Tenaha vs Garrison

RetiredDawg10

Reading through this was entertaining to say the least! The Tenaha troll actually made a few good points, but has WAY too many facts wrong.

I do agree about the Chavis McCollister squads in 97 and 98. In my humble opinion I think they were the best small school squads to come from these parts from about 1990 to the present. I watched them beat a very good Elysian Fields squad in 98 that faced mighty Celina two years in a row in the state finals,  and fall just short of a very good Logansport squad in 1997 by a score of 58-60 in a great game!  McCollister was the real deal. The best I've seen in person around here. He was heavily recruited by some top 20 schools to play defense. A lot of people don't realize just how strong he was! He hit the big kid from Elysian Fields (Chris ?) who played for A &M and totally destroyed him! There were other good players on those squads as well.

The question most people ask is how does Tenaha and Garrison win year in and year out? I know there is extreme strong bloodline involved, but there are recruits and move ins in both towns. As there is in every town that wins year in and year out. To include Newton as much as they hate to admit it! They have kids come in from Jasper and Louisiana.

I'm not sure, but didn't Garrison have the Watts twins from Center this year? and I know Tenaha gets players from other places. The big Patton kid is a life long Joaquin resident, but moved to Tenaha this year to play his freshman year. He will be a SERIOUS force in Tenaha the next 3 years. A difference maker. 

Same with Logansport. Their recent state winning team had some Center and Mansfield kids playing for them.

Chavis McCollister was one of the greatest athletes I’ve ever watched play a sport, any sport, in person at any level.

That guy had maybe the strongest arm or could throw a football harder than anyone I’ve seen throw a football. McCollister could run around like Kyler Murray except with five times the strength and difficulty to tackle. This dude was a super freak athlete. Tigers would snap the ball and he’d just run around behind the line of scrimmage toying with the defenders trying to sack him until one of his receivers came open 60 yards downfield and hit them with it. 

If McCollister has been at Carthage we’d have won multiple state championships with him well before Surratt came around. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Chavis McCollister was one of the greatest athletes I’ve ever watched play a sport, any sport, in person at any level.

That guy had maybe the strongest arm or could throw a football harder than anyone I’ve seen throw a football. McCollister could run around like Kyler Murray except with five times the strength and difficulty to tackle. This dude was a super freak athlete. Tigers would snap the ball and he’d just run around behind the line of scrimmage toying with the defenders trying to sack him until one of his receivers came open 60 yards downfield and hit them with it. 

If McCollister has been at Carthage we’d have won multiple state championships with him well before Surratt came around. 

I watched him in person once and followed him the rest of his career. Saw him play about 20 games total, and I've never seen anything like it in person. That is including college and pro games.. I followed him a little in college as he dominated at Trinity Valley as  a running back. Then I left the area. Shortly after he was injured at Tarlton I think?

Apparently he took bad advice out of high school? Could have played just about anywhere but chose Trinity so he could play football and basketball. He also had offers to play pro baseball out of high school as well.  Probably would have had the strongest arm in the MLB. I didn't see it in person but it is well known that he could put his back on the centerfield fence and throw it all the way to the catcher!!! 

There were other really good players on those 97 and 98 Tenaha squads. Kennis Hednerson  is one name that sticks out, but McCollister was so dominant I don't really remember the other players names.

3 minutes ago, easttex18 said:

I watched him in person once and followed him the rest of his career. Saw him play about 20 games total, and I've never seen anything like it in person. That is including college and pro games.. I followed him a little in college as he dominated at Trinity Valley as  a running back. Then I left the area. Shortly after he was injured at Tarlton I think?

Apparently he took bad advice out of high school? Could have played just about anywhere but chose Trinity so he could play football and basketball. He also had offers to play pro baseball out of high school as well.  Probably would have had the strongest arm in the MLB. I didn't see it in person but it is well known that he could put his back on the centerfield fence and throw it all the way to the catcher!!! 

There were other really good players on those 97 and 98 Tenaha squads. Kennis Hednerson  is one name that sticks out, but McCollister was so dominant I don't really remember the other players names.

McCollister was a once every 30 years type athlete. I too meant to say he’s probably the best athlete I’ve ever watched play any sport in person at any level, and that includes all the UT football games I’ve attended, Rangers games, Mavs games and Dallas Cowboys games I’ve attended. He was a super human, it was unreal.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

As much as I hate to give Tenaha any credit, yeah, McCollister was a great one. One of the best schoolboy athletes I've seen in person. One of those ultra rare talents who would've been dominant regardless of level. 1A? 5A? D-I? Doesn't matter. Dude was legit. A shame his collegiate and pro career didn't fulfill his potential, but luck is a factor too. 

• Thanks 1