Longview Lobos (5-0, 1-0) vs Mesquite Horn Jaguars  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite Horn in a close one
    • Mesquite Horn in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2018 at 12:30 AM

15 hours ago, WolverBean said:

When was the last time we had a wr go for 1,000 yards in season if any? Will perry be the first? His on pace 

15 hours ago, ANTI said:

Think Hawkins in 2011. If not him, Carey Fortson.

Either way, Perry is about to own every receiving record in the book after this year.

Answered this on the 6A board, but I'm about 97.75% positive we've never had a 1,000 yard receiver. 

Hawkins finished with 994 in 2011 and Fortson finished with 819 in 2009. That's as close as we've gotten as far as I can tell.

Perry sits at 635 through 5 games....so that's definitely getting broken this season unless an injury occurs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

What about TD receptions? 

He closing in on any of those records? In a season or career 

He's at 7 on the season, record is 13 set last year.

He's at 12 on career, record is 22 set last year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Quick said:

Get on outta here with that Jang-a-Lang! Hell, we're dodging enough bullets with this "defense" of ours. 

The defense that performed better against Rockwall than any other of their opponents?

Literally every team we played has scored their season low points when they played us, other than Ruston (scored 28 on us... Scores 21 on AC... But how many of their points were defensive against us?)

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The defense that performed better against Rockwall than any other of their opponents?

Literally every team we played has scored their season low points when they played us, other than Ruston (scored 28 on us... Scores 21 on AC... But how many of their points were defensive against us?)

7 defensively but 10 were directly because of our high snaps.

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So.... Umm..... I need to chill out, huh???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Nah. I agree this defense has a LOT of work to do. But I don't think they're as bad as a they seem to be. 

(I forgot about JT,  we held them to 13 and Cedar Hill held them to 7 lol)

The "bend but don't break" defense can be frustrating to follow. The other team will gain yards in chunks (and teams have done that to us), and you don't know if/when the defense will clamp down and make a stand. Against Lufkin? That never seemed to happen- any time they went on a deep drive, they scored. We didn't force many turnovers or FG attempts inside of our own 30, which is something you HAVE to do. Same with Rockwall, although we did get some huge turnovers later in the game. 

The next thing you have to take into consideration is that OUR offense has been scoring quickly and often. More scoring means giving the ball to the other team more, and more chances for them to score. Back in 2004, we used to have games where each team would get 2-3 drives in a half, and that was it. We didn't score nearly as much, but neither did they. When we played Tyler Lee, trailing 28-21 at half, we only had the ball twice in the second half (not counting kneeling the clock out to end regulation). Why? Because one of our drives took 9 minutes off the clock to tie the game. Lee had long, sustained drives the other times (one of which technically had a fumble that we recovered but then they forced a fumble that they recovered on the same play, although about 50 yards back). Sorry to ramble, but the point I'm making is that when you have an offense that scores quickly, the defense will have more chances to be scored upon and will inevitably give up more points. You're seeing that.

Sadly, the days of football like in the 90s/80s/70s are gone. Our 1975 team had something like 6 or 8 shutouts on the season. I can't remember the last shutout we had other than the 49-0 drubbing of Sulphur Springs in 2009. Offenses have evolved and defenses haven't evolved to keep up with them. You don't see teams winning games 12-7 or 14-0 the way we beat Killeen and Killeen Ellison in 1997. Or 7-3 the way we beat John Tyler in 1985 on a trick play skipped pass (we also lost to Abilene that year 3-0 on a last-second field goal). For those of us who grew up on run-oriented football, it's definitely taken some getting used to, and to see teams giving up 35 regularly is tough. It's just how the game is played now. 

Sorry to ramble... I don't mean to be argumentative or anything- I definitely respect your knowledge of football, Lobo football, and your passion for Lobo football... Like I said, I agree that our defense has a LOT to work on, and you don't need to "chill out" on anything. But I do think we need to take a step back and look at the biggest picture when we consider what our defense has done and consider a few things:

1. They've held teams to their lowest point total on the season except one (JT)

2. Our defense plays a style where they give up yards but not necessarily points (frustrating, I know)

3. Our offense scoring a lot more than normal has contributed to defense having to defend more (a good problem to have if our offense can STOP MAKING MISTAKES)

4. Football is different from how you and I used to play (sadly nothing we can do about this)

I'm hoping our defense works a lot during the off week and really shuts down Horn, who have been a thorn in our side recently. Best of luck!

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The "bend but don't break" defense can be frustrating to follow. The other team will gain yards in chunks (and teams have done that to us), and you don't know if/when the defense will clamp down and make a stand. Against Lufkin? That never seemed to happen- any time they went on a deep drive, they scored. We didn't force many turnovers or FG attempts inside of our own 30, which is something you HAVE to do. Same with Rockwall, although we did get some huge turnovers later in the game. 

I think people also tend to forget about all the times that that Rockwall had a chance to take a two score lead in that first half only for the defense to step up.

Right after our first drive where we had our only punt, they had a huge 3 and out to set the offense right back up where they faltered four plays previously. Was 7-0 Rockwall at the time.
The onside kick recovery by the Jackets. Huge, huge 3 and out by the Lobo defense. Was 14-7 Rockwall at the time.
And the goal line stand at the 7 yard line. We had just fumbled, about to go into the end zone. They had two or three huge plays right away to get down to our side of the field. And what happened? They held 4 consecutive times inside 15 and held on our own 7. Was 21-14 Rockwall at the time.

A two score game going into halftime, completely changes the game. Completely. 

And then in the 4th quarter, Rockwall got onto our side of the field once. They didn't come close to sniffing the end zone the entire quarter and were held scoreless for 18 minutes of game play. 18 of the 24 minutes of the 2nd half. Yes, they got two scores in the first 6 but the defense has come up big every time we needed them to/when it mattered the most.

Even in the Lufkin game, they got three huge stops in the first half and forced the ensuing fumble that led to Longview being able to win the game. 

We're 5 games into this thing. The defense is still young, and they're still getting into the right places. Are they going to be one of our best defenses ever? Heck no. No one even thought that at the start of the season. But they don't need to be this season.

We've faced five really good offenses so far this year, all of them different styles and types. Let them come into their own.

No one was questioning last season's defense at the end of things....despite them giving up just as many yards against Lufkin the playoff game that we gave up to Rockwall (tied for the exact same yardage)...or everyone has forgotten how bad they looked against Mesquite Horn at this exact same point. 

We'll be fine. Keep improving, stay healthy. That's the key thing from here on until November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quick said:

Naw man, you do you. It's a team effort up in here. 

LoboFan07 is the level-headed moderate, Anti and Johnny are the sunshine pumpers, and you are the loyal opposition.

See, it all works out.  :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think people also tend to forget about all the times that that Rockwall had a chance to take a two score lead in that first half only for the defense to step up.

Right after our first drive where we had our only punt, they had a huge 3 and out to set the offense right back up where they faltered four plays previously. Was 7-0 Rockwall at the time.
The onside kick recovery by the Jackets. Huge, huge 3 and out by the Lobo defense. Was 14-7 Rockwall at the time.
And the goal line stand at the 7 yard line. We had just fumbled, about to go into the end zone. They had two or three huge plays right away to get down to our side of the field. And what happened? They held 4 consecutive times inside 15 and held on our own 7. Was 21-14 Rockwall at the time.

A two score game going into halftime, completely changes the game. Completely. 

And then in the 4th quarter, Rockwall got onto our side of the field once. They didn't come close to sniffing the end zone the entire quarter and were held scoreless for 18 minutes of game play. 18 of the 24 minutes of the 2nd half. Yes, they got two scores in the first 6 but the defense has come up big every time we needed them to/when it mattered the most.

And this is the exact reason why @TheFootballFan needs to explain to me how Rockwall was better defensively at any point in that game.

Lobo defense forced several 3/4 and outs. And got the INT. What did Rockwall's defense do that made them better than ours?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ANTI said:

And this is the exact reason why @TheFootballFan needs to explain to me how Rockwall was better defensively at any point in that game.

Lobo defense forced several 3/4 and outs. And got the INT. What did Rockwall's defense do that made them better than ours?

I felt like our offense stopped our offense more than Rockwall stopped our offense. 

TheFootballFan is delusional and won't explain anything. I'm still waiting on an explanation on how Rockwall "won't lose in district" when I'm pretty sure they lost on Friday. :D

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

7 points against Ruston was a defensive score

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I felt like our offense stopped our offense more than Rockwall stopped our offense. 

Our offense was the only thing that stopped itself on Friday.

Even on the drive we had to punt, we dropped a pass that would've been a clear first down. I believe it was Kearbey that dropped it but I could be wrong. Either way, there was no one around him and was just a plain drop that looked like they were thinking more about running before actually catching it.

Other than that, nothing. We had the fumble by Anderson, but I didn't see the fumble. And I've heard numerous people say they thought he was down before. So I don't think that was a forced fumble or anything. Wasn't by a big hit or anything. They all just jumped on him.

Every other time we had the ball, we scored.

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I believe it was Kearbey that dropped it but I could be wrong.

It was Mumphrey #15 who was in for Kearby on that play.

Kearby has been pretty sure handed this year, no drops. Almost finally had one on that rediculous catch he had in the 3rd quarter I believe.

• Like 1