Newton vs Gilmer

Eagles97

Okay, about this game.

Newton will probably win.  I'm hoping not.  I'm hoping Gilmer plays with fire and intensity that has been missing for quite some time.  But Newton is defending champs in 3A with everybody back, and it doesn't look like Gilmer has a chance.

However, the score, regardless of what it is, cannot be a referendum for a comparison between Newton and Carthage.  Period.

I understand completely why Carthage doesn't want to play Newton.  Gilmer has to reschedule all subvarsity games this week.   

As for Gilmer, district is still ahead, and hopefully, they'll be ready to play by then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cotton84 said:

When Gilmer was receiving kickoffs Friday night, it looked like they had one guy that weighed around 180, the other 10 under 160........in years past, they didn’t have that small of a team on the field......and on offense/defense they are not tiny, but don’t look like Gilmer teams of recent past......not sure if that is coach related(athletes walking the halls not playing football and/or weight lifting) or lack of bigger athletes in Gilmer in 2018

Well Gilmer usually has a few studs on the team but overall they’re usually smaller than they’re opponents. Smaller but stronger due to lifting in the weight room. Since Turner took over the weight room has lots of dust in it. Gilmers past smaller guys have all been in such great physical condition that they would just end up wearing down the bigger teams. Traylors brother Kurt who left was the o line coach and one of the best ever. He would always have the o line in tip top shape and would get the best out of every kid. Now the line looks like they couldn’t hold of the Girl Scouts. The two a days and practice after school are very weak and short now. Traylor would have more and longer practices. There is no discipline now either. Out of all of the Gilmer coaches you see on the field which is several. Well they’re are only four I believe that we’re on Traylors staff. These are all Turners new boys. Over the last few years kids also have moved away or simply quit football because of the new program. That’s why Gilmer is no longer Gilmer. Traylor and his staff could get over 💯 percent out of everyone on the team and Turner and his staff can get maybe half that sometimes. 

Good grief!  Newton would beat Carthage?  Bwahahaha!  Nope.

I said this game would likely be ugly, but I was hoping we would've at least showed a spark.  We didn't even show a spark.  You can't do that and expect to compete with teams like Carthage.  They are the two-time defending 4A-D1 state champions for a reason, and haven't lost much from the dominate team of last year.  They just reloaded, and the only team I can see competing with them in 4A right now is Argyle.  I think the winner of that game wins it all.

Newton will likely take us to the woodshed, too.  Any other year it would be the other way around, in my opinion, just not this year.

And, unless we make some wholesale changes in our coaching staff, we will continue to be mediocre at best.  We need a leader at the top, and a new defensive coordinator.  I've been saying for years that our defense, or lack thereof, is the only thing that has kept us from winning more championships.  In order for us to win consistently, we have to have at least a handful of D1 talent because we certainly haven't been able to rely on our defense.  That glaring weakness has been exploited for years.  This year our offense is not clicking, and that is likely because we lost another good coach in Kurt Traylor.  Our offensive line just hasn't played well, and that has put way too much pressure on our QB to make plays.

It is what it is.  Fire away.

By the way, I was actually embarrassed the other night.  I knew we would get beat, but I haven't seen a beatdown against us like that since the '70s.  Our team can either lay down, or pull it together.  That is up to them.  Are they going to be satisfied with their effort, or are they gonna put in the work that it will take to get back to competing?  We'll see.

14 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I said this game would likely be ugly, but I was hoping we would've at least showed a spark.  We didn't even show a spark.  You can't do that and expect to compete with teams like Carthage.  They are the two-time defending 4A-D1 state champions for a reason, and haven't lost much from the dominate team of last year.  They just reloaded, and the only team I can see competing with them in 4A right now is Argyle.  I think the winner of that game wins it all.

Newton will likely take us to the woodshed, too.  Any other year it would be the other way around, in my opinion, just not this year.

And, unless we make some wholesale changes in our coaching staff, we will continue to be mediocre at best.  We need a leader at the top, and a new defensive coordinator.  I've been saying for years that our defense, or lack thereof, is the only thing that has kept us from winning more championships.  In order for us to win consistently, we have to have at least a handful of D1 talent because we certainly haven't been able to rely on our defense.  That glaring weakness has been exploited for years.  This year our offense is not clicking, and that is likely because we lost another good coach in Kurt Traylor.  Our offensive line just hasn't played well, and that has put way too much pressure on our QB to make plays.

By the way, I was actually embarrassed the other night.  I knew we would get beat, but I haven't seen a beatdown against us like that since the '70s.  Our team can either lay down, or pull it together.  That is up to them.  Are they going to be satisfied with their effort, or are they gonna put in the work that it will take to get back to competing?  We'll see.

Early 90's was close to that bad...……….I remember an L-K running back rushing for 221 yards against Gilmer ---------- in the 1st quarter...…….tru storie

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

Im not even from gilmer but I been saying when traylor left give it about 3 or 4 years

and they will be an average team traylor was a smart man that new how to get studs

into gilmer,he was good

17 minutes ago, mightyeagle said:

Im not even from gilmer but I been saying when traylor left give it about 3 or 4 years

and they will be an average team traylor was a smart man that new how to get studs

into gilmer,he was good

It wasn't just Traylor, but yes, he was the one that held all the other coaches and players accountable.  That's one of the things that is lacking now.  That, and his fiery demeanor.

I think it's time to blow this staff up and install new leadership.  We still have at least 3 or 4 really good coaches who I'd like to see stay, but we need a leader at the top, and a new defensive coordinator, in my opinion.  We will have to pay up for it, though.

Some posters insinuating Carthage is scared to play Newton is hilarious. Carthage has nothing to gain by playing Newton. Yea it might be competitive this year, but what about years after that. Not sure Newton would beat Carthage if they played 10 times. DN15 has already provided facts why it’s not in Carthage’s interest to play Newton. 

So I guess this is how Longview fans feel when some Carthage and other posters talk about Carthage playing/beating Longview. 

Newton has come up to NE Texas a couple times over the years to play bigger teams. Best I can tell they are 1-5. 1-1 against Tatum, 0-2 against Hendo, and 0-2 against Carthage (before Surratt).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CACTUS1 said:

JJ what you say ....You decide come on a winning team topic lol.. Them Arp not giving much talk about. Not hearing much from Gilmer fans. More Carthage fans talking . 

I'm getting on board with yall this year....can't beat em...join em...lolol...

• Like 1

Just now, rykerx144 said:

Newton fans, do not bring up any version on Newton beating or playing Carthage on this site.  You are wasting your time. 

Why Newton is Better than Carthage anyways....they know it...I know it hell everyone knows it...They can pretend all they want but it's true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 2

17 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Hahaha. Let’s talk Friday night. Might be a good discussion. But if this game with Gilmer is close, the conversation is over. Y’all only beat a 1-3 WOS team 21-7 right?

In a pond lol some don't have the pleasure of having in door practice facility and big turf fields we play football in the mud

14 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

Newton fans, do not bring up any version on Newton beating or playing Carthage on this site.  You are wasting your time. 

There is no version where Newton beats Carthage. This year would be their best chance, and it still wouldn’t happen. Imagine how bad the score would be next year after Newton loses all their studs, and Carthage returns 70% of their team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

There is no version where Newton beats Carthage. This year would be their best chance, and it still wouldn’t happen. Imagine how bad the score would be next year after Newton loses all their studs, and Carthage returns 70% of their team.

Ya it #### we don't get all the kids from the surrounding areas to come and play for Newton we breed our on down here and we must be pritty good at it to haha 

• Like 1