Newton vs Gilmer

Eagles97

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’d like to see Newton challenge Carthage just to see it. Newton boys would come out in the first half with their hair on fire. 

I think as the teams settled into the game the cream would quickly rise to the top.

Had a similar scenario down here Friday.  WOS (who’s not quite the team of the past few years) played undefeated 5AD2 Crosby.  WOS jumped out to a 14-0 lead, but Crosby wore them down with a 35-24 victory.  Newton is a powerhouse, especially in their classification, but I can’t see them beating Carthage.  As you said, they’d give’em hail for a while, but Dawgs win easy at the end.

On topic, Gilmer is in for a hiney whippin’ Friday.  Say, Newton 49-14.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tatorhead said:

Gilmer hasn’t been hungry since Turner took over.   In less than four years he has taken a powerhouse and reduced it to not even mediocre.  He along with most of the coaching staff need to go.  

That’s right and if Traylor has been in Gilmer in 15 and 16 they would have went to state then. Like I said before last year was the last class that Traylor had anything to do with. The only reason they went as far as they did was because they had been coached up through the years under Traylors coaching. This year Traylor has nothing to do with any past coaching of the players. It truly shows. You definitely see the spiral downhill fall. Gilmers not Gilmer anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

Had a similar scenario down here Friday.  WOS (who’s not quite the team of the past few years) played undefeated 5AD2 Crosby.  WOS jumped out to a 10-0 lead, 17-7 at the half, but Crosby wore them down with 28 unanswered pts and a garbage TD by WOS afterwards leading to a 35-24 victory.  Newton is a powerhouse, especially in their classification, but I can’t see them beating Carthage.  As you said, they’d give’em hail for a while, but Dawgs win easy at the end.

On topic, Gilmer is in for a hiney whippin’ Friday.  Say, Newton 49-14.

FIFY 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

That’s right and if Traylor has been in Gilmer in 15 and 16 they would have went to state then. Like I said before last year was the last class that Traylor had anything to do with. The only reason they went as far as they did was because they had been coached up through the years under Traylors coaching. This year Traylor has nothing to do with any past coaching of the players. It truly shows. You definitely see the spiral downhill fall. Gilmers not Gilmer anymore. 

When Gilmer was receiving kickoffs Friday night, it looked like they had one guy that weighed around 180, the other 10 under 160........in years past, they didn’t have that small of a team on the field......and on offense/defense they are not tiny, but don’t look like Gilmer teams of recent past......not sure if that is coach related(athletes walking the halls not playing football and/or weight lifting) or lack of bigger athletes in Gilmer in 2018

7 hours ago, JETT said:

Newton is a helluva team but that may be stretching it.... after the whoopin gilmer took last week I'm pretty sure you will see a different team this week.... JMHO

I'm going with you on this one Jett. Can't see them folding their tent yet.  I'm sure they're thinkin this is a good gm for them to get back on track

3 minutes ago, wingtveer said:

I'm going with you on this one Jett. Can't see them folding their tent yet.  I'm sure they're thinkin this is a good gm for them to get back on track

I hope they do get back on track, but I’m not sure Newton is the team to do it with.  Maybe schedule Huntington next year?  I really feel sorry for the kids there.  No sense in what they go through.

7 minutes ago, armchair said:

I do know that the purple side contacted the red side and for whatever reason the red side couldn’t, wouldn’t or shouldn’t play them. 

Already answered this question before.  Even though the matchup looks good at the varsity level for 2018, it would not be competitive over time.  1.) Carthage prefers to schedule teams to home & home series to follow with UIL redistricting.  2019 would have been a slaughter.  2.). Carthage has JV, 9th, 8th A & B and 7th A & B teams.  No way Newton fields this many teams.  Surratt plays for the future as much as for today.  Getting quality games for all sub varsity teams is of utmost importance.  3.)  It is 110 miles from Carthage to Newton with some stretches of narrow 2 lane highways.  Why go that far for a one year deal when we can schedule closer to home with easier travel, especially on Thursday night, for 2 years?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

I have heard alot of excuses from teams not wanting to play other teams but long stretches of two lane roads is a first. Lol

Would you be so kind as to favor us with your Vast knowledge of the aforementioned excuses??? We’ll wait.(Insert Jeopardy theme song here...)🤔

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

DawgNation2015 already gave the real reasons for the matchup not to work now days. The sub varsity situation doesn’t work well for Carthage. 

It is a long trip, but Gilmer is driving way farther than Carthage would be to visit Newton. 

Varsity yes.  Subvarsity no.  See attached schedule from Gilmer ISD website.  This is the biggest reason why Carthage said no.

B1040C33-517D-471A-8970-50900A53483A.png

27 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

I have heard alot of excuses from teams not wanting to play other teams but long stretches of two lane roads is a first. Lol

It’s really not an excuse.  Why drive that far  when you don’t have too?  Especially in Thurs nights.  Plenty of competitive teams in northeast TX with full subvarsity teams.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

It’s really not an excuse.  Why drive that far  when you don’t have too?  Especially in Thurs nights.  Plenty of competitive teams in northeast TX with full subvarsity teams.  

Calm down, I was not just referring to the Carthage vs Newton excuses.  I know they are not scared to line up vs Newton.  Your sub varsity argument makes good sense.  I was just merely saying I've never heard that one.  

2 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

Calm down, I was not just referring to the Carthage vs Newton excuses.  I know they are not scared to line up vs Newton.  Your sub varsity argument makes good sense.  I was just merely saying I've never heard that one.  

*Replace the word,”Excuse” with “Rationale” & we’re good...!😜👌