Jump to content

Newton vs Gilmer


Eagles97
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, 5thdown said:

well if the Newton/Carthage game did happen, at least we know the small 3a hillbilly Newton crowd would not collapse the Carthage stands.

No but Newton might collapse them dogs on the field..what tribe are you from. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 75633 said:

I know this has been said already, but as I’m reading through this, I can’t help but feel like I understand now how the Lobos might feel about us! I’m all for a good football team and having confidence in yourselves, but there’s a little thing called reality. Like it or not, we all have to live in it! Not holding the entirety of Newton in a bad light because of a couple of misguided posters, but come on!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Think Newton will roll- and rightly so. But this thread is sure making me wish Gilmer could get it together! For this game, at least!

Now you know. Longview paid us off to annoy y'all! 

Good luck to both teams!

  • LOL! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newton has 598 passing 947 rushing in 3 games. Averaging 49 points per game on offense. 

Defense is allowing 7 points per game. 

Gilmer has 948 passing 577 rushing in 4 games. Averaging 31 points per game on offense.

Defense is allowing 44 points per game. 

 

I am looking forward to this Gilmer offense averaging 35 pass plays per game and 30 rushing plays per game. Newton is averaging around 14 pass plays per game and 31 rushing plays per game. Should be fun to watch! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NewtonNation said:

Newton has 598 passing 947 rushing in 3 games. Averaging 49 points per game on offense. 

Defense is allowing 7 points per game. 

Gilmer has 948 passing 577 rushing in 4 games. Averaging 31 points per game on offense.

Defense is allowing 44 points per game. 

 

I am looking forward to this Gilmer offense averaging 35 pass plays per game and 30 rushing plays per game. Newton is averaging around 14 pass plays per game and 31 rushing plays per game. Should be fun to watch! 

Be sure to post as much info as you can, please; Inquiring minds will want to know!😏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, DawgNation2015 said:

Already answered this question before.  Even though the matchup looks good at the varsity level for 2018, it would not be competitive over time.  1.) Carthage prefers to schedule teams to home & home series to follow with UIL redistricting.  2019 would have been a slaughter.  2.). Carthage has JV, 9th, 8th A & B and 7th A & B teams.  No way Newton fields this many teams.  Surratt plays for the future as much as for today.  Getting quality games for all sub varsity teams is of utmost importance.  3.)  It is 110 miles from Carthage to Newton with some stretches of narrow 2 lane highways.  Why go that far for a one year deal when we can schedule closer to home with easier travel, especially on Thursday night, for 2 years?

That was not a question. Just a statement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect a heck of a game. Gilmer is rich in tradition and a proud  team that wants there swagger back. they will come out with attitude and a determination to set  things right . to beat Newton would be a start. If Newton shows up ready to play four Quarters, we should win. We will have to wait and see. I have seen teams have all the breaks and beat quality teams really bad ,ready for the game to begin !!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jimmyw said:

I expect a heck of a game. Gilmer is rich in tradition and a proud  team that wants there swagger back. they will come out with attitude and a determination to set  things right . to beat Newton would be a start. If Newton shows up ready to play four Quarters, we should win. We will have to wait and see. I have seen teams have all the breaks and beat quality teams really bad ,ready for the game to begin !!!!

 

A humble fan, I respect you sir...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

Gilmer would normally win.......check

Carthage is the best and superior to all other programs...................check.

83 Daingerfield Is best team ever...check

Looks like the necessary points have been meet to classify this as an official Newton thread.  

  

 

"Gilmer would normally win......" - Up until the last 3 years?  Likely.

"Carthage is the best and superior to all other programs...................."  They are the best program in 4A, if not the best in all classifications, proven by 6 state championships in the last decade under Scott Surratt.

"83 Daingerfield Is best team ever..."  You'd have to have seen them to understand.  631 points scored (in that era) and giving up only 8 points through 16 games, 14 out of 16 games were shutouts including 13 in a row to finish the season, opponents averaging less than a foot per offensive play?  Yes?  I'm of the opinion that if that defense would've known that they would set records for shutouts, they would've shut out the other two opponents.  They would've found a way.  They were that good.

None of this has anything to do with Newton, and the Eagles will likely put a whooping on a "down" Gilmer team.  It is what it is, and unless we regain the fire in our belly, we're likely to see a couple more in district.  I just hope we can give y'all a decent game.  Nothing would make me happier than to see our team play much better after being embarrassed last week.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree, good luck to both.  It's just been fun talking it up.  Gilmer has earned its respect and even though I think its Newtons to lose I would never count Gilmer out.  They have the athletes and tradition to turn it on any week.  Just ready to enjoy this one, either way. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

"Gilmer would normally win......" - Up until the last 3 years?  Likely.

"Carthage is the best and superior to all other programs...................."  They are the best program in 4A, if not the best in all classifications, proven by 6 state championships in the last decade under Scott Surratt.

"83 Daingerfield Is best team ever..."  You'd have to have seen them to understand.  631 points scored (in that era) and giving up only 8 points through 16 games, 14 out of 16 games were shutouts including 13 in a row to finish the season, opponents averaging less than a foot per offensive play?  Yes?  I'm of the opinion that if that defense would've known that they would set records for shutouts, they would've shut out the other two opponents.  They would've found a way.  They were that good.

None of this has anything to do with Newton, and the Eagles will likely put a whooping on a "down" Gilmer team.  It is what it is, and unless we regain the fire in our belly, we're likely to see a couple more in district.  I just hope we can give y'all a decent game.  Nothing would make me happier than to see our team play much better after being embarrassed last week.

2 of the 8 were from a safety. So technically the defense only gave up 6. If I remember correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

2 of the 8 were from a safety. So technically the defense only gave up 6. If I remember correctly.

And you would be right.  The safety was against the punting team in the opener against Kilgore.  The TD given up was against Carthage in the 3rd game.  A 14-0 victory over Gilmer was sandwiched in between those two games.  Not another team even sniffed the endzone the rest of the season, except once when the Tigers fumbled inside their own 10 (?).  Even then the defense gave up nothing.  I think that team tried a field goal on 4th down, only to be blocked.  It would've been a big deal just to have scored.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

And you would be right.  The safety was against the punting team in the opener against Kilgore.  The TD given up was against Carthage in the 3rd game.  A 14-0 victory over Gilmer was sandwiched in between those two games.  Not another team even sniffed the endzone the rest of the season, except once when the Tigers fumbled inside their own 10 (?).  Even then the defense gave up nothing.  I think that team tried a field goal on 4th down, only to be blocked.  It would've been a big deal just to have scored.

L-K drove into field goal territory when I think the score was 28-0...…..That was fairly early in the season(thinking the 4th game)…………L-K coach didn't try a FG -----was no need, being behind 28 points

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...