Pleasant Grove vs Gilmer

BIGTEX1972

We had those Sophmores on the Varsity before the season started. The 2 Freshman were pulled up after Week 2 and 4. I know we have starters out but all those Sophmores have been playing alot. Most starting every week. And Hurt can run they just dont call the plays to allow him to run. Hes not the fastest kid but he can run.  

8 hours ago, Buckeyebaseball21 said:

We had those Sophmores on the Varsity before the season started. The 2 Freshman were pulled up after Week 2 and 4. I know we have starters out but all those Sophmores have been playing alot. Most starting every week. And Hurt can run they just dont call the plays to allow him to run. Hes not the fastest kid but he can run.  

He ain’t no running QB. I mean come on now. We ain’t in Jr high any more 

• Like 1

Finally going to see Gilmer since 2014! I've seen PG twice, they will be a handful. I was so disappointed to find out Traylor (sorry if I misspelled his name) left that I never went back! Have many good memories of those Gilmer teams! I hope things get better for you guys! No, I am not from Gilmer, was just a fan.

• Like 1

New poster so be kind...

Hawks JV won 49-36

They were up 42-8 late in the third and started easing off and Gilmer recovered a couple of onside kicks to help close the gap.

I was impressed w/ Gilmer kids that even when they were down 42-8 the sidelines were supportive and the kids played hard so that when they got a little opening they were able to make the game interesting in the 4th quarter.  I think that is what sets Gilmer apart from many other programs is the culture that you install over there.  It was a very classy sideline and full of kids who never quit.  I was very impressed.

That being said - PG had about the same number kids on the sideline as Gilmer and had more talent.  I know many posters on here give PG a hard time since they just emerged as relevant last year with their first State Championship, but it is obvious that as long as the current coaching staff stays or at least their culture stays, then PG should enjoy much of the same level of success as Gilmer or Carthage or some of the other East Texas powerhouses.  One thing that PG has going for it now is a much more open enrollment policy that is similar to many of the other schools around here.  Teams like Gilmer or Carthage not only have great programs and cultures, but they have a captive audience as they are they don't really have any other viable HS around them to pull away kids.

In Texarkana there are 4 HS that pull kids in many different directions.  Over the years, PG has lost a lot of quality FB players to T-High for example - but with the new culture here at PG, I can see that we are starting to get kids and families that move to PG so their kids can be part of this program.  That momentum seems to be pretty strong since last year and will probably continue and allow PG to stay strong for years to come...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hawks2021 said:

New poster so be kind...

Hawks JV won 49-36

They were up 42-8 late in the third and started easing off and Gilmer recovered a couple of onside kicks to help close the gap.

I was impressed w/ Gilmer kids that even when they were down 42-8 the sidelines were supportive and the kids played hard so that when they got a little opening they were able to make the game interesting in the 4th quarter.  I think that is what sets Gilmer apart from many other programs is the culture that you install over there.  It was a very classy sideline and full of kids who never quit.  I was very impressed.

That being said - PG had about the same number kids on the sideline as Gilmer and had more talent.  I know many posters on here give PG a hard time since they just emerged as relevant last year with their first State Championship, but it is obvious that as long as the current coaching staff stays or at least their culture stays, then PG should enjoy much of the same level of success as Gilmer or Carthage or some of the other East Texas powerhouses.  One thing that PG has going for it now is a much more open enrollment policy that is similar to many of the other schools around here.  Teams like Gilmer or Carthage not only have great programs and cultures, but they have a captive audience as they are they don't really have any other viable HS around them to pull away kids.

In Texarkana there are 4 HS that pull kids in many different directions.  Over the years, PG has lost a lot of quality FB players to T-High for example - but with the new culture here at PG, I can see that we are starting to get kids and families that move to PG so their kids can be part of this program.  That momentum seems to be pretty strong since last year and will probably continue and allow PG to stay strong for years to come...

Helluva first post. Talent is there(just look at last year) and coaching is as good as any, including Carthage and WOS in 4A

3 hours ago, Hawks2021 said:

New poster so be kind...

Hawks JV won 49-36

Great post. I would disagree on 1 small point. PG did not have as many JV kids suited up last night as Gilmer. I made a statement that I thought PG would put backups in. But when PG had 11 on field there wasn’t but about 5-8 on sideline. Very impressed with #5 and #4  for PG. was told by chain gang kid that #5 was a JR  transfer and that’s why he wasn’t on varsity. PG was bigger and faster. I thought they were better at every posistuin except QB. Gilmer’s JV Qb (freshmen) is a player 

23 minutes ago, CallMeDaddy said:

Is that a typo, you say your coaching is as good as Surrat?  

Absolutely 

ETSN coach of the year last year.

Plus, one Could argue that Gibson outcoached Surrat in this year’s game. Carthage did win, but PG had a very good game plan and almost pulled out the victory in Carthage.