Week Five: Longview at Rockwall

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-0) vs Rockwall Yellowjackets (2-1)  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Rockwall in a close one
    • Rockwall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/29/2018 at 12:30 AM

Anyway, to answer @QuickĀ question in short.. the defensive coaching certainly does get under my skin at times but I also like them at times.

BUT I think the main reason why you all won't see an absolute shutdown performance by the D, and will see a bend don't break is simply the scheme.Ā 

It's so easy for those spread teams (especially the good ones) to decipher a 4-2-5 pre-snap... it has no choice but to bend. And I HATE it when we decide to rush one of the LB's off the edge without disguising it because all a good spread OC is going to do is tell his QB to switch the play to a run up the middle.... and RB willĀ get 10 yards every time. Can't have just 1 LB in the middle and expect to stop the run. That's relying too much on interior dline to stop the run but that's a tall task when they're already out numbered.Ā 

All boils down to the times we are in honestly. The spreadĀ is easy to teach but hard to defend. Can't shut it down and the only team that I remember in recent memory absolutely shutting down the spread was Katy in 2015 when they beat LT, 3-4 scheme. LT put it to The Woodlands in 2016, also 3-4.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Quick said:

Who in the HELL is picking this game in a Longview blowout!!!??? Man, I'll tell ya................

Only two or three ofĀ the "blowout" voters are Lobo fans/alums, as far as I can tell...Ā  the rest are outsiders, who probably haven't seen any of this year's games.Ā 

I can appreciate their enthusiasm, but I don't know of anyone close to this program expecting a blowout.

It's going to be a competitive game. I hope the Lobos play intense and physical for four full quarters. That's the only way they will win.Ā 

• Like 1

Just now, Hlion said:

Serious question could this be for the District Championship or will there be another contender? I don't know much about the District but knew Rockwall was pretty sound.

Obviously anything can happen in any given game...Ā  but yes, Rockwall and Longview are the two teams expected to compete for the district title.

Yes, the winner of this game would have the "inside track" but, again, there's is nothing guaranteed.Ā 

45 minutes ago, Hlion said:

Serious question could this be for the District Championship or will there be another contender? I don't know much about the District but knew Rockwall was pretty sound.

2 months ago I would've definitely added Horn to the conversation.

Regardless of how tough their schedule was, they are not what I thought they'd be. Still a playoff team for sure but yes, Longview-Rockwall appears to be for district title.

13 minutes ago, ANTI said:

2 months ago I would've definitely added Horn to the conversation.

Regardless of how tough their schedule was, they are not what I thought they'd be. Still a playoff team for sure but yes, Longview-Rockwall appears to be for district title.

And potentially top spot in D2 if Horn falls completely off the map. Which doubt it would happen but still. Potential is there.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

And potentially top spot in D2 if Horn falls completely off the map. Which doubt it would happen but still. Potential is there.

I want John King to completely annihilate Mesquite Horn this year. Besides the poster on 6A, they have an unruly and arrogant fanbase. They go out of their way to taunt us and Mesquite High doneĀ the same thing a few years ago but, fortunately the refs flagged their butts extensively for their on-the-field antics. I am talking about, I want John King to hit Mesquite Horn with a 70 piece this upcoming meeting between us.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Quick said:

I want John King to completely annihilate Mesquite Horn this year. Besides the poster on 6A, they have an unruly and arrogant fanbase. They go out of their way to taunt us and Mesquite High doneĀ the same thing a few years ago but, fortunately the refs flagged their butts extensively for their on-the-field antics. I am talking about, I want John King to hit Mesquite Horn with a 70 piece this upcoming meeting between us.

Would love for it to happen, just to make a statement (more so how they were making a statement last year by going for it on the goal line up 18 in the final minute). But doubt it'll happen.

I have to admit, I'm more nervous about this one than any game so far. Rockwall's offense is explosive. This will be the best offense we play, by far. We are really going to have to limit turnovers while creating a few of our own.Ā 

Ā 

I've got the Lobos in a close, high scoring contest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I have to admit, I'm more nervous about this one than any game so far. Rockwall's offense is explosive. This will be the best offense we play, by far. We are really going to have to limit turnovers while creating a few of our own.Ā 

Ā 

I've got the Lobos in a close, high scoring contest.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see to long, methodical scoring drives that run out the clock and give our defense plenty of rest.Ā 

Speaking as a Sooner alum, I can't express how demoralizing it was to see Army plod up and down the field, first down after first down, milking the clock, while our offense stood helpless on the sideline.Ā 

Obviously I would prefer the defense just shut Rockwall down...Ā  but barring that, I would like to see ourĀ offense control the clock and the momentum.

Keilyn outside, Jessie inside, Haynes play-action quick pass to Kamden, Keilyn inside, Jessie outside, Haynes play-action keeper, etc. Just keep matriculating the ball down the field, boys!Ā 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 9:40 AM, TheFootballFan said:

Oh Iā€™m notĀ saying there are any.... towns that like Longview that have 4 high schools the players are divided up... just really not enough.... so thTs why Ā nobteam in this town in any sport usually has any legit shot at championships.... this year is truly due to Haynes king Being qb.... if he isnā€™t qb this team goes nowhere!!! We all know that..... one team towns or larger metro plex schools have more athletes usually!Ā 

Scheme does matter to a point...

But a team with better players and scheme will be beat u.... Coach king does get the most out of what he has for sure! Longview does not have better athletes then most 6 a schools... thAts green goggle homer thinking ! But King runs a good scheme and they are tougher then most teams Iā€™d say.

You can run Buddy ryanā€™s 46 defense but if you donā€™t have better players than the teams offense you will most of the times lose....

This Friday you can scheme all you want.... will be hard to keep them from not getting 40+

honestly, nobody is running a true 4-3 or 3-4 anymore.Ā  It may appear to be that, but this is high school and many high school linebackers are safeties and sometimes corners in college.Ā  Almost everybody is running some sort of spread offense with 4 receivers. you ain't defending that without an extra DB in the game...so in reality almost everyone has 5 db's on the field almostĀ all time. Kid may be listed at lb, but in reality he just an additional db that is good enough to play the runĀ and cover.Ā Ā