Chapel Hill Program

Stankylegg

10 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Idk but CH has been on a downward trend since winning the 'ship in 2011. Sometimes you just go through a down period. Hope you guys get it turned around soon.

I would disagree with the timing of when it happened. More like 2014 season.  In 2013 CH went 4 rounds and lost to Kilgore in their route to the title game against Carthage.  CH had a very good team that year.  It just seems to me like other programs seem to be able to consistently win with maybe an occasional down year.  CH seems to be on a consistent below average trend with an occasional glimpse of potential greatness.  I’ve heard people blame it on participation rate, talent level, coaching, play calling, administration, demographics, private schools, transfers, etc.  Why can Kilgore, Carthage, Henderson, Gilmer, Tatum, Longview, JT, and several others make it happen, but not CH?

Why did CH have such trouble finding a coach?  4 candidates withdrew their name after making the cut.  

I remember going to the to the games in 2004-2015.  There was a winning expectation, packed house, lots of support, great atmosphere, playoffs were an expectation.  All of that’s long gone.  I hate it for the kids.  The team has a lot of great kids that have incredible potential.

Well who do you guys want as your coach?  I will admit I was surprised they hired the Brownsboro coach.   

Who are the quality coaches in East Texas?  Gilmer struggling and their fans want to fire their coach.  

Kilgore is struggling. 

Texas High is struggling. 

Nac has been struggling for some time. 

Center is struggling. 

Maybe it’s the kids and not the coaches??  Where do you find good coaches and how do you get them to stay?  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ETxFB299 said:

Well who do you guys want as your coach?  I will admit I was surprised they hired the Brownsboro coach.   

I was surprised too.  I felt it was a reach, but that it was only fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I wanted to see an up and coming guy.  I was surprised that he didn’t show up to any spring offseason workouts his first year there, and I was disturbed by his article in the pigskin preseason magazine throwing the seniors last year under the bus stating that they didn’t learn his system, as his explanation for a losing season last year. I still gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it’s more of the same this year.  I still give him the benefit of the doubt even today.   At some point we have to start making progress.  So what needs to happen to fix things in CH?

5 minutes ago, Stankylegg said:

I was surprised too.  I felt it was a reach, but that it was only fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I wanted to see an up and coming guy.  I do know he didn’t show up to any spring offseason workouts his first year there, and then threw his seniors last year under the bus in a news article before this season stating that they didn’t learn his system, as his explanation for a losing season last year. I still gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it’s more of the same this year.  I still give him the benefit of the doubt even today.   At some point we have to start making progress.  So what needs to happen to fix things in CH?

Unless you have some Matthew Tucker type kids coming up then y’all may be in trouble.  Being stuck in 4A-D1 with Carthage is bad for anybody.  

But you guys probably couldn’t compete in 4A-D2 either.  I would support the coach and give him a few years to prove himself.  

Gilmer for example.....their fans on here have completely turned on the coaches.  I think a lot of these coaches were the same ones on staff when Traylor was there.  I honestly think what Gilmer fans are doing on here is a little over the top! 

Our program in Center has declined significantly over the past 4 years.  But we trust that the powers that Be will see to it that it’s fixed.  Me getting on here complaining doesn’t fix it! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ETxFB299 said:

Unless you have some Matthew Tucker type kids coming up then y’all may be in trouble.  Being stuck in 4A-D1 with Carthage is bad for anybody.  

But you guys probably couldn’t compete in 4A-D2 either.  I would support the coach and give him a few years to prove himself.  

Gilmer for example.....their fans on here have completely turned on the coaches.  I think a lot of these coaches were the same ones on staff when Traylor was there.  I honestly think what Gilmer fans are doing on here is a little over the top! 

They expect wins.  They are in uncharted water and are reacting exactly how I expected them.

As far as the Matthew Tucker type kids, there’s one on the team now. Has 14 offers already.

2 minutes ago, Stankylegg said:

They expect wins.  They are in uncharted water and are reacting exactly how I expected them.

As far as the Matthew Tucker type kids, there’s one on the team now. Has 14 offers already.

Are you referring to the receiver?  He’s no Matthew Tucker...lol. But no offense. 

21 minutes ago, ETxFB299 said:

Who are the quality coaches in East Texas?  Gilmer struggling and their fans want to fire their coach.  

Kilgore is struggling. 

Texas High is struggling. 

Nac has been struggling for some time. 

Center is struggling. 

Maybe it’s the kids and not the coaches??  Where do you find good coaches and how do you get them to stay?  

I wish I knew the answer to the last question. 

Theres also a line between supporting your current coach and being the bad guy making needed changes at the coaching position.  How do you know which is right for your program?

Just now, Stankylegg said:

I wish I knew the answer to the last question. 

Theres also a line between supporting your current coach and being the bad guy making needed changes at the coaching position.  How do you know which is right for your program?

Whoever can get involved in the community and get the kids to respond to him positively.  Someone that wants to be in your town and is not just using it as a stepping stone for a better job.  

Its easy to tell if your coach wants to be there or not.  See how much community stuff he is involved in or what extra programs/opportunities he has for the young teenagers to show the the program cares about what type of person they are becoming.  

We are in a situation where our coach has applied for multiple jobs since he arrived.....not knocking him for trying to move on, but if you don’t want to be here then you need to get out! 

1 minute ago, ETxFB299 said:

Are you referring to the receiver?  He’s no Matthew Tucker...lol. But no offense. 

If he was at Carthage he would have double the offers.  Your point was needing to have talent on the field.  My point was that there is talent out there now. Carthage doesn’t even have Mathew Tucker talent every year, he was NFL talent level.  Williams is plenty good enough to ride behind him to several wins. Thomas in the other side is just as dangerous. Most schools would love to have two WR the caliber that CH has.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stankylegg said:

If he was at Carthage he would have double the offers.  Your point was needing to have talent on the field.  My point was that there is talent out there now. Carthage doesn’t even have Mathew Tucker talent every year, he was NFL talent level.  Williams is plenty good enough to ride behind him to several wins. Thomas in the other side is just as dangerous. Most schools would love to have two WR the caliber that CH has.

Not doubting the kid’s ability.  I’ve seen Matthew Tucker play, and I’ve seen Williams play.  2 different breeds of kids.  I personally don’t believe CH has the talent to compete.  We beat y’all 2 years in a row.  It’s a reason why that QB left!  If he thought y’all were gonna be good then I’m sure he would’ve stuck around for the challenge. There’s a reason why those 4 coaches turned the job down that you referred to earlier. Doesn’t sound like it has anything to do with coaching.....those 4 probably seen the writing on the wall. 

6 minutes ago, ETxFB299 said:

Whoever can get involved in the community and get the kids to respond to him positively.  Someone that wants to be in your town and is not just using it as a stepping stone for a better job.  

Its easy to tell if your coach wants to be there or not.  See how much community stuff he is involved in or what extra programs/opportunities he has for the young teenagers to show the the program cares about what type of person they are becoming.  

We are in a situation where our coach has applied for multiple jobs since he arrived.....not knocking him for trying to move on, but if you don’t want to be here then you need to get out! 

Good points.  I’ve always heard it take 3-4 years before you really know what quality of “program” a coach is running. 

1 minute ago, ETxFB299 said:

Not doubting the kid’s ability.  I’ve seen Matthew Tucker play, and I’ve seen Williams play.  2 different breeds of kids.  I personally don’t believe CH has the talent to compete.  We beat y’all 2 years in a row.  It’s a reason why that QB left!  If he thought y’all were gonna be good then I’m sure he would’ve stuck around for the challenge. There’s a reason why those 4 coaches turned the job down that you referred to earlier. Doesn’t sound like it has anything to do with coaching.....those 4 probably seen the writing on the wall. 

I’ve heard it’s because CH doesn’t pay enough for coordinators and other staff and participation rates.

I just refuse to believe that CH has 6-10 year talent droughts and all these other schools are immune to it.  These schools have talent, but they are also cultivating more talent, and maximizing the talent they have.  You can’t tell me that just because a kid grows up 20 miles down the road to the east they are just simply more talented.  I think the program plays more into all this.

1 minute ago, Stankylegg said:

I’ve heard it’s because CH doesn’t pay enough for coordinators and other staff and participation rates.

I just refuse to believe that CH has 6-10 year talent droughts and all these other schools are immune to it.  These schools have talent, but they are also cultivating more talent, and maximizing the talent they have.  You can’t tell me that just because a kid grows up 20 miles down the road to the east they are just simply more talented.  I think the program plays more into all this.

You need to find the answer to your own statement that you made.  Maybe that will give you some insight.  

“4 coaches turned the job down”

My two cents worth....for whatever that’s worth.....I am a long time dawg supporter since early 1980...had kids, nephews, and now grandson that have played for CH.

1. We have a real problem with our school board. 

2. We have a Head Coach that embarrassed himself last year and has not been able to overcome it. Does not know how to coach up kids and keep their respect. Then he scheduled this brutal preseason. Then when we get behind he just starts to run the same plays over and over to get the game over with. Even to the point the defense is calling our plays on the field. Our boys just want to be allowed to compete the best they can. He scheduled these games and should not stop trying when we get behind. Do we have enough talent to beat these teams.  No. But do we have the talent to score some points yes we do. Coach is nice guy and a good person but has lost the respect of his team. 

• Like 3

There’s not much discipline at the moment. He needs to make a statement or it will just continue. 

If i see one more taunting penalty I’m going to puke. RIDE THE PINE IT WILL STOP 

Kids walking off from team meetings. RIDE THE PINE IT WILL STOP. 

Fighting RIDE THE PINE IT WILL STOP. 

I don’t care if it makes us play with all backups. Make a damn statement. If you want to build a program, make a statement with these junior and seniors so these young guys coming up varsity level see that it is NOT tolerated. Do you think the surrats and the Traylors of coaching would allow it. NO WAY. We have witnessed players just straight up give up and walk off the field instead of hustling to make a tackle with no consequences. It just sets up the team to be a chemistry nightmare.   

Its embarrassing for my community. 

And i don’t care if we are getting beat 100 to 0 don’t shut down. Let um play. It’s great practice if nothing else. This is the biggest reason you see disrespect from the players to the coaches. They just want to play and we shutdown the play calling when we get way behind. This can’t be denied. 

• Like 1

Chasing rabbits here but I’ve been around some Robert e lee football this year and what i see is almost remarkable.  

It don’t matter if we are talking about the 9th grade b team or the varsity, all players are expected to act the same. If traylor can, he makes all thurs home games and he holds the players and the coaches just as accountable as the varsity. The kids are on the sideline as a group and a bunch of them. Just the 9th grade B team has 70+\- kids. He will be in the face of a 2nd string b teamer just as he would a varsity star. I was shocked at the involvement. All levels run like a well oiled machine. If a player is chatting while standing around not involved they are questioned. The result is a pile of kids cheering the team on every play. It is impressive. You might say well they have a lot more coaches but the number is kids per coach is the same as any school. The entire high school squad is expected to make every tutorial even if the player has straight A’s. If you miss, you are stressed on the field to a point you won’t miss another one. These kids wouldn’t second guess themselves on being lazy or disrespectful  because they know the punishment is coming there way hard.  When a kid is called on or the team they are sprinting to there coach. I’ve never witnessed anything like it.  

All that being said, he is building a program starting With the young boys that will open some eyes in the near future. 

14 minutes ago, JugLine said:

The entire high school squad is expected to make every tutorial even if the player has straight A’s. If you miss, you are stressed on the field to a point you won’t miss another one. These kids wouldn’t second guess themselves on bei

I will say that ALSO has to do with a PARENTING too...grades should not be put on coaching...Yes, they should hold them accountable but PARENTS are responsible for RAISING these kids NOT coaches...JUST saying...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ETxFB299 said:

You need to find the answer to your own statement that you made.  Maybe that will give you some insight.  

“4 coaches turned the job down”

I don’t know how to find the answer.  I wasn’t in the room when the coaches were interviewed.  You hear administration talk about things with a positive attitude.  

I just refuse to accept mediocrity and act happy about it.  It’s not doing any of these kids any good to learn to accept losing.    If I say I’m frustrated at how things are going and some changes are needed, I’m shunned for not “supporting the boys.”  This is just a nonsense argument that leads to a downward spiral. At some point we have to get real and determine what the real problem is, and then we have to fix it.   And I’m sick of hearing people blame it on talent level.  I played on a very successful team at CH, so I know what talent it takes to win, and the kids on the field now are good enough to compete at a higher level than they are currently. Something is just not working, and I don’t know what it is.

• Thanks 1