West Rusk (5-0) vs. Gladewater (5-0)

BearFan13

Who ya got?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

I have no doubt WR can beat GW, they don't have this hype for no reason BUT, I too cant see them being as good as Pleasant Grove (although the fact that GW has played PG for consecutive years now, no doubt helped them in that game) also, if they truly play as many players both ways as has been reported, that could be a problem for them. Coach Berry made a comment earlier in the year after one of the wins (may of been the PG game) that I found interesting, it was something like "we are one of the few 3A schools who don't have to play our players both ways and that really helps us" --- just something to consider when handicapping this game. 

9 minutes ago, bearnation said:

I have no doubt WR can beat GW, they don't have this hype for no reason BUT, I too cant see them being as good as Pleasant Grove (although the fact that GW has played PG for consecutive years now, no doubt helped them in that game) also, if they truly play as many players both ways as has been reported, that could be a problem for them. Coach Berry made a comment earlier in the year after one of the wins (may of been the PG game) that I found interesting, it was something like "we are one of the few 3A schools who don't have to play our players both ways and that really helps us" --- just something to consider when handicapping this game. 

That is mostly what my prediction is based on. I think West Rusk has great athletes and can play with anyone but will they tire out chasing TC Minter and Eli Carter on defense and it affect their offense? Or will they be too tired to chase Carter in the 4th quarter after playing so much on offense. I think the game stays close and GW’s depth proves to be too much. 

5 hours ago, BearFan13 said:

How is the pass coverage for WR? Because T.C. Minter is starting to be a problem for other teams! 

As a matter of fact West Rusk db’s consist of #4 Winings who led East Texas last year in interceptions with 7 and led Texas this year 3 in 2 games then he went down with some sort of injury he returned last week And #1 DJ Hart who is committed to a D1 college and #8 LJ Harper who is the hardest hitting safety in the the district by far. 

49 minutes ago, ETXFootball13 said:

As a matter of fact West Rusk db’s consist of #4 Winings who led East Texas last year in interceptions with 7 and led Texas this year 3 in 2 games then he went down with some sort of injury he returned last week And #1 DJ Hart who is committed to a D1 college and #8 LJ Harper who is the hardest hitting safety in the the district by far. 

Sounds like a good matchup 

1 hour ago, GWBears01 said:

That’s why Minter has been such a force. He ends up 1 on 1 a lot because teams are committing to stop the run. Unlike in previous years GW can make you pay. 

WR hasn’t been unable to stop any run in 2 years Newton didn’t even have the best success 

1 minute ago, ETXFootball13 said:

So you think y’all can contain #11,#4, And #1 in the passing game all night? They have 11 td’s combined

Seems like Harmony did a pretty good job of it. I’m sure the coaches are watching that game film. Harmony held WR to 28 points. If we can do that I like our chances to win. Will be hard to hold GW under 35. 

13 minutes ago, ETXFootball13 said:

So you think y’all can contain #11,#4, And #1 in the passing game all night? They have 11 td’s combined

West Rusk and Gladewater don’t compare.  You’re talking about a team that just left Gilmer & PG district vs a team that just moved up from Troup & ARP district. 

I promise you y’all are about to see a level of football that you haven’t witnessed.  I’m not doubting West Rusk at all, but I know y’all will not be able to slow down Gladewater.  There’s a reason Gilmer didn’t schedule them this year! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ETXFootball13 said:

Listen, its hard to "contain" any passing good passing game now-a-days but, the 2 better teams WR has played this year has held them to 18 and 28... WR won those games by 1 point and 4 points..... its not like they are just killing it on the offensive side of the ball.... but for giggles, lets say WR does indeed to get to 30, can they keep Gladewater from getting to 31? Which is considered the strength of WR, their offense or the defense?

2 minutes ago, bearnation said:

Listen, its hard to "contain" any passing good passing game now-a-days but, the 2 better teams WR has played this year has held them to 18 and 28... WR won those games by 1 point and 4 points..... its not like they are just killing it on the offensive side of the ball.... but for giggles, lets say WR does indeed to get to 30, can they keep Gladewater from getting to 31? Which is considered the strength of WR, their offense or the defense?

I’d be curious to know if anyone thinks Waskom or Harmony has a better defense than GW. As you said Waskom held them to 18 and Harmony held them to 28. 

52 minutes ago, ETXFootball13 said:

I said "I think a team will have to score 40 points to have a chance to beat the Bears at their best"

You come back with do I think we can contain so and so player??? Well truth is, if those guys are going both ways all night then yeah I'll go ahead and say they'll be in for a long night. 

4 hours ago, bearnation said:

I watched WR play Harmony earlier this year. They won on a last minute drive. They have some kids that can run, but don't have alot of size. I haven't seen GW this year, but assume they have similar size to years past. If so, they should be able to control the line of scrimmage. I think GW will be too much for them. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bearnation said:

Waskom held their offense to 6 points. Their defense returned a fumble 28 yards for a td and fell on a fumble in the end zone for the other td. Waskom also rushed for 191 yards against that “great run defense”. 

25 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

I said "I think a team will have to score 40 points to have a chance to beat the Bears at their best"

You come back with do I think we can contain so and so player??? Well truth is, if those guys are going both ways all night then yeah I'll go ahead and say they'll be in for a long night. 

Have you ever heard of heart? Grit? A few of these boys play both ways every game and it doesn’t effect them. And yes, twice in a good game 

3 minutes ago, LSUTIGERS said:

Waskom held their offense to 6 points. Their defense returned a fumble 28 yards for a td and fell on a fumble in the end zone for the other td. Waskom also rushed for 191 yards against that “great run defense”. 

hmmm... interesting.... has Waskom had this kind of success vs other teams too?

30 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

Hey bud are we not gonna mention that PG fumbled 4 times? And 2 were returned for scores? This a weaker PG too. But hey let’s not mention that! Because GW is just a good as Newton right?

• Stinks 1

1 minute ago, ETXFootball13 said:

Hey bud are we not gonna mention that PG fumbled 4 times? And 2 were returned for scores? This a weaker PG too. But hey let’s not mention that! Because GW is just a good as Newton right?

nobody said anything about that,buttt uhhhhhh ok. Yeah PG just handed us the ball on those two plays and we ran it right in.