Pleasant Grove vs Gilmer

BIGTEX1972

3 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Okay,some quick observations:

1. Great game by Gilmer defense. Really played outstanding after the first two series.  Adjusted well to PG, and didn't get sucked in on the sweeps too often.  If they play defense like that the rest of the way, they will be okay. 

2. But it won't matter if the Gilmer O line continues to play so poorly. I know people on here were saying Gilmer should run the ball. They couldn't. PG was in the backfield all night.  And Webb just doesn't have the burst this year.  The desire is there, but physically he just can't accelerate.  

3. Gilmer's passing game was affected by the poor O line play also.  Just inexcusable.  I don't care what offense you run, if you can't block, it doesn't work. 

4. Also, if you can't score on 1st and goal from the one, you shouldn't win. Gilmer could have made that a game midway through the third quarter with a TD. 

5. As far as the rotating QB situation, enough has already been said. It isn't fair to either kid.  I don't know who's better.  At this point I don't really care. Pick one and stick with him.  Let him get all the reps, and let him develop a rhythm. 

6.  PG is still good, but not as good as last year. They lack the big play threat in the passing game they had last year.  I think 4A div. 2 is a little down this year, so they still might be able to win state.  They can drain the time off a clock!   And their defense is still extremely good.  

my biggest concern for Gilmer going forward is that PG is now a better program than Gilmer. During the Traylor years, Gilmer routinely beat better teams because they were the better program.  So Gilmer was more disciplined, more focused, and expected to win games against teams that had more talent.  But now PG is the school with the better program.  Just consider the way both teams played Carthage.  Gilmer was totally overwhelmed, while PG thought they had a chance to win (and almost did). Better programs beat better teams all the time. Better programs allow average teams to become good, and good teams to become great.  Gilmer has a chance in the next couple of years to have a good team.  But PG now has the better program.  And I don't know if the Gilmer coaching staff can turn that around. 

Man, you got it Casual. People like me can think it, but you can put it on paper! I love your posts! Been wanting to create an account for a long time, now I'm here!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

1. Great game by Gilmer defense. Really played outstanding after the first two series.  Adjusted well to PG, and didn't get sucked in on the sweeps too often.  If they play defense like that the rest of the way, they will be okay. 

2. But it won't matter if the Gilmer O line continues to play so poorly. I know people on here were saying Gilmer should run the ball. They couldn't. PG was in the backfield all night.  And Webb just doesn't have the burst this year.  The desire is there, but physically he just can't accelerate.  

3. Gilmer's passing game was affected by the poor O line play also.  Just inexcusable.  I don't care what offense you run, if you can't block, it doesn't work. 

4. Also, if you can't score on 1st and goal from the one, you shouldn't win. Gilmer could have made that a game midway through the third quarter with a TD. 

5. As far as the rotating QB situation, enough has already been said. It isn't fair to either kid.  I don't know who's better.  At this point I don't really care. Pick one and stick with him.  Let him get all the reps, and let him develop a rhythm. 

6.  PG is still good, but not as good as last year. They lack the big play threat in the passing game they had last year.  I think 4A div. 2 is a little down this year, so they still might be able to win state.  They can drain the time off a clock!   And their defense is still extremely good.  

my biggest concern for Gilmer going forward is that PG is now a better program than Gilmer. During the Traylor years, Gilmer routinely beat better teams because they were the better program.  So Gilmer was more disciplined, more focused, and expected to win games against teams that had more talent.  But now PG is the school with the better program.  Just consider the way both teams played Carthage.  Gilmer was totally overwhelmed, while PG thought they had a chance to win (and almost did). Better programs beat better teams all the time. Better programs allow average teams to become good, and good teams to become great.  Gilmer has a chance in the next couple of years to have a good team.  But PG now has the better program.  And I don't know if the Gilmer coaching staff can turn that around. 

Man, you got it Casual. People like me can think it, but you can put it on paper! I love your posts! Been wanting to create an account for a long time, now I'm here!

50 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

The whole staff must be reevaluated at the end of the season with special scrutiny given to the O-line coaches.

Has anyone ever heard of a team at any level alternating 2 QB's every two series for the entire season?

Good luck the rest of the way PG. Y`all got a real good team that could be even better next year. Hope y`all have a long and injury free run into the playoffs.

For the Buckeyes, I guess it will probably be the same ol' same ol' next week in Pitt. Just hope we can actually score in this one.

Seems like I did see one team doing that one year. I believe it was a Denton Ryan/Waco Midway playoff game several years back. Don't quote me on that though!

12 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Well said 

What I think I saw tonight besides rain and slippery balls. 😜

Ex Buckeye Landon Jackson is really great  PG o line is decent PG Defense is good PG offense is effective. Boring as hell. But effective. Any of Gilmer’s QB’s including freshmen could QB that O, he just raises his leg and hands off, PG had the ball all but about 30 seconds 1st qtr?  Gibson cost PG 5 points on opening drive by not continuing to run the ball. Although PG did get a safety that’s why I say 5 instead of 7.  #13 cost you 7 As well smh 

Gilmers O line struggled badly tonight maybe because PG Dline is good or maybe because Gilmer oline is not good. Or both #6 took a beating, Gilmer passing was not good, slippery balls, lack of time and when they had time dropped passes Tra was missed tonight, Offense played poorly. What I did see positive was I thought Gilmer competed more than I have seen them compete in recent games. Played with a little more fire  Feel better about this loss then I do about last weeks win. Hopeful for clear skies and dry field next week  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CallMeDaddy said:

Ex Buckeye Landon Jackson is really great  PG o line is decent PG Defense is good PG offense is effective. Boring as hell. But effective. Any of Gilmer’s QB’s including freshmen could QB that O, he just raises his leg and hands off, PG had the ball all but about 30 seconds 1st qtr?  Gibson cost PG 5 points on opening drive by not continuing to run the ball. Although PG did get a safety that’s why I say 5 instead of 7.  #13 cost you 7 As well smh 

Gilmers O line struggled badly tonight maybe because PG Dline is good or maybe because Gilmer oline is not good. Or both #6 took a beating, Gilmer passing was not good, slippery balls, lack of time and when they had time dropped passes Tra was missed tonight, Offense played poorly. What I did see positive was I thought Gilmer competed more than I have seen them compete in recent games. Played with a little more fire  Feel better about this loss then I do about last weeks win. Hopeful for clear skies and dry field next week  

I would hate to see you guys healthy!

26 minutes ago, CallMeDaddy said:

PG quarterback could be a DI recruit next year. He didn't pass tonight because of their offense and the weather. If you saw him in the playoffs last year you should know what a great passer and runner he is. His biggest asset is that he's a winner. If he played for Gilmer, he'd average 300 yards passing if he had an o-line and receivers.

Did not expect a shut out but the game did go about like I thought. Low scoring and grinding the football. Tyler Kelly showboated and cost the grove 7 points. Not something I want to see from a high school kid.. very selfish! # 54 for PG had a really good game. Not sure why PG coach kept running the QB on short yardage situations. There were plenty of dropped passes from both teams. That’s to be expected in a monsoon! PG Defense is getting really good! COngrats to the Hawks 2-0 in district! As for Gilmer that did not look like the Gilmer team I am used to seeing. I think folks are right that they are really missing their coach. 

Heck yeah! First time since 2001 Gilmer gets shut out! Looks like that Blackhawk D is showing it's face again. Good job Hawks! Offense is going to be just fine and PG will go undefeated in district, once again. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to that bye week for a much deserved rest and recharge for the trip to the ship.

6 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

PG quarterback could be a DI recruit next year. He didn't pass tonight because of their offense and the weather. If you saw him in the playoffs last year you should know what a great passer and runner he is. His biggest asset is that he's a winner. If he played for Gilmer, he'd average 300 yards passing if he had an o-line and receivers.

Not D1.  D3 maybe.

6 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

No sir. Not saying he can’t play though 

10 hours ago, metalhead10 said:

The whole staff must be reevaluated at the end of the season with special scrutiny given to the O-line coaches.

Has anyone ever heard of a team at any level alternating 2 QB's every two series for the entire season?

Good luck the rest of the way PG. Y`all got a real good team that could be even better next year. Hope y`all have a long and injury free run into the playoffs.

For the Buckeyes, I guess it will probably be the same ol' same ol' next week in Pitt. Just hope we can actually score in this one.

Van rotates  qb every series

19 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

PG didn't outcoach Carthage. PG executed Coach Gibson's plan to near perfection. I don't believe anybody in 4A, except Carthage, could have beaten the Hawks that night. When Carthage had the ball it moved the ball and scored. Surratt's plan burned the Hawks for over 400 passing yards. I think it was two great coaches.

Agree, one the of the best games i've seen. Great coaching and play.

10 minutes ago, PGHAWKS said:

Agree, one the of the best games i've seen. Great coaching and play.

Hawks are scrappy/tough on both sides of the ball and purposely and very effectively limit the offensive possessions of the opponent.

They bled the play clock down to 1 every play against Carthage. I’ve never seen any team do that. Crazy, and it worked in limiting Carthage, but when you drill down to it PG also limited their own possessions. If you play straight up, score and your defense gets a stop and you score again you’re sitting at 10-0 at worst. By killing the clock and holding the ball it’s harder for you to extend your lead. I think the PG game plan worked how they wanted it to, but the byproduct was it also kept Carthage within striking distance. Then, when the game was on the line the Dawgs made the necessary plays to win, barely!

Great game between two great teams!

I have for the first time this year at times have said things about coaching etc. But I do know this Coach Turner and the old staff still here do teach our Young Men the rite way or do their best to be Great Men. I for one should never bash anyone working w our kids even if I have a different opinion. We as a society get caught up in it's all about winning every year in and out when most know it's easier to get there than it is to stay there. Do we have the athletes we have had in the past this year No. Those kids fought their tails off last night win or lose. I'm not saying anything about any of the posters; just I know in the future I'm not going to bash the coaches for what they are doing even if I dont agree. In reality i got a text from a man I greatly admire and respect this AM..And he gave me the cold hard truth etc. Everyone have a great rest of your weekend and Good Luck to all the High School teams for the rest of the season...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Buckeyebaseball21 said:

I have for the first time this year at times have said things about coaching etc. But I do know this Coach Turner and the old staff still here do teach our Young Men the rite way or do their best to be Great Men. I for one should never bash anyone working w our kids even if I have a different opinion. We as a society get caught up in it's all about winning every year in and out when most know it's easier to get there than it is to stay there. Do we have the athletes we have had in the past this year No. Those kids fought their tails off last night win or lose. I'm not saying anything about any of the posters; just I know in the future I'm not going to bash the coaches for what they are doing even if I dont agree. In reality i got a text from a man I greatly admire and respect this AM..And he gave me the cold hard truth etc. Everyone have a great rest of your weekend and Good Luck to all the High School teams for the rest of the season...

Very good post. I am not from Gilmer. I am one of many on here who has been on here for many years and had Gilmer rubbed in our faces on Smoaky. Traylor built a great program and we all can respect that. Gilmer fans also have to be prepared to take getting it rubbed back in their faces.  And don’t take this wrong we know it’s all just for fun.  I have a lot of respect for Gilmer’s program even today.  I no longer get a thrill out of seeing them struggle  it has actually been surprising to see them struggle this much.  Like I have said before all good things come to an end and I think we all understand that and it doesn’t mean they won’t be a great program again. 

One thing I have noticed this year is that the amount of Gilmer support on here has dropped off.  That is unfortunate but I guess everyone has their bandwagon fans. I’ve seen a lot of post this year from frustrated fans. Many are spoiled and that’s understandable. Many want the coaches gone and that’s being selfish.  That is still a very good coaching staff  Buckeyebaseball21  everyone has their own opinion and I respect the post you just made of the position you are going to take concerning the Buckeye football program. Like I said I’m not from Gilmer or even a fan just been very surprised at their struggles and surprised at the complaining about coaching. To bad everyone doesn’t take your position instead of being selfish when things aren’t going the way they would like.  Just have to realize the talent level has maybe dropped off and maybe other schools have caught up 

• Like 1