Gilmer vs Pittsburgh

BIGTEX1972

13 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

I watched a little of the 1st half highlights but didn't see anything that was over the top. That being said I wasn't at the game, but I can only imagine how any team that has lost to Gilmer for a long period of time would act if they were actually winning. Surely anyone would understand being in that position. I know Friday night during halftime of the Gladewater/White Oak game when they were announcing scores of area teams, there was a loud cheer when they gave the Gilmer score. Nothing when they gave the scores from our district. That's no disrespect to the Buckeyes but when you've lost to them for what 15 years now, people are happy for the teams that beat them. 

Personally, I feel for Gilmer. When you've had the kind of success y'all have had, I can't imagine how it must feel to have a year like this one. I guess I say all that to say I understand how the Pirates feel but I also understand why Buckeye fans would be upset to see another team that excited about beating them. 

Still games out there to win for the Buckeyes, and y'all can still get the prize. Won't be easy, but winning Championships are never easy. You've done it before, so you know what it takes. Go for it!!!

The majority of us Buckeye fans understand what it feels like to end a losing streak against a nemesis.  I don't have a problem with the celebrating and excitement.  I understand completely.  It was Baca's first ever victory over Gilmer, and that had to be big for him personally.  Some of the antics were "probably" a little over the top, but it was a big win for Pitt.

And, you're right.  It is tough watching our Buckeyes struggle.  After almost 20 years of annual success, this year's team hasn't even "resembled" any team in the recent past.  You are seeing the frustration from our fans, and opinions as to what "should" be done to stop the downward spiral we are in.  I can understand that completely, too.  I even have my own opinions.  We WILL BE BACK.  The talent well is still deep in our little town.

34 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

The majority of us Buckeye fans understand what it feels like to end a losing streak against a nemesis.  I don't have a problem with the celebrating and excitement.  I understand completely.  It was Baca's first ever victory over Gilmer, and that had to be big for him personally.  Some of the antics were "probably" a little over the top, but it was a big win for Pitt.

And, you're right.  It is tough watching our Buckeyes struggle.  After almost 20 years of annual success, this year's team hasn't even "resembled" any team in the recent past.  You are seeing the frustration from our fans, and opinions as to what "should" be done to stop the downward spiral we are in.  I can understand that completely, too.  I even have my own opinions.  We WILL BE BACK.  The talent well is still deep in our little town.

Rooting for y'all. Well, until we meet up again. 😊

I was not at the game Friday night but I have heard from people that were there. Let me start off by saying that at last years game with Gilmer , when Pitt got ready to come on the field the lights were turned off and then back on as the team came onto the field. There were several players from Gilmer's team came out onto the field and taunted the Pitt players. After halftime the same thing happened as Gilmer's players had to be held back by coaches and refs . I don't understand why the lights being turned off and back on can create such anger toward the opposing team. I understand the same thing happened again this year only the Pitt players reacted differently after halftime , maybe because of what happened at the start of the game. As far as the so called antics of the coach showing enthusiasm on the sideline , I have been waiting a long time for him to get excited and put some fire back into his team. I witnessed Josh Gibson do the very same thing a couple years ago when P G  came back on Pitt and won the game. I didn't see or hear all this retoric from Pitt fans. I was impressed with him getting his team excited and fired up. That was the sophomores that went on to win the State title last year. I guess if you are Gilmer and have not lost as many games in a season as this year, it is very frustrating and if you are Pitt and just beat a previous power house , then I understand the excitement. So Gilmer should understand what an accomplishment it was for Pitt and accept it as a compliment to your program. Gilmer will be back maybe as soon as next season, I don't see them being down for long.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, BIGTEX1972 said:

I think  it’s  a combination of things. We have had injuries we are young and we have lost trailer and about ten coaches. I’ve been in sales along time. Some guys are great salesmen but not very good sales mgrs. that’s what I think is going on in Gilmer. We have good coaches but no Alpha to lead the troops. In their asst coach position I think Turner was great but we need a Alpha to lead. Not everyone is a leader

I wrote something almost identical Friday night on the game chat...

Giving the same messages that J.T. gave don't necessarily come across the same as time goes by, when the same type leadership personality isn't presenting it. The soft spoken, kinder, gentler leader isn't the Alpha that got Gilmer to the top. Those that know/knew Jeff, know him to be a great Christian guy, but he still was super intense when it came to his football/sports business (as it should be). He was super wise to have the great guys like Turner/Metzel, Kurt Traylor, and others in valuable leadership spots that had the right personalities to push those areas. Calmness, intensity, meanness, fear for a moment, love, intelligence, each had/has the tool to teach in their niche to gain the players attention and draw out the most skill. 

I know Kurt Traylor is struggling at Tyler Lee, but I think that could be very much a result of you get what you have. They have tough competition and a finicky group to pick from, where the most Tyler talent goes to John Tyler...then to private schools (super big there in Tyler). Would his voice and personality be similar to J.T. or would he not want to come back behind Jeff? Has he got the experience now to lead with comfort?

Another out of the box thought (a young up and coming coach - not sure he's looking towards high school)...Jordan Traylor? He's on the staff at U of Arkansas now and has been at U of Texas and working along with Jeff for quite some time. He's been at A&M, Texas, and Arkansas on top of his college playing time at Mississippi College and A&M...soaking up tons of knowledge that would probably be great for us along with being able to create a great staff between younger and older coaches.

Alan Metzel? I wondered why we didn't move in this direction when we made the change originally and he had stayed here in Gilmer...and Kurt didn't take over.

Bad thing, coming from the athletics world myself...I do realize it's unlikely that GISD will make across the board changes. Unless Turner is at that point where he wants to "step away from coaching" and that allows Gilmer to open the position up. 

13 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I wrote something almost identical Friday night on the game chat...

Giving the same messages that J.T. gave don't necessarily come across the same as time goes by, when the same type leadership personality isn't presenting it. The soft spoken, kinder, gentler leader isn't the Alpha that got Gilmer to the top. Those that know/knew Jeff, know him to be a great Christian guy, but he still was super intense when it came to his football/sports business (as it should be). He was super wise to have the great guys like Turner/Metzel, Kurt Traylor, and others in valuable leadership spots that had the right personalities to push those areas. Calmness, intensity, meanness, fear for a moment, love, intelligence, each had/has the tool to teach in their niche to gain the players attention and draw out the most skill. 

I know Kurt Traylor is struggling at Tyler Lee, but I think that could be very much a result of you get what you have. They have tough competition and a finicky group to pick from, where the most Tyler talent goes to John Tyler...then to private schools (super big there in Tyler). Would his voice and personality be similar to J.T. or would he not want to come back behind Jeff? Has he got the experience now to lead with comfort?

Another out of the box thought (a young up and coming coach - not sure he's looking towards high school)...Jordan Traylor? He's on the staff at U of Arkansas now and has been at U of Texas and working along with Jeff for quite some time. He's been at A&M, Texas, and Arkansas on top of his college playing time at Mississippi College and A&M...soaking up tons of knowledge that would probably be great for us along with being able to create a great staff between younger and older coaches.

Alan Metzel? I wondered why we didn't move in this direction when we made the change originally and he had stayed here in Gilmer...and Kurt didn't take over.

Bad thing, coming from the athletics world myself...I do realize it's unlikely that GISD will make across the board changes. Unless Turner is at that point where he wants to "step away from coaching" and that allows Gilmer to open the position up. 

I was very surprised that Kurt Traylor wasn't the hire when his brother left. Last year he led Lee to their first winning record in a number of years. They are struggling this year against better 6A teams. Not sure if Gilmer will pull the trigger on letting Turner go. If they do than they should go get KT. He has the fire and intensity that many posters on here are saying is missing and he's a Gilmer boy.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2018 at 8:56 AM, eagle34 said:

I was very surprised that Kurt Traylor wasn't the hire when his brother left. Last year he led Lee to their first winning record in a number of years. They are struggling this year against better 6A teams. Not sure if Gilmer will pull the trigger on letting Turner go. If they do than they should go get KT. He has the fire and intensity that many posters on here are saying is missing and he's a Gilmer boy.

Heard that Kurt did not want the Gilmer job. Did now want to follow Jeff and be the "other" Traylor. Don't know if that is true or not, but don't blame him if it is.

With regard to Turner, rumor was that he did not want to be head coach and wanted to stay in the booth calling plays.  He only took the job after a lot of pressure.

Turner is a good man, but not a head coach. He has to go. Short practices with no contact has turned the Buckeyes into a joke, and that is on Turner. We have not been this bad since Doug Busch was head coach in the 90's.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

Heard that Kurt did not want the Gilmer job. Did now want to follow Jeff and be the "other" Traylor. Don't know if that is true or not, but don't blame him if it is.

With regard to Turner, rumor was that he did not want to be head coach and wanted to stay in the booth calling plays.  He only took the job after a lot of pressure.

Turner is a good man, but not a head coach. He has to go. Short practices with no contact has turned the Buckeyes into a joke, and that is on Turner. We have not been this bad since Doug Busch was head coach in the 90's.

Dont know where you are getting your information. I'm sure one of the Gilmer insiders can set the record straight. It was my understanding and I thought common knowledge that KT and Turner were the 2 finalists. I think you're wrong. I would assume someone that grew up in Gilmer, played for Gilmer and Coached 15 years in Gilmer and interviewed for the HC job would want the job.

39 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

UIL rules, for schools that follow the rules, have limited contact in practice to 90 minutes a week. 

90 minutes is better than no contact, but only not near what was done in years past. 

19 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Dont know where you are getting your information. I'm sure one of the Gilmer insiders can set the record straight. It was my understanding and I thought common knowledge that KT and Turner were the 2 finalists. I think you're wrong. I would assume someone that grew up in Gilmer, played for Gilmer and Coached 15 years in Gilmer and interviewed for the HC job would want the job.

I think the reason Kurt left Gilmer was because he did not get the HC position.  At least that is what I heard  Not sure how reliable that source was though.  

On 10/27/2018 at 1:25 PM, metalhead10 said:

I didn't take offense to anything the Pitt players or coaches did.  I wish our lame and uninspired coaches would show some energy and excitement like the Pitt coaches did. Good for them for getting into the game and getting their players not only far more prepared than Gilmer, but having a darn good time while doing it.

After we lose to LE in two weeks, let the blood bath begin with the Gilmer coaching staff.

Thank You! 

On 10/27/2018 at 1:25 PM, metalhead10 said:

I didn't take offense to anything the Pitt players or coaches did.  I wish our lame and uninspired coaches would show some energy and excitement like the Pitt coaches did. Good for them for getting into the game and getting their players not only far more prepared than Gilmer, but having a darn good time while doing it.

After we lose to LE in two weeks, let the blood bath begin with the Gilmer coaching staff.

I watched Gilmer from 2004 to 2014. Had a blast traveling to all of those games! I was one that also said that it would go downhill after hearing Traylor left. Not on here, but to friends. He brought so many things to the table! I spoke to him a few times when given the chance. He was brilliant!

• Like 1