Week Five: Longview at Rockwall

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-0) vs Rockwall Yellowjackets (2-1)  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Rockwall in a close one
    • Rockwall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/29/2018 at 12:30 AM

5 hours ago, AKA said:

Who are some of the best defenses in 6A right now, and what are the scores to their games? What about the quality of their opponents? What kinda schemes are being used in 6A to shut other teams down?

I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone at this level is playing "shutdown" defense anymore. It's just not possible unless you have a handful of very physically talented athletes who almost disrupt offenses themselves. 

IMO best defense in 6A right now is Galena Park North Shore

Week 1 beat Katy 35-21

Week 2 beat Ridge Point 44-0

Week 3 beat Spring Westfield 35-3

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ANTI said:

And they're out of the 4-3 scheme.

Nice of Matt to show the scores instead of yardage because at the end of the day, they don't put yardage on scoreboards.

Yardage

vs Katy 317 yds allowed

vs Ridge Point 88 yds allowed

vs Spring Westfield 156 yds allowed

35 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Yardage

vs Katy 317 yds allowed

vs Ridge Point 88 yds allowed

vs Spring Westfield 156 yds allowed

The beauty of the 4-3. If you have the horses to run it, probably the best defensive scheme out there. 3-4 right behind it.

Longview, SLC and Westlake the only AP top 10 teams running 4-2-5 base defense. 

Allen = 4-3

LT = 3-4 

North Shore = 4-3

Cy Fair = 3-4

Judson = 3-4

Duncanville = 4-3/multiple 

SLC = 4-2-5

Katy = 3-4

Westlake = 4-2-5

1 hour ago, TheFootballFan said:

Yawn.... if you have the players you will do well.... 3-4 or 4-3 it comes down to players in the end..... right now Longview doesn’t have that on D..... just been lacking there for years 

Ok, I'll play along...  what would you recommend we do to "get" the players? 

I watched some film of Galena Park, and I gotta say...  I'm not sure we have a single player who'd start for their defense. They have some really big and talented boys.

But I guess that's no surprise, being in such close proximity to major city like Houston, I'm sure they (like Katy) have a massive pool of players to draw from. 

Not an option for us. 

2 hours ago, TheFootballFan said:

Yawn.... if you have the players you will do well.... 3-4 or 4-3 it comes down to players in the end..... right now Longview doesn’t have that on D..... just been lacking there for years 

Longview’s offense has been pretty good though...

You're crazy if you don't think scheme matters.

Oh I’m not saying there are any.... towns that like Longview that have 4 high schools the players are divided up... just really not enough.... so thTs why  nobteam in this town in any sport usually has any legit shot at championships.... this year is truly due to Haynes king Being qb.... if he isn’t qb this team goes nowhere!!! We all know that..... one team towns or larger metro plex schools have more athletes usually! 

Scheme does matter to a point...

But a team with better players and scheme will be beat u.... Coach king does get the most out of what he has for sure! Longview does not have better athletes then most 6 a schools... thAts green goggle homer thinking ! But King runs a good scheme and they are tougher then most teams I’d say.

You can run Buddy ryan’s 46 defense but if you don’t have better players than the teams offense you will most of the times lose....

This Friday you can scheme all you want.... will be hard to keep them from not getting 40+

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

D line needs to hit somebody in the mouth and linebackers need to read the keys in front of them and attack like there ain't no tomorrow,put that qb on his horse all night and keep him there...blitz when unexpected and mix it up some.give the offense a gift or two with a couple takeaways..js

A few problems with that... 

Rockwall's QB is above-average at reading the blitz and checking down to his primary receiver, a speed merchant who's excellent at quick hit catch-and-run plays. The offensive line is good-sized and does a superb job of giving their guy adequate time to throw--but even if they don't, the QB is 6-5 200+ and has wheels. He will move around in the pocket to buy time, or bust a run if the defense tries to sit back. 

Just "hittin' 'em in the mouth" ain't enough, Chain. They all hit at this level.