Chapel Hill Program

Stankylegg

On 10/2/2018 at 9:58 AM, Alpha99 said:

Im just curious what some of the Chill faithful think about Coach Hooker and the overall direction of the program. I personally think a coach needs 5 years to really get a good idea about what his way of thinking can do for a football program.

5 years to make a difference? That is just silly. Gibson came into PG made a difference in the very first year and promised that they would improve every year. It only took 4 years to get that state championship. How did he do it? He came in at the right time as far as above average talent goes, but he also changed the attitude of the whole athletics program and got involved with the middle school and younger football programs. I don't think he could have come in anywhere and did what he did, but it does not take a coach 5 years to figure anything out about a football program. 1 season at most, if he doesn't know what he has by then, he doesn't need to be coaching...coming from Hooks is no excuse...even though it is a good excuse to be sub-par.

19 minutes ago, Nonothing said:

5 years to make a difference? That is just silly. Gibson came into PG made a difference in the very first year and promised that they would improve every year. It only took 4 years to get that state championship. How did he do it? He came in at the right time as far as above average talent goes, but he also changed the attitude of the whole athletics program and got involved with the middle school and younger football programs. I don't think he could have come in anywhere and did what he did, but it does not take a coach 5 years to figure anything out about a football program. 1 season at most, if he doesn't know what he has by then, he doesn't need to be coaching...coming from Hooks is no excuse...even though it is a good excuse to be sub-par.

People say 5 years because that’s when the first group of 7th graders are seniors, and you get a really good picture of how they progress thru that coaches program. I understand that thinking, however, things like discipline, effort, etc.... should be evident from the first scrimmage of a new coach’s tenure. I think a coach that has his team playing fast, tough, and with heart deserves more time than one who doesn’t seem to be getting anything out of his guys. 

Seems like that is too late. Coaching is a fluid profession and you should be able to see what is and is not working in real time. I understand from the outside looking in that an observer would be able to see the different stages of progress over 5 years but a coach has to be able to not only predict the future but also be able to mold it.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:58 AM, Alpha99 said:

Im just curious what some of the Chill faithful think about Coach Hooker and the overall direction of the program. I personally think a coach needs 5 years to really get a good idea about what his way of thinking can do for a football program. It seems to me that Surratt and Traylor have made some folks in the area a little dillusional lately. I mostly follow Kilgore and Longview and I'll admit I have been one of the one's that have said in the past i felt like Longview should have had a state championship by now, but on the whole, Longview is in great shape as a program. 

Absolutely not true about the 5 years to get the program going. A good coach can come in to a place and turn it around in a year. Seen it done (many times) and been a part of it happening. You have to have the ability to get the kids to buy into you and your program. Kids are wayyyy smarter than some give them credit, they know when a coach is blowing smoke and when they genuinely care for them. All coaches do not have that God given ability to do this, but there are many that can. Now, I'm not talking about winning a state championship, I am talking about turning a losing program around to making the playoffs.

After watching CH play once this year I would agree they have the players to at least make the playoffs. Especially this year, when the 2nd, 3rd and fourth teams in that district are not world beaters. They had some good looking athletes that looked like they were just going through the motions, no fire at all.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

Absolutely not true about the 5 years to get the program going. A good coach can come in to a place and turn it around in a year. Seen it done (many times) and been a part of it happening. You have to have the ability to get the kids to buy into you and your program. Kids are wayyyy smarter than some give them credit, they know when a coach is blowing smoke and when they genuinely care for them. All coaches do not have that God given ability to do this, but there are many that can. Now, I'm not talking about winning a state championship, I am talking about turning a losing program around to making the playoffs.

After watching CH play once this year I would agree they have the players to at least make the playoffs. Especially this year, when the 2nd, 3rd and fourth teams in that district are not world beaters. They had some good looking athletes that looked like they were just going through the motions, no fire at all.  

Well said!

Something has to change to stop this downward spiral. Kids that might have college potential aren’t being looked at because the stats are so poor or there is no productive film to see. There parents/family choose to make a change so there kid might get a better look. Griffin was a perfect example this year with the move to John Tyler which didn’t work out so he ended up having a monster season at brook hill and prob had a great time doing it. 

For what it’s worth, only Thomas Sitton has found success in his 2nd year at Chapel Hill. 

Darold Turner 0-10 & 1-9

David Norris 2-8 & 5-5

Phil Castles 3-7 & 6-6

Sitton 5-5 & State Finalists 

Hooker 3-7 & ??

I would give him another year to see what he can do in year 3!  

If the Bullard coach indeed turned it down then there’s a reason that no one knows about except those that turned it down.  Nobody in their right mind would turn down Chapel Hill for Bullard.....unless there are some special circumstances. 

• Like 1

Every situation is different. I have no idea what's going on at CH but.... If the program is bad & the coach has to build or rebuild a program that can not & will not be done in 1 year. 3-4 yrs minimum. If it's a place with talent that was not winning that could still take a few yrs depending on the kids/community.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, ETxFB299 said:

For what it’s worth, only Thomas Sitton has found success in his 2nd year at Chapel Hill. 

Darold Turner 0-10 & 1-9

David Norris 2-8 & 5-5

Phil Castles 3-7 & 6-6

Sitton 5-5 & State Finalists 

Hooker 3-7 & ??

I would give him another year to see what he can do in year 3!  

If the Bullard coach indeed turned it down then there’s a reason that no one knows about except those that turned it down.  Nobody in their right mind would turn down Chapel Hill for Bullard.....unless there are some special circumstances. 

Phil Castles second year had CH winning their first playoff game in 10 years. And if Hokker has gone 5-5 I guarantee the attitude would be different. Norris would have taken his second year team to the playoffs in today’s 4 team bracket.  Check your facts before you talk about what you don’t know.  This staff isn’t a winning staff.  Went downhill in BB and is going downhill at CH.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:07 PM, spanky said:

Every situation is different. I have no idea what's going on at CH but.... If the program is bad & the coach has to build or rebuild a program that can not & will not be done in 1 year. 3-4 yrs minimum. If it's a place with talent that was not winning that could still take a few yrs depending on the kids/community.

Hooker isn’t putting in the work necessary to build a program.  He doesn’t show up for offseason workouts.

1 hour ago, Stankylegg said:

Phil Castles second year had CH winning their first playoff game in 10 years. And if Hokker has gone 5-5 I guarantee the attitude would be different. Norris would have taken his second year team to the playoffs in today’s 4 team bracket.  Check your facts before you talk about what you don’t know.  This staff isn’t a winning staff.  Went downhill in BB and is going downhill at CH. Hooker needs to go. 

Hey I was just being optimistic for you guys.  We beat yall 2 years in a row in that sacred district of doom.  I could care less about Chapel Hill.  

On 11/14/2018 at 10:16 AM, JugLine said:

I didn’t miss a game this year but this has been the hardest year to watch since the late 80’s. 

The lack of discipline, enthusiasm on the sideline, fundamentals (tackling and blocking), penalties, game plans, play calling that will have you scratching your head, defensive schemes, coaching staff with no pulse, soft practices, misuse of talent, etc has the true chapel hill fans sitting at home rather than getting there blood pressure up on fri nights. 

Its been rough and i couldn’t wait to get this season over. 

Didn’t CH win state in the late 80s?

42 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Didn’t CH win state in the late 80s?

1989 under Dickie Meeks

They had gone 9-3 the season before under Danny Malone ... Malone then left to go to PN-G

It was Meeks first job and first year in Texas ... opened the season 4-4 and were 1-3 in district.

From what I understand, they were screaming for his scalp ... then the Dogs regrouped and won the next 8 straight.

Finished 12-4 with a trophy.

hoss.jpg