Pleasant Grove @ Carthage (Carthage Homecoming)

DAWG91

Pleasant Grove vs Carthage  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Hawks in a close one
    • Hawks in a blowout
    • Bulldogs in a close one
    • Bulldogs in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/06/2018 at 12:30 AM

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, JBizzle said:

2017 Dawgs were on a whole notha level. Three receivers who could catch greased lightning, a running back who is getting playing time as a freshman at UT, and 3 linebackers who were as good as it gets a 4A. This year’s team is good, but they have a long way to go to be on the level of last season. 

Thinking last year’s team would win based on this year’s results is laughable.

PG is a great team and I hope they win state this season also.

Don’t think this year is the same as last year.  I know PG lost some players too, but not on Carthage’s level.

JBizzle you really don't know what you're talking about. Yes Carthage graduated some great players, but PG lost its top five or six linemen, three of them as good as anything Carthage had in my books. PG also graduated a receiver that could have matched up with Carthage's great players. Don't get me wrong, I think the world of Carthage's team and Coach Surratt, but you don't know what you're saying about PG in 2017. The Bulldogs are considerably more talented than PG this year and I wish them all the luck. The Hawks had a great plan this year and executed it until their only turnover cost them the game.

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 2

13 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Correct.  I’d say it may have hurt more than help this year.  I think the kids lost a little edge with the week off.  Sure hope they get it back this week!

Yea that baffles me,, mainly because most Bulldog fans will exclaim that with 2 weeks coach Surratt would have them well prepared for this game. Some of the Grove fans said the bye could get them out of their groove. When that was said most Bulldog fans were stressing that people apparently didn't know Coach Surratt and he will have them more than ready. Then the Dogs struggle to win and its -"well the bye probably hurt them. They didn't look ready." I think its this. Both teams were ready. The Dogs just happen to have faced the best team they have faced all year and they gave them a reality check. This is going to help Carthage see some of their flaws going forward and correct them. They will be better after this scare from the Grove.

10 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Yea that baffles me,, mainly because most Bulldog fans will exclaim that with 2 weeks coach Surratt would have them well prepared for this game. Some of the Grove fans said the bye could get them out of their groove. When that was said most Bulldog fans were stressing that people apparently didn't know Coach Surratt and he will have them more than ready. Then the Dogs struggle to win and its -"well the bye probably hurt them. They didn't look ready." I think its this. Both teams were ready. The Dogs just happen to have faced the best team they have faced all year and they gave them a reality check. This is going to help Carthage see some of their flaws going forward and correct them. They will be better after this scare from the Grove.

I believe Carthage was prepared.  Obviously PG was too.  I think Carthage execution was poor at times, and you have to give PG credit for most of that because PG execution was on point for 99% of the game.  It just seemed to me like the Dawgs didn’t have their normal edge.  Yes I agree with you that this game, going the way it did, will help both teams tremendously.

23 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I believe Carthage was prepared.  Obviously PG was too.  I think Carthage execution was poor at times, and you have to give PG credit for most of that because PG execution was on point for 99% of the game.  It just seemed to me like the Dawgs didn’t have their normal edge.  Yes I agree with you that this game, going the way it did, will help both teams tremendously.

Yes Sir

5 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

The biggest takeaway from this game is how well the Hawks shut the run down COMPLETELY; This has to be, without a doubt, the lowest yardage on the ground in Carthage football history... PG took away the balance Carthage is so well known for.

Yep but couldn’t stop both the pass and the run!

14 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

The biggest takeaway from this game is how well the Hawks shut the run down COMPLETELY; This has to be, without a doubt, the lowest yardage on the ground in Carthage football history... PG took away the balance Carthage is so well known for.

Actually it might be the lowest rushing total in Carthage history. Would be interesting to see. Before Surratt Carthage didn’t really pass the ball, so I wouldn’t think Carthage ever had 12 yards rushing. I doubt Surratt ever had 12 yards rushing. In 2014 there was some games where we couldn’t run the ball and had to throw it ever down. But not sure they ever had only 12 yards.

10 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Yep but couldn’t stop both the pass and the run!

The passing game has been good this year.

Same thing in the Marshall game. They took away the run, but Carthage hit them with big plays passing. But Carthage had the ball more in that Marshall game then in the PG game. They ran 26 times for 70 yards. Had 70 yards rushing and 302 passing. Ran 52 plays and scored 35 points in the game against Marshall.

In the PG game Carthage ran the ball only 14 times for 12 yards. Passed the ball 30 times for 420 yards. Ran 44 plays for 432 yards. 

Against PG, PG ran 58 total plays. In the game against Marshall they ran 62 total plays.

So that is 2 games where Carthage lost the TOP, ran less plays, had less 1st Downs, had less rushing yards, couldn’t run the ball effectively...but still won the game. Carthage hard to beat, even if you beat them in the box score. 

1 minute ago, bansheefan03 said:

That's why it's so hard to beat Carthage if u load the box to stop the run Carthage is just as comfortable throwing it around as they r running if you play the pass 

i think it was 2010 when carthage's TB went around 300 yards in the state semifinal game.  the next week.......in the state championship.......their opponent stacked the box to shut down the run.   QB throws like 6 TD passes.   in other words don't pat yourself on the back when shutting down only one part of the dawgs offense.  cause phase 2 is coming at ya!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

The passing game has been good this year.

Same thing in the Marshall game. They took away the run, but Carthage hit them with big plays passing. But Carthage had the ball more in that Marshall game then in the PG game. They ran 26 times for 70 yards. Had 70 yards rushing and 302 passing. Ran 52 plays and scored 35 points in the game against Marshall.

In the PG game Carthage ran the ball only 14 times for 12 yards. Passed the ball 30 times for 420 yards. Ran 44 plays for 432 yards. 

Against PG, PG ran 58 total plays. In the game against Marshall they ran 62 total plays.

So that is 2 games where Carthage lost the TOP, ran less plays, had less 1st Downs, had less rushing yards, couldn’t run the ball effectively...but still won the game. Carthage hard to beat, even if you beat them in the box score. 

Looking at the Marshall and PG games, how many 5 play or less drives did we have?  I know we had at least two against PG that were like 1 play and 3 plays respectively.  The quick strike scoring drives can be daggers in a blowout, or they can actually hurt the defense in a close game.

23 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Looking at the Marshall and PG games, how many 5 play or less drives did we have?  I know we had at least two against PG that were like 1 play and 3 plays respectively.  The quick strike scoring drives can be daggers in a blowout, or they can actually hurt the defense in a close game.

Yea, against Marshall same thing. It seemed like every drive was 2-5 plays and scoring long TD. This offense is fun. They are still making mistakes, but man can they put the ball in the end zone quick. Still another dimension to the offense when 10 starts getting more touches later in the season, and in the playoffs.

On a side note I have been very impressed with #17 Holcomb. Kid is a football player.

• Like 1

Another thing that is getting overlooked is Carthage holding PG to 21 points. They are usually a high scoring team. I can find only one other time in the last 2 years they were held to 21 points, and that was against Tatum last year. So the 21 points is tied for their lowest points scored in the last 2 seasons.

With that said  PG held Carthage to the lowest point total in the last 2 years at 28. I think the 2nd lowest is tied at 35. The Marshall game this year, and the playoff game against Henderson last year.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, Hawknation03 said:

I was getting very annoyed with some of the PG fans. After every dang play some of them were calling for a flag on every play. There were calls missed for both sides. I thought the officials did a good job and let the kids play. One lady was yelling “start the clock” after the sideline receptions from Carthage. A hawk fan told her the clock stops when they go out of bounds. She continued to yell start the clock even on the next reception and the receiver got out of bounds.. it was annoying bad. Every time Carthage made a play WHERE’S THE FLAG??  

You could've sat on our side 😁

2 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Actually it might be the lowest rushing total in Carthage history. Would be interesting to see. Before Surratt Carthage didn’t really pass the ball, so I wouldn’t think Carthage ever had 12 yards rushing. I doubt Surratt ever had 12 yards rushing. In 2014 there was some games where we couldn’t run the ball and had to throw it ever down. But not sure they ever had only 12 yards.

On the contrary, The 1991 Semi Finalist Team with Joey Blissett at QB threw it a lot; much like the Offense we are seeing today.👌

16 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

On the contrary, The 1991 Semi Finalist Team with Joey Blissett at QB threw it a lot; much like the Offense we are seeing today.👌

And that 1991 team took the field at The Astrodome with a 15-0 record..... And then A&M Consolidated beat them.😟

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Reynolds was known for a primarily run game.  The team you are talking about was an exception.  At least thats my memory.  

26 minutes ago, house said:

Reynolds was known for a primarily run game.  The team you are talking about was an exception.  At least thats my memory.  

You are right, but Sleepy knew he had something in that team and to me at least, that team was the team that lit the spark for the present day balanced offense we all know & love...👍