GILMER Vs SUNNYVALE

Sportsguru02

Gilmer vs Sunnyvale  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/17/2018 at 01:30 AM

5 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Wasn't Kurt Traylor and most of the staff still there for a couple of years after JT left? Quite a few went to Lee and PT before last Season and the slide seems to have really accelerated when those Coaches left. I think they lost 7-8 Coaches.  Not sure who they were replaced with. 9 losses the last 2 years.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!  I owe you a chicken dinner.  The turnover in the coaching staff is a HUGE reason for what has happened this season.  Anytime you lose good coaches it hurts the continuity of the team, especially if you don't replace them with comparable coaches.  Not a bash on our staff, just an observation.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2018 at 4:28 PM, CasualObserver70 said:

2015 - one loss

2016 - two losses

2017 - Three losses

2018 - Six losses (will be seven)

the concern is not the record, but the trend. 

Exactly right. Kurt was a huge loss and the O-line coaches need to go. They are terrible.

Turner went with two poor QB's rotating them every two series this season. If the JV QB is not the starting QB next year it lets you know all you should already know about Turner.

We loose on Friday and this terrible  season is over, thank god.

• Like 1

Nothing against the Gilmerites, but Sunnyvale didn't win 9 games this season because they are cupcakes.  I looked at their schedule and stats......be ready to go to battle.  I'll be picking Sunnyvale to come out on top in this one.....js.  They succeeded versus their schedule......what more can you ask?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

Exactly right. Kurt was a huge loss and the O-line coaches need to go. They are terrible.

Turner went with two poor QB's rotating them every two series this season. If the JV QB is not the starting QB next year it lets you know all you should already know about Turner.

“We”, I don’t think you even live in Gilmer right now.  Go find some other place to run down.  You are a pathetic individual who just gets on a forum and runs people down. I am not happy about the way our season has turned out, but running down people doesn’t help.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, metalhead10 said:

I agree, 100% is not on them.

Only about 99% of it, according to current players, current reviews, and current results.

Nothing will change until Turner is gone and the staff is overhauled. 

You didn't really just type "according to current players" ? Stop Just Stop

56 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

Wonder who the O-Line coach is for the 2-8 Red Raiders? 

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Nothing against the Gilmerites, but Sunnyvale didn't win 9 games this season because they are cupcakes.  I looked at their schedule and stats......be ready to go to battle.  I'll be picking Sunnyvale to come out on top in this one.....js.  They succeeded versus their schedule......what more can you ask?

Sunnyvale may win, but its schedule was made up of cupcakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Interesting. Dont know much about who they have played. Have they beat or played any ranked 4a teams this year? I know they are a new school and used to be part of Mesquite ISD. They have been 3A and I believe this is the first year for 4A. Please post schedule. 

36 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Interesting. Dont know much about who they have played. Have they beat or played any ranked 4a teams this year? I know they are a new school and used to be part of Mesquite ISD. They have been 3A and I believe this is the first year for 4A. Please post schedule. 

0CB8E5AB-3CCF-40E8-AD21-AF70E1B339E1.jpeg

541E1F56-85CB-4EDD-AFD4-0FC143A41366.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

0CB8E5AB-3CCF-40E8-AD21-AF70E1B339E1.jpeg

541E1F56-85CB-4EDD-AFD4-0FC143A41366.jpeg

While I'm by no means here to diminish what S'vale has accomplished this season, winning is winning and is earned regardless of the level of opponent. However, I do ponder a bit about the outcome of the season's record for both teams if their schedules were reversed.

GIL.jpg

Coaching a seventeen-year-old's psyche can be a complicated matter. Nothing like winning brings a strong feeling of confidence (as long as it doesn't develop into a self-absorbed cockiness) … Wins matter – kids don't care who it's against … So Sunny has a definite advantage there because having collected many wins (regardless of competition) certainly does more for the intensity level than someone who has been through a challenging schedule and had to listen to people around town constantly assigning blame over here and over there.

It sometimes takes a few series for a team to adjust to a suddenly higher level of athleticism, so the key for Gilmer is to jump out early … and then keep the pedal to the metal. Because in the case of the first, Gilmer may create some doubt in Sunny's mind about what is happening, but S has successful enough that G can't just rest, they best hammer until Vale are convinced they can't win.  And that won't be easy .  That is where character comes into play - some keep playing, scratching, fighting, doing their job;  while others spend their time pointing fingers and worried about what the guy next to them (or on the sidelines) is doing ... Good luck to both teams - may they all end up safe.

Sunnyvale also defeated Kemp(5-0/8-2) and Van Alstyne(6-0/7-3) in predistrict games.....two Class 3A D-1 teams that went undefeated in their districts.  The point is that Sunnyvale won all of the games against their schedule and that's all you can really ask.  Gilmer may win this game, but then again......they may not.  I'm going with a team that has won every game this season and has played some pretty decent teams.......even though Gilmer played a tougher schedule.  Playing a tough schedule and winning your games in that tough schedule are two different things.  Besides.......winning begets confidence and losing begets a lack of confidence when it matters most.

• Like 1

Argyle man has some very good points. I am frankly shocked at the overconfidence of many of the Gilmer posters. But I've been seeing this on here all season long. It's as if no one notified them that Gilmer's dynasty has collapsed. 

I hope he's wrong and all the overconfident posters are right, of course.

Interesting perception, Regal …. but I don't see an over-confident level in these posts … if anything, what I do see is a bunch of folks who are wondering which Gilmer team will show up. It appears that if it is the one from the last two games, then the Buckeyes are in trouble. However, in reality, this particular matchup is not a true David vs Golaith struggle merely looking at the season record might suggest. That is not to shortchange Vale's season because undefeated is undefeated and that is an accomplishment to be proud of regardless of competition. It just means that the Buckeyes have seen pretty much the best that the region, at several varying levels, has to offer. The question is … what do they do with that experience?

As an observer, I prefer data to inuendo …. and what I see is an average Gilmer defense vs the level of competition that they have played. I'm not sure what happened the last two weeks to vary from that data, but it happened. Were they beat out (overmatched), beat up (major injuries), beat down (nagging injuries), or just out and out worn out? There's really not much in this limited data to tell. But something happened … but I've studied too much history and behavioral science to believe that it was single-causational. Maybe they just started to listen to the coyotes howl and the crows squawk. Kids this age usually don't normally develop enough of a knowledge, maturity, or skill base to determine whether these predators say these things to support the kids or grind a personal axe. Hard to tell.

I have no dog in this hunt, but personally I would rather play a 9-0 Sunnyvale team than play Carthage, Newton, Van, Paris, or Pleasant Grove again. But maybe that's just me. If that's being over-confident, then old Coach Webster needs to add a definition to his portfolio.

The data:

Atlanta scored 38.3ppg   Gilmer allowed 41

Atlanta allowed 29.2ppg   Gilmer scored 47

Van scored 33.1ppg   Gilmer allowed 41 

Van allowed 22.0ppg   Gilmer scored 42 

Paris scored 28.9ppg   Gilmer allowed 27

Paris allowed 15.1ppg   Gilmer scored 21

Carthage scored 42.0ppg   Gilmer allowed 66

Carthage allowed 16.4ppg   Gilmer scored 14

Newton scored 49.8ppg   Gilmer allowed 51

Newton allowed 8.8ppg   Gilmer scored 31

Bullard scored 30.3ppg   Gilmer allowed 0

Bullard allowed 38.5ppg   Gilmer scored 62

Spring Hill scored 15.2ppg   Gilmer allowed 18

Spring Hill allowed 18.3ppg   Gilmer scored 20

Pl Grove scored 35.4ppg   Gilmer allowed 14

Pl Grove allowed 18.9ppg   Gilmer scored 0

Pittsburg scoreed 33.4ppg   Gilmer allowed 45

Pittsburg allowed 24.0ppg   Gilmer scored 15

Lib-Eyl scored 26.1ppg   Gilmer allowed 47

Lib-Eyl allowed 35.4ppg   Gilmer scored 28

Note: Weakness in research methodology here is the absence of Turnover Margin from games.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 36gut said:

Argyle man has some very good points. I am frankly shocked at the overconfidence of many of the Gilmer posters. But I've been seeing this on here all season long. It's as if no one notified them that Gilmer's dynasty has collapsed. 

You should see Daingerfield posters

4 hours ago, 36gut said:

I am frankly shocked at the overconfidence of many of the Gilmer posters. But I've been seeing this on here all season long. It's as if no one notified them that Gilmer's dynasty has collapsed. 

I totally disagree.  There have been very few Gilmer posters on here this year and the ones that have been displayed far from overconfidence in this Gilmer team.  As a matter of fact most have seen Gilmer's demise coming for several years now.  The lack of attendance for some of the games is a clear indication that confidence has been lost.  And I would imagine that the turnout in Greenville Friday night will be the smallest playoff game crowd Gilmer has EVER had. 

5 hours ago, 36gut said:

This Buckeye fan is not over confident. I do not know what I will see Friday. 

I know what I will hear though.