2018 3A D1 Playoff Brackett

88YoePride

Region 1: Personally, I'm calling Shallowater to face Brock or Wall (Projecting they meet in third round) in this final. Brock vs Breckenridge is an interesting first-round matchup...

Region 2: This is a thick region. Winner is going to give the Region 1 champ a fight in the semis, long as they make it there without a lot of injuries.

Region 4: I see Edna coming out of the top half of this bracket. The bottom half is going to be more interesting. Goliad-Yoakum in the third would be a game to see.

Region 3: Lots of good matchups here, too. Personally, I don't see anyone but Franklin winning this, the way they've played this season. We'll see what Teague has to say about that in the second round. ūüėČ Poor Rockdale - Grandview in the first round, and if they survive that, probably Woodville in the second. And then Franklin in the third. You know, unless they get a Lion-taming Teague team. ūüėȬ†

• LOL! 1

5 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

Region 1: Personally, I'm calling Shallowater to face Brock or Wall (Projecting they meet in third round) in this final. Brock vs Breckenridge is an interesting first-round matchup...

Region 2: This is a thick region. Winner is going to give the Region 1 champ a fight in the semis, long as they make it there without a lot of injuries.

Region 4: I see Edna coming out of the top half of this bracket. The bottom half is going to be more interesting. Goliad-Yoakum in the third would be a game to see.

Region 3: Lots of good matchups here, too. Personally, I don't see anyone but Franklin winning this, the way they've played this season. We'll see what Teague has to say about that in the second round. ūüėČ Poor Rockdale - Grandview in the first round, and if they survive that, probably Woodville in the second. And then Franklin in the third. You know, unless they get a Lion-taming Teague team. ūüėȬ†

West's defense has been playing really really well lately. Believe they held Teague to 80 yards total til late in the 4th. As long as they protect the ball they'll make a pretty good run. But yeah I agree I think Franklin eventually comes out on top of this region. West,Yoe,Franklin or GV. I can see any of those 4 teams making it out. No offense Rockdale. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

Yes, region 2 is thick. Gladewater and Tatum just battled it out last night for the district title. Jefferson is an absolute beast(IMO). They beat Atlanta not long ago( which was a highly anticipated game). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Troy will take down Teague.  This is not your old Troy team of the past.  Do not rule Rockdale out.  They are young but that defensive front is pretty solid and their running backs are slitherly good.  West will destroy Academy.  The Yoemen are flying under the radar this season.  This Yoemen team is better then the 2016 team overall that played in the regional finals against Malakof.   They should not have any problems with Whitney.  

25 minutes ago, yoenation79 said:

Troy will take down Teague.  This is not your old Troy team of the past.  Do not rule Rockdale out.  They are young but that defensive front is pretty solid and their running backs are slitherly good.  West will destroy Academy.  The Yoemen are flying under the radar this season.  This Yoemen team is better then the 2016 team overall that played in the regional finals against Malakof.   They should not have any problems with Whitney.  

I think Rockdale overachieved this season. But I'm calling this now: Given they did what they did with seven freshmen on varsity (four starting, I heard), and given how Yoe's subvarsity performed, including against programs like A&M Consolidated, by 2020 the Battle of the Bell could be the game of the season in 3A.

57 minutes ago, Anxiety said:

Yes, region 2 is thick. Gladewater and Tatum just battled it out last night for the district title. Jefferson is an absolute beast(IMO). They beat Atlanta not long ago( which was a highly anticipated game). 

Fans in that region better put back a "ticket, gas, and concession" fund. Plenty of must-see games for the next month! The NFL is going to look boring!

1 hour ago, yoenation79 said:

I dont think they are better then the 2016 team but they are looking good

Guest Tiger03lb
26 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

I would say their defense this year is better than the 2016 team. Don't think the offense is as explosive as 2016. Yoe could make it to meet you guys in qtr finals. I think they have what it takes to beat the winner of Diboll/buna game. Yoe/West would be a great game. 

38 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

I would say their defense this year is better than the 2016 team. Don't think the offense is as explosive as 2016. Yoe could make it to meet you guys in qtr finals. I think they have what it takes to beat the winner of Diboll/buna game. Yoe/West would be a great game. 

I would agree with that statement their defense is better i believe but their offense is not as good as the 2016 team.... But only time will tell how good everyone is.... But the time is now to kick it up a notch

43 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

I really hope to see a Diboll vs Yoe matchup. Good programs learn from a tough loss and I believe Diboll has grown after the Franklin loss. I believe Buna runs the wing T so Diboll should be ready for it. 

2 minutes ago, Woodshed said:

I really hope to see a Diboll vs Yoe matchup. Good programs learn from a tough loss and I believe Diboll has grown after the Franklin loss. I believe Buna runs the wing T so Diboll should be ready for it. 

Franklin runs the wing T better then anyone in 3a imo.... They grown alot in 1 week then thats great good luck in the playoffs

1 hour ago, lionpride08 said:

In 2016 the Yoemen depended on the passing game.  There was hardly any running attack besides what the qb could get.  This year they are 3 to 4 deep at running back.  The offensive line is probably fundamentally better then it has been since Rhoades left in 2015.  I contribute allot of this improvement to the new OC hire.  

4 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Franklin runs the wing T better then anyone in 3a imo.... They grown alot in 1 week then thats great good luck in the playoffs

Yep that’s the reason I even mentioned Buna running the Wing T. I just don’t see Buna running that offense as good as Franklin does...but I could be wrong. 

12 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Well they're one of the few that run the wing T. Besides the SETX teams. But good on them for making it work cause definitely gotta have the size on the line to do it. 

23 minutes ago, Woodshed said:

Yep that’s the reason I even mentioned Buna running the Wing T. I just don’t see Buna running that offense as good as Franklin does...but I could be wrong. 

Buna appears to have a good record at 8-2, they must be pretty solid? 

36 minutes ago, PepperBrooks said:

Well they're one of the few that run the wing T. Besides the SETX teams. But good on them for making it work cause definitely gotta have the size on the line to do it. 

Been running it for 12 years now.... Everyone from youth, jr high, jv, and varsity runs it here.... They start learning it about 3rd grade.... Got a good size line this year... Avg about 6'2 235lb across the line then add a 6' 225 running back behind that with some get up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Been running it for 12 years now.... Everyone from youth, jr high, jv, and varsity runs it here.... They start learning it about 3rd grade.... Got a good size line this year... Avg about 6'2 235lb across the line then add a 6' 225 running back behind that with some get up

That'll help too 

4 hours ago, yoenation79 said:

In 2016 the Yoemen depended on the passing game.  There was hardly any running attack besides what the qb could get.  This year they are 3 to 4 deep at running back.  The offensive line is probably fundamentally better then it has been since Rhoades left in 2015.  I contribute allot of this improvement to the new OC hire.  

Yoe's OL has been a serious issue for three seasons. Maybe more.

Region 1 : Brock or Shallowater 

Region 2 : Jefferson or Gladewater 

Region 3 : Franklin 

Region 4 : Edna or Goliad 

As for as Teague, lack of depth is hurting them especially on the lines. They will have to bring their A game to beat Troy.