Pleasant Grove vs Waco Connally @ Royse City ISD Stadium Friday 1pm Area Round of Playoffs

dhoop02

Also something to remember is that last years team,,(as good as that Defense was) they did not shut out any team. This years Defense has shutout 3 teams, including a District game in Gilmer who had not seen such a thing in like 3 decades. Like it was said,  without some freak turnovers this years team is likely to be 11-0. 3 of the district teams still in the playoffs had impressive losses to PG. Lets start with Liberty Eylau-- to me this was the most impressive win of the season. Overcoming a 21-0 deficit and out scoring LE 35- 7 in the second half was incredible. Next Gilmer- Like I said first shutout in decades. Next Pittsburgh- A blowout of 45-20. So is PG just a product of poor competition or are they a real contender to repeat for the 4ADiv 2 crown? The evidence supports it is the latter! GO HAWKS!

23 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Also something to remember is that last years team,,(as good as that Defense was) they did not shut out any team. This years Defense has shutout 3 teams, including a District game in Gilmer who had not seen such a thing in like 3 decades. Like it was said,  without some freak turnovers this years team is likely to be 11-0. 3 of the district teams still in the playoffs had impressive losses to PG. Lets start with Liberty Eylau-- to me this was the most impressive win of the season. Overcoming a 21-0 deficit and out scoring LE 35- 7 in the second half was incredible. Next Gilmer- Like I said first shutout in decades. Next Pittsburgh- A blowout of 45-20. So is PG just a product of poor competition or are they a real contender to repeat for the 4ADiv 2 crown? The evidence supports it is the latter! GO HAWKS!

Well maybe 10-1. 😉 J/K

Definitely not a product of poor competition, although some of the teams are better than last year and some not as good as last year. Look at where those teams are right now to determine strength of schedule. Personally, I think y'all have played really great competition this year.

The PG defense may not be as dominate as they were last year, but you don't always need a dominant defense to win games. A defense that bends but doesn't break and that makes big plays at key times.

I believe PG is good enough to repeat as state champs. Despite what many say about Harmon he IMO is one of the best QBs in the state. He has the talent and ability. 

Good luck to the Hawks!!!

7 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

My 2 cents which don’t matter:

1. PG is not even close to the team it was last year and I also think D2 was weak last year as it is this year   This year D2 may be worse.

2. PG does have a shot to repeat because they have a good team and if they play well can compete and beat all the teams in D2.

IMO the teams in D2 that have a shot are PG, Giddings, Jasper, Cuero with dark horses being Wharton & WOS and I mean DARK HORSES.  Reg 3 is tough and the team that survives will be battle tested.   I do not have a Reg 1 team, not one there that can win it IMO.

9 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Well maybe 10-1. 😉 J/K

Definitely not a product of poor competition, although some of the teams are better than last year and some not as good as last year. Look at where those teams are right now to determine strength of schedule. Personally, I think y'all have played really great competition this year.

The PG defense may not be as dominate as they were last year, but you don't always need a dominant defense to win games. A defense that bends but doesn't break and that makes big plays at key times.

I believe PG is good enough to repeat as state champs. Despite what many say about Harmon he IMO is one of the best QBs in the state. He has the talent and ability. 

Good luck to the Hawks!!!

I certainly agree with you and yes Ben is and has been a really good athlete. He has had issues turning the ball over w/ fumbles. I think he is trying to improve in that aspect but it seems to happen in the most important moments even games the grove won Harmon has had issues protecting the football. Liberty Eylau comes to mind when Ben turned it over twice in the red zone. He simply tries to do to much sometimes. That’s just his competitive nature.

Good luck to the Bears also!

2 hours ago, DevelopQB said:

1. PG is not even close to the team it was last year and I also think D2 was weak last year as it is this year   This year D2 may be worse.

2. PG does have a shot to repeat because they have a good team and if they play well can compete and beat all the teams in D2.

IMO the teams in D2 that have a shot are PG, Giddings, Jasper, Cuero with dark horses being Wharton & WOS and I mean DARK HORSES.  Reg 3 is tough and the team that survives will be battle tested.   I do not have a Reg 1 team, not one there that can win it IMO.

Pretty darn good assessment! 

On 11/17/2018 at 5:19 PM, SlobCat said:

First comment here is that Connally is not a Waco ISD school, they are located in Lacy-Lakeview, which is a suburb of Waco, small point but I wanted to make it. 

Second comment, PG should win this game but don’t be surprised if it turns out to be a close one. 

Y’all enjoy the playoff ride and travel safe. 

I must defend you SlobCat. I just looked up the current address of Connally High School in Texas. It is 901 N. Lacy Dr., Lacy Lakeview,Tx. 76705.   You have a very strong case! 🙂 On the other hand, La Vega High School, although in the City of Bellmead, has a Waco address. 🤔 Then again, I previously lived in Titus County ( Mount Pleasant ISD ), and had a Pittsburg address! Go figure.🙂

12 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Kinda like Union Grove and Sabine. UIL list them as Gladewater Union Grove & Gladewater Sabine, probably because they have Gladewater addresses, but neither is part of the Gladewater ISD. Same with Connelly. Waco address but not a part of the Waco ISD. Like Union Grove and Sabine, they have their own school system.

Oh, and UG & Sabine are not fond of the UIL putting Gladewater in front of their names.

I can’t imagine anyone would be fond of that g word in front of their name. 😜. Now that other G word just north is different story. Just poking fun 

2 hours ago, DevelopQB said:

Yes it does matter! Don't let them suppress you! 🙂

38 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

I certainly agree with you and yes Ben is and has been a really good athlete. He has had issues turning the ball over w/ fumbles. I think he is trying to improve in that aspect but it seems to happen in the most important moments even games the grove won Harmon has had issues protecting the football. Liberty Eylau comes to mind when Ben turned it over twice in the red zone. He simply tries to do to much sometimes. That’s just his competitive nature.

Good luck to the Bears also!

I agree Ben is probably trying to do too much this year, but man he's a special player. 

Thanks, Bears are getting it done, but as y'all know the road to accomplish the ultimate isn't easy, and like y'all last year, it's a place we've never been. 

33 minutes ago, BandDirector said:

I can’t imagine anyone would be fond of that g word in front of their name. 😜. Now that other G word just north is different story. Just poking fun 

Haha, I grew up in Pritchett and my mom had a gift store in Gilmer. When we weren't skating in Big Sandy we were at the rink in Gilmer. I even played all my years of softball in Gilmer leagues. But as much time as I spent in Gilmer, I have never been or wanted to be anything but a Bear!!! Of course I was in school when the Buckeyes couldn't beat us. Those were the days!!! 😊🏈

5 hours ago, DevelopQB said:

Lorena is a dark horse.... No one is talking about them and they are 10-1 on the year with the only lost coming @ connally in a rivalry game by 3 points.... They dont have 1 player stand out but they play very well together and are fundamentally sound... They have a balanced offense and if you turn the ball over they will make you pay

11 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

Lorena is a dark horse.... No one is talking about them and they are 10-1 on the year with the only lost coming @ connally in a rivalry game by 3 points.... They dont have 1 player stand out but they play very well together and are fundamentally sound... They have a balanced offense and if you turn the ball over they will make you pay

Yes could be BUT for Lorena to get to the semis they have to beat LE, PITT then PG.   The horse is so dark I cant even see him...LOL

Will know a lot more about Lorena after the LE game.  

1 hour ago, DevelopQB said:

Yes could be BUT for Lorena to get to the semis they have to beat LE, PITT then PG.   The horse is so dark I cant even see him...LOL

I think they will beat them by 14 to 21 points... LE had a tough schedule so the 4-7 record is not fulling me

16 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

Lorena qb appears to be pretty special when looking at his stats.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:49 AM, lionpride08 said:

No one talking? Probably a reason.

12 hours ago, DevelopQB said:

....probably a reason no one is talking.

PG had a pile of penalties again. The score would have been much worse if not for the penalties. 2 tds erased along with some big plays. Connally was really not as good as I expected them to be. PG better get it together that was an ugly win. 3 times in first and goal the Hawks came up empty. NOT GOOD! The wind was whipping! The refs had to hold the ball while the team huddled on a few plays. Connally had a punt that went for negative 5 yards after the wind grabbed it. Blackhawk D played really well! #16 for the Grove gets my game ball! Kid was full throttle playing both sides! 

39 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

PG had a pile of penalties again. The score would have been much worse if not for the penalties. 2 tds erased along with some big plays. Connally was really not as good as I expected them to be. PG better get it together that was an ugly win. 3 times in first and goal the Hawks came up empty. NOT GOOD! The wind was whipping! The refs had to hold the ball while the team huddled on a few plays. Connally had a punt that went for negative 5 yards after the wind grabbed it. Blackhawk D played really well! #16 for the Grove gets my game ball! Kid was full throttle playing both sides! 

You guys have a smart coach, unlike Pitt! PG coach goes after any and every weakness his opponent has. Pitt coach coaches scared. He plays keep a way! That strategy does not win championships! If you want something in life, you have to go after it! You can't wait and hope it happens! I look back at my life now, and wish I would have done things differently. I think I would have made a great high school football coach!👍

You guys will survive! I will be there supporting PG! Your coach is wise. He gets it! He has a winners attitude! Not this passive #### like you see in society now, and all of these people who follow that ####! An aggressive, common sense approach, wins out every time. I guarantee it!👍