Texas Down Low

oldtownag

The Downlow site was active for many, many years.  I don't know what happened......but there was no mention or forewarning of an impending problem that needed to be addressed.  I guess those that operated the site decided there was not enough support/users to keep it going for the amount of time and resources required.  Too bad they didn't let all the regulars know in advance.  

The site was mainly South/Central Texas oriented from it's original roots with still quite of few longtime posters from that region active.  But they lost hundreds and hundreds of posters & viewers over the years as Twitter/Facebook sites took precedence over online forums.....especially with the younger viewers.  I know the North Texas and West Texas posters had all but vanished in recent years........and it was especially noticeable this season.  Just not enough interest and support to keep it going.....IMHO.  I have heard nothing......this is just my personal take on what may have occurred.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:22 AM, Hlion said:

I meant this website my mistake lol. 

We have more people posting here than we ever have before IMO. If we ever got some DFW posters and others down South etc, it'd be really kicking full time. 

I was a longtime poster on the Downlow, and have been posting here off & on since maybe 2010.   But I really did not regularly post here during the regular season because this site did not cover all of Texas in Argyle's classification.......only during the playoffs when Argyle was playing some of the East Texas/Central Texas schools covered here.  I think this site could accommodate at least the DFW/N. Texas areas(Region 2).......not sure about West Texas or Region 1 though.  

It will be back up in the week. Domain company had issues or something and they had to move it to a new server. 

Back from 2002-2012ish it was the place to be for Texas 3A and also had a great offseason group that had a bunch of fun. 

Sadly someone took over the site and kinda went nazis mode for a while with stupid rules about where you could post or what you could post. Favortisim became an issue as some people were banned for the littlest thing while others were threatening people with no problem. You could not even have close to a heated debate or threads would be closed and such. 

Since new people have had site it is still good on some info but nowhere like it used to be.

Also a class only site will always rise and fall with teams in the class. Some of the power teams that came to the board are no longer in now 4A or their teams are not as good. 

7 hours ago, TxBroadcaster said:

It will be back up in the week. Domain company had issues or something and they had to move it to a new server. 

Back from 2002-2012ish it was the place to be for Texas 3A and also had a great offseason group that had a bunch of fun. 

Sadly someone took over the site and kinda went nazis mode for a while with stupid rules about where you could post or what you could post. Favortisim became an issue as some people were banned for the littlest thing while others were threatening people with no problem. You could not even have close to a heated debate or threads would be closed and such. 

Since new people have had site it is still good on some info but nowhere like it used to be.

Also a class only site will always rise and fall with teams in the class. Some of the power teams that came to the board are no longer in now 4A or their teams are not as good. 

Was a member on there since 2002 but haven’t been on there for several years.  But you’re right, the site was the go-to back then for 3a.

22 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

From their FB page, they are saying that it takes up to about 7 days, and they didn't start the transfer until last Thursday.

Hope the transfer is in process.  I contacted GoDaddy last week, about paying for a year's renewal, but they won't let you, unless you are the owner (and know the PIN) or know the last few digits of the credit card used to register.  Their spiel is that they have to login to the account and without the PIN or credit card on file info, they can't access it.  Sounds like they are trying to let the final expiration happen on purpose.  They said the domain name goes up for auction on 11-26.

2 hours ago, MoveTheChain said:

Hope the transfer is in process.  I contacted GoDaddy last week, about paying for a year's renewal, but they won't let you, unless you are the owner (and know the PIN) or know the last few digits of the credit card used to register.  Their spiel is that they have to login to the account and without the PIN or credit card on file info, they can't access it.  Sounds like they are trying to let the final expiration happen on purpose.  They said the domain name goes up for auction on 11-26.

Beats me how all that works, but the owner said this morning on FB that the transfer has been done, and that she should have her up and running again later this evening, maybe morning.

5 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

Beats me how all that works, but the owner said this morning on FB that the transfer has been done, and that she should have her up and running again later this evening, maybe morning.

Well, they have upped the name registration for another year, so it's looking promising:

WHOIS search results

Domain Name: TEXASDOWNLOW.COM 
Registry Domain ID: 1832435108_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN 
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.1and1.com 
Registrar URL: http://registrar.1and1.info 
Updated Date: 2018-11-08T05:26:49Z 
Creation Date: 2013-10-25T04:09:13Z 
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-10-25T04:09:13Z 

On 11/2/2018 at 7:02 AM, oldtownag said:

What happened?  Gone for good or tech difficulty?

Technical difficulties that I'm working on. The domain had to be transferred which took 7 days. Now I've to get the redirect set up. I wish by tomorrow but likely this weekend.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 2:15 PM, regaleagle said:

I was a longtime poster on the Downlow, and have been posting here off & on since maybe 2010.   But I really did not regularly post here during the regular season because this site did not cover all of Texas in Argyle's classification.......only during the playoffs when Argyle was playing some of the East Texas/Central Texas schools covered here.  I think this site could accommodate at least the DFW/N. Texas areas(Region 2).......not sure about West Texas or Region 1 though.  

I, along with many others, appreciate your posts on this site. Argyle is top class!