Gilmer vs Paris

gilmerstar

Can't say it was an enjoyable game to watch with all the penalties.  Gilmer's soph QB was impressive in the 2nd half, but Buckeyes have a ways to go to catch up with PG.  I was surprised how easily Paris gutted the Gilmer defense early with their speedy backs, but the Cats have got to develop a hint of a passing threat to hang with the likes of Melissa and Celina (I deliberately don't put Argyle in that same conversation -- Eagles are in a league of their own).

Still, anytime you can register a W against an established program like Gilmer has got to generate some optimism.

Besides the first two tds in the first qtr the defense played very well but the offense let us down this game. Also how does a Paris coach shove a kid and not get thrown out just baffles me and also we recover a fumble and the one ref gives it to us and they said gilmer ball then change the call 🤷🏾‍♂️

Congrats to Paris for the win. A couple of observations. 

1. Credit Gilmer for never giving up.  They got behind by 20, but continued to fight back. They didn't come all the way back for the w, but the kids played hard all night. 

2. Also can't fault the defense for this one.  Fell behind 14-0 in first quarter, but that was largely because offense went nowhere and was totally predictable. Paris 1st 2 possessions were from inside Gilmer territory.  Yes, Gilmer is still succeptible to giving up the big play. But Gilmer defense was in Paris backfield almost all of the 2nd half. 

3. Gilmer was down 2 running backs in 2nd half also. Montgomery didn't play at all, and Webb was out 2nd half. Webb didn't look himself last week or this week.  Like he had lost a step or couldn't cut as easily. I know he had knee surgery. If he's not 100%, I'd hold him out until he is. He is really Gilmer's only home run threat and need to be ready for district. 

4. Weather affected Gilmer, but can't make excuses. Lots of dropped passes, but that can't be all put on wet conditions. 

5. Hurt is the real deal. He got smashed on a late hit out of bounds, and popped up pumping his fists. I think it's a matter of time before he's a leader on the team, even as a sophomore. 

6. As for the officiating. Well it was awful. Failed to give an automatic first down on a defensive holding,. Overturned a fumble that Gilmer recovered (still don't know why). But the worst thing was the personal fouls. The refs let the game get out of hand. They needed to expel a player, sit both teams down, call both coaches out, or something. They didn't.  And they lost control of the game for stretches. 

7. Gilmer play calling on offense is very conservative. They don't push the ball down the field, which leads defenses to load the box. It was half time before they began to open up.  

Gilmer has a saying:. Do it right or do it again. They need to preach that.  That would correct all the false starts, the missed assignments on defense, and many of the dropped passes. 

Again, the kids played their hearts out and never quit.  Proud of them for that. 

First of all this is the first year without any kids on the team that’s been under the leadership of Traylor. I seen this coming for a while. Everyone said oh it’s not Traylor.  Wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Think again!!!!!! This program now is a joke! There isn’t much talent this year on the team as normal but Traylor could have gotten more out of this squad than Turner has. Next year will be better and the year after will be really good but Turner needs to retire. Gilmer will now lose 3 in a row. When’s the last time Gilmer has lost three games in a row? Carthage will beat them so will Newton Carthage will mop the floor up with them if they want to. The kids are giving it all they have but until they get another program they will continue to go down

8 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

First of all this is the first year without any kids on the team that’s been under the leadership of Traylor. I seen this coming for a while. Everyone said oh it’s not Traylor.  Wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Think again!!!!!! This program now is a joke! There isn’t much talent this year on the team as normal but Traylor could have gotten more out of this squad than Turner has. Next year will be better and the year after will be really good but Turner needs to retire. Gilmer will now lose 3 in a row. When’s the last time Gilmer has lost three games in a row? Carthage will beat them so will Newton Carthage will mop the floor up with them if they want to. The kids are giving it all they have but until they get another program they will continue to go down

Turner was there when Coach Traylor was there. He’s a good coach, and knows the system, which I think he helped install? So I think that is the reason they hired him from within. He’s a great Christian man, but not necessarily a “leader”. He needs to be more vocal, in your face type. Seems he just accepts the play on the field and moves on. Too relaxed for what this program is used to. Hurt needs to be the starting QB, period. Looks like the Bucks will limp into district @3-3.

48 minutes ago, Parisian said:

I, too, was puzzled by the lack of an automatic first down on the defensive hold, but I read that it could be because there was no pass thrown or the completion was behind the line of scrimmage.  I don't remember if either was the case last night.

The pass was down field it was a lot of stuff that I didn’t understand 

4 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Turner was there when Coach Traylor was there. He’s a good coach, and knows the system, which I think he helped install? So I think that is the reason they hired him from within. He’s a great Christian man, but not necessarily a “leader”. He needs to be more vocal, in your face type. Seems he just accepts the play on the field and moves on. Too relaxed for what this program is used to. Hurt needs to be the starting QB, period. Looks like the Bucks will limp into district @3-3.

I totally agree 

7 minutes ago, flukeshot said:

I have a couple suggestions for whoever is working the PA for Paris.

1) Don't ever have the mic on except when you're speaking. You're not ready to speak? Don't turn it on.

2) If the ref is mic'ed up himself, I don't see any reason for you to repeat what he just announced.

Last night PA was a fill-in who, as far as I remember, had never done a football PA.  The regular PA had a death in the family.

Worst refs I have seen. Even worse than Van last week.

Terrible.

I see what Pleasant Grove meant when their fans said Paris was a dirty team. Terrible team and coaches. Dirtiest team we have played since Rains. Paris coaches should be ashamed of themselves for promoting the dirty play of their team. Wish we didn't have to play this dirty team next year.