are saying it's the scheme. I don't claim to know.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 36gut said:

The Gilmer team prior to that one in 2013 went out in the third round, same as last year, to another team in your area, Argyle.

But, you're right, that team was really good. It just drew the eventual state champion in an early round, same as a really good Gladewater team did when they drew us in 2014.

The Buckeyes are still really good compared to most. I think the only thing that's getting noticeably worse (or, at least, no better) year in and year out is the defense.

There's a theory that this is because of rules changes favoring the offense over the years. Others are saying it's the scheme. I don't claim to know.

Yes it’s the scheme, we refuse to adjust to what the other team is doing. Seems like the defensive coordinator just think we can line up in our base defense and stop anything the other team is running and that’s not the case. I hate to say it but his job needs to be on the line but it will never happen because we don’t have anyone that’s gonna hold him accountable 

Paris defense could keep it close, but this game doesn't set up well for the Cats.  Looks to me like you've got to outscore Gilmer to beat them.  I believe Buckeyes were held under 40 points in each of their 5 losses over the past 30 games.  Paris, by contrast, has scored 40 or more just 5 times the past two full seasons (against some pretty dreadful defenses).  To say that the Cats are offensively challenged would be an understatement.

19 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Yes it’s the scheme, we refuse to adjust to what the other team is doing. Seems like the defensive coordinator just think we can line up in our base defense and stop anything the other team is running and that’s not the case. I hate to say it but his job needs to be on the line but it will never happen because we don’t have anyone that’s gonna hold him accountable 

Yes it is amazing how many people in the last 5 years come to see gilmer play who are not from gilmer and leave saying its a shame you dont have a defense or you would win state every year. but thats gilmer they are defense blind.

• Like 1

Gilmer is running the same defense they ran when Traylor was here.  And the defensive coaches have clearly watched game film, because you can hear them in the press box identifying plays before they occur, and yelling in their mikes to try to get the kids in the right place.  They are making in game adjustments.

I think the key difference is in practice.  There is a difference between teaching a kid where he should line up and how he should respond when he sees player X do Action O, and in drilling it into them until it is 2nd nature.  Traylor was crazy intense, and that intensity didn't just show up on Friday nights.  It was there all week in practice.  

Of course, we Gilmer fans are complaining about a team that has gone to the playoffs every year and been to the semifinals two of those years.  I'm sure a lot of programs in the ET area would like to have such complaints.

• Like 1

The greater the success the higher the expectations. State Championships are the measuring stick in Gilmer, and anything less than that is a failure in some peoples eyes.

With that being said, I don't think the current Coaching Staff has the dynamic personality that the Traylor's have. The Traylor trademark was intensity and effort and because of this they were always able to get kids to play above their talent level. He was also able to attract some very talented players to relocate to Gilmer, Texas, this always helps.

Because the Traylor's are gone, Gilmer is back to being a very good high school football program, but they are no longer the ELITE program they were.

As for Friday night, Gilmer should beat Paris, but it will be close for a long time.

33 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Gilmer is running the same defense they ran when Traylor was here.  And the defensive coaches have clearly watched game film, because you can hear them in the press box identifying plays before they occur, and yelling in their mikes to try to get the kids in the right place.  They are making in game adjustments.

I think the key difference is in practice.  There is a difference between teaching a kid where he should line up and how he should respond when he sees player X do Action O, and in drilling it into them until it is 2nd nature.  Traylor was crazy intense, and that intensity didn't just show up on Friday nights.  It was there all week in practice.  

Of course, we Gilmer fans are complaining about a team that has gone to the playoffs every year and been to the semifinals two of those years.  I'm sure a lot of programs in the ET area would like to have such complaints.

I saw the defense problem when traylor was here except the 2004 year, I just wished we could shut down a offense and not have to outscore them. say what you want but we do not have the defense that we should have. the name of the game is out score no matter how high you have to go. A great offense will win games but when you finally hit that team with lights out defense and you dont have one you are doomed. Game over.