6A Division II Region II Semi-Final: Longview vs Austin Vandegrift

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (12-0) vs Austin Vandegrift (12-0)  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Austin Vandegrift in a close one
    • Austin Vandegrift in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2018 at 12:00 PM

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lufkin - 2 fumbles/1 lost

Marshall - 2 fumbles/2 lost

John Tyler - 2 fumbles/1 lost

Ruston - 4 fumbles/4 lost

Rockwall - 2 fumbles/1 lost

Mesquite Horn - 2 fumbles/0 lost

Rockwall Heath - 0 fumbles

North Mesquite - 1 fumble/0 lost

Tyler Lee - 0 fumbles 

Mesquite - 0 fumbles 

Copperas Cove - 0 fumbles 

Prosper - 1 fumble/1 lost 

So I was off by one overall. 16 fumbles and 10 lost. Throw in the INT and that’s 11 turnovers.

I think you have forgotten how big of a deal it was early in non district. 

Wow. Makes sense that Randy forgot about them.... They happened so long ago! Glad that we've corrected taking care of the ball! 

Hoping that continues. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Wow. Makes sense that Randy forgot about them.... They happened so long ago! Glad that we've corrected taking care of the ball! 

THIS. Holy cow...  more than the overall turnover number, I am blown away by how the problem has been corrected since Ruston. 

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lufkin - 2 fumbles/1 lost

Marshall - 2 fumbles/2 lost

John Tyler - 2 fumbles/1 lost

Ruston - 4 fumbles/4 lost

Rockwall - 2 fumbles/1 lost

Mesquite Horn - 2 fumbles/0 lost

Rockwall Heath - 0 fumbles

North Mesquite - 1 fumble/0 lost

Tyler Lee - 0 fumbles 

Mesquite - 0 fumbles 

Copperas Cove - 0 fumbles 

Prosper - 1 fumble/1 lost 

So I was off by one overall. 16 fumbles and 10 lost. Throw in the INT and that’s 11 turnovers.

I think you have forgotten how big of a deal it was early in non district.

Any idea how many turnovers we have forced?

Article from the Vandy side of things...

Battle-Tested Vipers Ready For East Texas Power

727a36e4-5e42-4251-8965-318085ab14f2.jpe
Vandegrift's defense has pressured opposing offenses all season. Photo by Henry Huey.

Austin Vandegrift has proved people wrong all season, so it has its first 12-0 start in its nine-year varsity history, and is ready for Saturday's UIL 6A Division II regional semifinals football matchup against East Texas power Longview (12-0) at Waco's McLane Stadium.

"It’s been a very exciting week," said junior safety Tyler Mongauzy. "We are very excited to have the opportunity to play a quality opponent like Longview, and we are very confident in our ability against any team."

Vandegrift's defense has been the difference all season, especially in the biggest matchups against rival Cedar Park, district opponents Round Rock Cedar Ridge, Pflugerville Hendrickson and Round Rock, and playoff foes Tomball Memorial and Klein Collins. So, that side of the ball needs another big performance on Saturday.

"We have been prepped all year to play a big matchup like this, with the overtime against Cedar Ridge, and the offensive performance against Round Rock late in the fourth, and the multiple defensive stops in the Klein Collins' overtime," said junior defensive back JJ Parker. "We’re ready for this big game."

The latest example of this was last week's 28-21 double overtime win against Klein Collins. Mongauzy set up a score with his second half interception, and also sealed the win with his last play deflection. Parker added a red zone interception right before halftime, and had a fourth down sack that wrapped up a scoreless first overtime.

"Longview has a great offense, especially the run, and Klein Collins sort of geared us up for [the] rushing attack, even though Longview’s running back is a different style," said Parker. "[The Lobos] are still a run-heavy team, with a lot of run sets, so I think, if we consistently stop the run and play smart knowing their tendencies, we can dominate."

The team has also been working hard this week to put itself in the right position.

"This week, we took some time to correct our mistakes from the game last Friday," said Mongauzy. "We are building on those mistakes with film, practice, and a great game plan to put us in the best position possible for this Saturday."

The Vipers understand that they'll be the underdog for this contest, but also have the plan to be successful.

"It’s obvious that we don’t have the biggest, fastest, or strongest athletes," said Mongauzy. "So, our ability to trust each other, play hard, fast, and fundamentally sound with minimal mistakes helps bring a lot of success to our defense."

Along with the players' performance on the field, Vandegrift coaches will affect the team's performance.

"I really do believe that we have one of the best coaching staffs in the country," said Parker. "The amount of time and effort coach [Drew] Sanders and coach [Scott] Hermes put into our game plan really impacts the way we can stop the opponents' strengths and exploit their weaknesses."

52 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

This guy said one of the best coaching staffs in the COUNTRY.... lol.. please smoke this team Longview..

The worst part is the arrogance of him saying they are going to dominate us....WOW!!!! 

I heard part of Coach Kings interview and he gave them mad respect....too bad the other coach didn’t....that needs to be shared with the team....

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

The worst part is the arrogance of him saying they are going to dominate us....WOW!!!! 

I heard part of Coach Kings interview and he gave them mad respect....too bad the other coach didn’t....that needs to be shared with the team....

at best they slowed kc down a little in the run game...kc still had a lot of success running the ball from what I saw.  Spiller had 153 yds and two tds and he is their only back.  Qb had some ok runs up the middle.  They got a whole different kind of animal coming at them tomorrow 

• Like 1