Pleasant Grove (11-2) vs. Pittsburg (10-3) Class 4A (D-II) Quarterfinals

Pittpirate1919

Who wins  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Pittsburg
    • Pleasant Grove

52 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

It’s frustrating,  ecause we have to put up with fans of other schools always accusing our school of recruiting players. People want to move in to play for our school, we don’t have to recruit anyone! HA!

Here in Gilmer we’ve never been accused of these things 😜

20 hours ago, texan1010 said:

Yeah, Idk why it would be harder to beat a team twice. Both teams get to see the other up close, so the advantage doesn't go to the one who got beat. Idk what yall have made look very easy though... thats why I think we have a decent shot. 

How many teams have ya'll shut out this year?  

18 hours ago, BandDirector said:

Here in Gilmer we’ve never been accused of these things 😜

...and never will again by the looks of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nonothing said:

How many teams have ya'll shut out this year?  

So you shutting out Spring Hill was easy? I think Pitt had quite an easy time with them as well. Also a much easier time with Gilmer and LE, well in the regular season at least. PG has looked very beatable at times. 

3 hours ago, downtheline said:

Please explain why Pittsburg has a decent shot.  

Just looking at the last PG game, we were able to move the ball really well. Without an interception in the end zone it could have been 21-7 in the first half. I’m pretty sure we had a punt blocked or something like that too, in addition to 2 picks in the 2nd half. Basically just eliminate mistakes and it’s completely different. But it will take a near perfect game...

Thought I might leave a few thoughts about the previous matchup between these two teams.

10-12-18

Final score PG 45 Pitt 20

Halftine score PG 28 Pitt 20

Total yards PG 393 Pitt 372

So why the 25 point difference?  Turnovers!

Pitt threw 3 interceptions, all in PG territory.  1 was in the end zone on a 1st down play that could have put Pitt up 21-7.  The other 2 were intercepted at the 23 and 27 respectively.  

Pitt’s next possession after the 1st interception went 3 and out, but the snap on the punt went through the punters hands and PG recovered at Pitt’s 12 yard line.  PG scores on first play to tie the game at 14 then scores on the very first play of their next possession which came after a Pitt 3 and out.  PG had a short field again on the next possesion due to a 11 yard punt by Pitt and scored again to make it 28-14.

The second half saw Pitt turn then ball over on downs 2 times and throw their last 2 interceptions, but all possessions ended in PG territory.

Bottom line from the first game...take care of the ball!!!  These teams were evenly matched across the board except for turnovers and starting field position.

So what has changed to make Pitt fans think the Pirates have a chance?  Since that game (6 games ago), Pitt has thrown just 1 interception and lost only 3 fumbles. Pretty decent.  And how about the Pirate defense since that day?  Allowing an average of 17.8 points per game since then.  Shutouts on the season?  None.  But I don’t think PG should brag to much about those either.  They shut out Chape Hill (1-9), Spring Hill (2-8), and Gilmer (in a torrential downpour).

Do I expect this week’s game to turn out differently?  Idk. That’s why they play the game, nobody knows what’s gonna happen.  While I know everything mentioned is part of the game and it all counts to the outcome of the game, part of me wonders what the outcome would be if both teams played a clean game.

Good luck to both teams!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I went back and checked.  Pitt only had 13 rush attempts against PG the first time for 93 yards.   That’s 7.2 yards per carry.   That is Pitt’s 3rd highest average per carry of the whole year.   That obviously shows that Pitt had to abandon the run due to score.  Since the PG game Pitt has averaged 47 rushes per game!!!!  Huge philosophy change!!!   Also, Pitt’s #6 only had 2 carries that game.  Don’t know if that was intentional but that has definitely changed since then also.

6 hours ago, texan1010 said:

Just looking at the last PG game, we were able to move the ball really well. Without an interception in the end zone it could have been 21-7 in the first half. I’m pretty sure we had a punt blocked or something like that too, in addition to 2 picks in the 2nd half. Basically just eliminate mistakes and it’s completely different. But it will take a near perfect game...

All these mistakes are part of the game. Both teams are on a roll. Who has the best defense? tossup maybe. Who has best offense? tossup maybe. Who is best on special teams, Pleasant Grove by far. Just one man's opinion.

1 hour ago, ViewFromAfar said:

Tell that to GIlmer.

With all due respect to Gilmer, Gilmer was no where near being Gilmer.   The biggest difference between PG and Pittsburg is depth and kicking game.  I think Pittsburg will go for 4th downs when less than 5 yards.   

#19 has been victimized several times this year, I agree.   The kid that subs for him occasionally is smaller than him, so that leads me to believe the coaches feel like 19 gives them the best effort at that position.   Whether it be better technique, size, or effort, the coaches have a reason they have stuck with him.  To his credit, he has stepped up on several occasions this season to make some plays.   Best example was a 4th and 6 for Lorena late in the third quarter at mid-field.  They tried to throw a 10 yard out to his side and he broke on the ball and deflected it away from the receiver.   I believe the score was still tied at 28.  Had that pass been completed we might not even be talking about a game this week.

While I agree that every defense has a weakness to exploit, most of the time it comes down to just a handful of plays that can make or break you.  So far nothing has happened to break Pitt yet (or #19) because they are still playing.

As fans, we obviously have our own opinions about who should and shouldn’t be on the field.  And while I get frustrated with how an athlete may be performing, it’s completely understandable to me to stick with the ones that have gotten you to the 14th game of the year.  Have there been times this year where I felt a change needed to be made?  Of course!!  All I know is, since the PG game Pitt is allowing 17.8 points a game.  They held Lorena’s offense to 21 points (there was a “blocked” punt returned for a score also) even though Lorena was averaging over 40 a game.  Seems to me Pitt does a pretty good job over covering up any defensive weakness they may have.

15 hours ago, texan1010 said:

So you shutting out Spring Hill was easy? I think Pitt had quite an easy time with them as well. Also a much easier time with Gilmer and LE, well in the regular season at least. PG has looked very beatable at times. 

So, none....that's what you are saying right. Pitt has shut down 0 opponents this year.

15 hours ago, DocAcs15 said:

So why the 25 point difference?  Turnovers!

Yup, PG is great at forcing turnovers.

48 minutes ago, Nonothing said:

Well...when a team shuts out another team...that is a good thing. Pitt played a couple of teams they should have shut out but didn't.

I just think its a totally arbitrary stat. We should have "maybe" shutout Gilmer or SH, but the points they scored had 0 impact on the game. Pitt's margin of victory over the 2 other D6 playoff teams was 26 points more than PG. But, that's also pretty irrelevant. There are a lot of evidence-based reasons PG fans can point to on why they will win this game, but this ain't it. 

15 minutes ago, dlb441 said:

Prediction: Pitt 35-28 

Jimmerson has 2 passing tds and 2 rushing tds

Allen rushes for+100 1td

Griffin has +100 receiving 2tds

If Pitt has no turnovers they can win this game. 

I am no expert, but PG had been held to under 28 three times all year. One game was in the pouring rain, one was against Carthage, and then again against Connally (I think it was wet conditions there). I highly doubt the Pitt defense is going to accomplish that task, BUT I have been wrong before.