Malakoff (10-2) vs. Atlanta (8-5) Class 3A (D-I) Quarterfinals

H3llR4z0r

Atlanta Rabbits vs Malakoff Tigers  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who moves on to the Semi-Finals to face Brock/Shallowater?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2018 at 01:30 AM

52 minutes ago, Rabb74 said:

Not even sure if he was really from Atlanta, by his profile he was a newbie. But rather you liked him or not he did run you folks right down the proverbial “Rabbit Hole” (see where I went with that lol). However we found out who some of our jealous neighbors are, such as GolfisaNut and some of the Jokkerson folks. But I do understand why they must take the position of rooting against us, because our loosing is the only way to validate their self perceived premature playoff exit. It was a real Cmon Man moment when Goffie had the audacity to say their loss to Mally was closer than it looked and the win over us wasn’t that close. Personally I think that makes you look pretty sad. So all I got you say to folks in your situation is no matter what’s happens Saturday WE ARE PLAYING AND YOU ARE NOT.........

Sounds like you are the jealous one that you think that anyone who has the nerve to pick against you has a problem. As someone who has seen both teams, and has an interest in watching good football, especially when it's in our region, I gave my opinion. To call me names or bash me for my opinion is pretty immature. 

Quote my comment and tell me where I'm wrong. Oh, and I have play by play of our game with Atlanta also that will prove my comment. 

Could be that since Jefferson and Gladewater have played both teams, they might have better insight into the matchup, especially since we can be impartial. In my opinion Malakoff is the better team and should win. If I'm wrong, I have no problem coming on here after the game and saying so. Most Atlanta fans know I've always been respectful, even when I'm wrong, and I'm old enough to have been wrong many times. 

Like I said, prove my comment wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Sounds like you are the jealous one that you think that anyone who has the nerve to pick against you has a problem. As someone who has seen both teams, and has an interest in watching good football, especially when it's in our region, I gave my opinion. To call me names or bash me for my opinion is pretty immature. 

Quote my comment and tell me where I'm wrong. Oh, and I have play by play of our game with Atlanta also that will prove my comment. 

Could be that since Jefferson and Gladewater have played both teams, they might have better insight into the matchup, especially since we can be impartial. In my opinion Malakoff is the better team and should win. If I'm wrong, I have no problem coming on here after the game and saying so. Most Atlanta fans know I've always been respectful, even when I'm wrong, and I'm old enough to have been wrong many times. 

Like I said, prove my comment wrong. 

...and sheeees making my point

• Stinks 4

I'm just gonna say...I don't believe in trash talking your opponent before or after the game. I'm also a big believer in karma or jinxing or being superstitious, whatever you wanna call it... and these couple guys better enjoy crow if the Rabbs lose this game because the way I see it they're just giving the other team bulletin board material and motivation. I understand being confident but these are 16, 17, 18 year old kids. It's just way over the top.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

I'm just gonna say...I don't believe in trash talking your opponent before or after the game. I'm also a big believer in karma or jinxing or being superstitious, whatever you wanna call it... and these couple guys better enjoy crow if the Rabbs lose this game because the way I see it they're just giving the other team bulletin board material and motivation. I understand being confident but these are 16, 17, 18 year old kids. It's just way over the top.

What couple of guys would that be. Rab4Life has been the only person on here making Bold predictions and got folks to follow him down the rabbit hole. Surely you couldn’t mean me since my post was directed to Jeffy and a certain GW fan. I don’t think they can use any bulletin board material right now. Except for falling for Rab4Life’s antic the Mally folks have been all about the game. Thus I just got one question for you... “ Whay ju talkin bout Willis???”

• Stinks 2

12 hours ago, Rabb74 said:

Not even sure if he was really from Atlanta, by his profile he was a newbie. But rather you liked him or not he did run you folks right down the proverbial “Rabbit Hole” (see where I went with that lol). However we found out who some of our jealous neighbors are, such as GolfisaNut and some of the Jokkerson folks. But I do understand why they must take the position of rooting against us, because our loosing is the only way to validate their self perceived premature playoff exit. It was a real Cmon Man moment when Goffie had the audacity to say their loss to Mally was closer than it looked and the win over us wasn’t that close. Personally I think that makes you look pretty sad. So all I got you say to folks in your situation is no matter what’s happens Saturday WE ARE PLAYING AND YOU ARE NOT.........

Well...I predicted Malakoff to win based on our experience of playing them and Atlanta, but I was pulling for y’all. That was until I read your comment. I do wish y’all luck however. But the bigger question is...where you a few weeks ago 😏... No hating here, like I said I was pulling for you guys, but when you got your a$$ handed to you over and over where were you at, sure weren’t here. I give props to Hellrazor and bigboy bc they were holding it down while you and some of these other newbies ran for the hills. Everyone has opinions, does not mean we’re jealous, or at least I’m not. So why act like the Clintons if someone has a different point of view...smh

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dawg665 said:

Well...I predicted Malakoff to win based on our experience of playing them and Atlanta, but I was pulling for y’all. That was until I read your comment. I do wish y’all luck however. But the bigger question is...where you a few weeks ago 😏... No hating here, like I said I was pulling for you guys, but when you got your a$$ handed to you over and over where were you at, sure weren’t here. I give props to Hellrazor and bigboy bc they were holding it down while you and some of these other newbies ran for the hills. Everyone has opinions, does not mean we’re jealous, or at least I’m not. So why act like the Clintons if someone has a different point of view...smh

Been here all year.. and at every game. just don’t have anything to post. Exception being to people like you

• Stinks 2

13 minutes ago, Dawg665 said:

Lol yea I won't let a few rough losses get in my way. It is what it is. The Jeffy loss wasn't near as hard to take as them Pitt losses the past few years, though it was rough enough. 

I still like our chances in this game though. I won't let the Jefferson or Gladewater game define who we are, because a lot has changed!  

13 hours ago, Rabb74 said:

...and sheeees making my point

She’s not the only one that feels this way. It has nothing to do with justifying the fact that Malakoff beat both Jefferson and Gladewater. It is the way they did it. They will matchup well with Atlanta. We all know Atlanta has speed but we also know that you can’t use speed if you can’t block the opponent up front. It is the OPINION of some (including myself) that Atlanta can’t block Malakoff up front. Sure Atlanta will probably have some explosive plays here and there but I don’t think it will be enough to pull off a win. If I’m wrong then that is great for Atlanta. If I’m right it has nothing to do with any other game except the one at hand. Golfnut has always been respectful even going as far as stating how much she enjoyed watching your team and especially your Qb. Keep opening your mouth and proving yourself to be the village idiot. Every town has one.....

P.S. Good luck to both teams!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

She’s not the only one that feels this way. It has nothing to do with justifying the fact that Malakoff beat both Jefferson and Gladewater. It is the way they did it. They will matchup well with Atlanta. We all know Atlanta has speed but we also know that you can’t use speed if you can’t block the opponent up front. It is the OPINION of some (including myself) that Atlanta can’t block Malakoff up front. Sure Atlanta will probably have some explosive plays here and there but I don’t think it will be enough to pull off a win. If I’m wrong then that is great for Atlanta. If I’m right it has nothing to do with any other game except the one at hand. Golfnut has always been respectful even going as far as stating how much she enjoyed watching your team and especially your Qb. Keep opening your mouth and proving yourself to be the village idiot. Every town has one.....

Thanks

Let me ask this however, and this isn't a shot at Malakoff, I just want to hear it from Gladewater fans.

Was the loss contributed just by Malakoff being that much better? Or did Gladewater have their own issues. I keep hearing from various people that are not fans of either team or Atlanta, that say Gladewater was having some QB issues (freshman QB?), and that Gladewater got away from what was working way too early. I know that's been stated in here as well, but that's some someone told me that isn't associated with Smoaky at all.

I'm not looking for excuses, I'm looking for just your thoughts, as you've watched your team all year long. It's hard for me to believe that the same team that I watched beat PG, was the same team that struggled with Hughes Springs, and got stopped last week so abruptly. PG has a great front 7 in my eyes (not as good as last year, that front 7 as the best I've seen in a while). They even kept Carthage hemmed up pretty good, and that's making a statement. 

9 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Let me ask this however, and this isn't a shot at Malakoff, I just want to hear it from Gladewater fans.

Was the loss contributed just by Malakoff being that much better? Or did Gladewater have their own issues. I keep hearing from various people that are not fans of either team or Atlanta, that say Gladewater was having some QB issues (freshman QB?), and that Gladewater got away from what was working way too early. I know that's been stated in here as well, but that's some someone told me that isn't associated with Smoaky at all.

I'm not looking for excuses, I'm looking for just your thoughts, as you've watched your team all year long. It's hard for me to believe that the same team that I watched beat PG, was the same team that struggled with Hughes Springs, and got stopped last week so abruptly. PG has a great front 7 in my eyes (not as good as last year, that front 7 as the best I've seen in a while). They even kept Carthage hemmed up pretty good, and that's making a statement. 

First let me say that I think Malakoff had the best defense we’ve faced this season. #8 for Malakoff could go sideline to sideline with our #8 Eligia Carter and no one has been able to do that all year. 

I do not believe we had a Qb issue that affected the TEAM. Was there some controversy about who should start or play more ? Possibly among fans but not among the coaches or kids. Both quarterbacks played really well this season and if not for an illness we may not have even seen the freshman this year. With that said he has undeniable talents and once he played with varsity it was obvious that he could help the team. The sophomore played his butt off all year and I know he will help the team in some form or fashion going forward whether it is as the Qb or not. 

Lastly I’m not sure the coaches went away from what was working as much as they got forced into changing the game plan mid flight. We obviously werent lighting up the scoreboard in the first half so they came out with a different look (zone read) in the second half. Turns out that didn’t work either 😂 and I credit that to the defense. By the time they figured out it wasn’t working we were down 21-7 and playing against the clock. That is when we really got away from the game plan and started throwing the ball. 

Hopefully somewhere in that long rambling mess I answered your question. Good luck against Malakoff. They are very well coached and have a lights out defense. 

16 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Finally someone wants to talk football instead of a bunch of bullcorn and drama! All great questions , and i also find it hard to believe that the team that beat PG was the same as the one that hughes springs took to the 4 th quater, maybe gladewater peaked early in season ?  I look foward to the answer to these questions. , actually after the first 4 games this year i thought gladewater had to be the region favorite

42 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

First off I have no problem with people making predictions. You make very excellent points and  understandable so. However I thought it was hilarious and just couldn’t let it go on how some GW folks had to use the “they beat us we beat y’all so they will beat you” thing. And they used skewed analytics to support such nonsense. This not the NFL or NCAA so things change from day to day. Remember These are kids so anything can happen. We may win and we may not, but I assure you it won’t because GW or Jefferson beat us

9 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

First let me say that I think Malakoff had the best defense we’ve faced this season. #8 for Malakoff could go sideline to sideline with our #8 Eligia Carter and no one has been able to do that all year. 

I do not believe we had a Qb issue that affected the TEAM. Was there some controversy about who should start or play more ? Possibly among fans but not among the coaches or kids. Both quarterbacks played really well this season and if not for an illness we may not have even seen the freshman this year. With that said he has undeniable talents and once he played with varsity it was obvious that he could help the team. The sophomore played his butt off all year and I know he will help the team in some form or fashion going forward whether it is as the Qb or not. 

Lastly I’m not sure the coaches went away from what was working as much as they got forced into changing the game plan mid flight. We obviously werent lighting up the scoreboard in the first half so they came out with a different look (zone read) in the second half. Turns out that didn’t work either 😂 and I credit that to the defense. By the time they figured out it wasn’t working we were down 21-7 and playing against the clock. That is when we really got away from the game plan and started throwing the ball. 

Hopefully somewhere in that long rambling mess I answered your question. Good luck against Malakoff. They are very well coached and have a lights out defense. 

Yea I just know that there are unforeseen things that happen that can cause a team to struggle. I'm not making excuses, or saying that we would have beat Gladewater by no means, but there were things in the Atlanta/GW game that I thought directly impacted our success. But; we did travel THEN have a 2 hour rain delay, our QB got hurt on the first drive, and our early drive killing penalties didn't help matters whatsoever. 

It also didn't help that our defense was also virtually non-existent through most of the season. But, I'm making no exaggerations when I say they made some imminent mid-game changes that have definitely made a huge impact on our defense. We have players that never got their name called over the speaker throughout the season, making game altering tackles/plays on defense that didn't see during the regular season. Whether it be tackling in general, TFL, FF, or sacks. There is only 1 player that I wish we could get and keep fired up that could make an impact against any offensive line, but he has to find it in himself to want to do it. 

It all means nothing, we still dropped those games, and dropped them hard. We haven't won a single game this season that we weren't already picked to win. Everyone has had their doubts, but as you can see on the pigskinpreps picks, experts still had us winning even the games most doubted. We've definitely had glimpses of greatness. We were almost unstoppable against PG, and through playoffs, we've allowed only 7 points total through 3 games in the 2nd half. I can only hope we continue that this week. I'm confident that our coaches have a game play that will get us in a position to win. I just hope that our kids are ready for a very physical test, and know what's at stake. It doesn't stop here for whomever wins either, because next week for either team will be an incredibly physical battle as well.

22 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Razor I know you didn’t ask about the Jefferson/Malakoff game but I can give you some insight. Although I was not at the GW/Malakoff game, I too heard some of the same things said that you mentioned.

Malakoff has 2 HUGE issues, not for them but their opponents, very good defense that is underrated and deceptive and secondly VERY good coaching! For Jefferson it’s the 2nd round and it was time for us to exit. But Malakoff had a great game plan and the execution was spot on. We had the mindset “well we’ve got better athletes so why do we need to plan, we’ve done it all season so it’ll just work” mentality. We had the same game plan for them as we did when we played y’all. Just line up and turn the athletes loose. That does not work with Malakoff. To beat them you’ve got to control the los and control the pace of the game. You’ve got to speed the game up. Off tackle is where they are most vulnerable but they can run with the best of them for sure. 

If yalls coaches can put a game plan together that will put Malakoffs defense on their heels, can force them into long 3rd down situations, can speed the game up to yalls pace and keep them off balance y’all should be fine. You cannot go in with the same mindset and win. They play fearless and don’t mind taking risks because their defense is good enough to make up for it.  To sum it all up...they’re very well coached and execute to perfection. Good luck Rabbs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWBears01 said:

Great post!!!

I, too, questioned the play calling in the 2nd half. One reason for that is that in the past, as long as we kept pounding and pounding, we usually tired down any DL we played. I felt that we didn't give ourselves a chance to do that against the Tigers, and jumped too quick to change. That being said, I'm not the coach and I do believe they thought they had an answer for our struggles in the 1st half. Now, you can look at the first half in many ways. One, we didn't get it done with the game plan we were using, or two, we were moving the ball, but just didn't have the points to show for it. Statistics show that the game plan was moving us down the field. At the half I was still very happy with our game plan. Yes, the score was tied, but without the 65 yard TD run with a little over 3 mins left in the half, the Bear defense had held Malakoff to 22 total yards. That's not too shabby, even though the Tiger offense did have several dropped passes. I would have like to see us come out and continue running Eligia, Rashaud, Devon, Ajani and even bring in Christian for a change of pace.

Like you, I agree we didn't have any issues with either Tristan or DJ. I, personally, don't like playing 2 QB's, but both have their own style. Maybe that's why we got away from running Eligia in the 2nd half because DJ played the majority of the 2nd half and as talented as he is throwing the football, he has a run first mentality. He's a great runner, and is fantastic with the play action, but Malakoff had someone in the backfield on him every play. Tristan, on the other hand, is always looking to pass before running. He stays longer in the pocket and usually makes good decisions, despite being a sophomore. Both are going to be great players, and I hope the coaches can find places for them without continuing the alternating QB system.

To some of these comments 

From my perception Gladewater only got out of their plan when they got behind 21-7. Basically two quick scores flipped their plan. 

Carter was not making the yardage like they were used to and they were two scores down they had to change. The only curious decision I thought was 4-8 from the 9 yard line and going for it with almost 7 minutes left. 

I concur on Golfing this game was closer than the final score indicated. 

16 minutes ago, Dawg665 said:

Razor I know you didn’t ask about the Jefferson/Malakoff game but I can give you some insight. Although I was not at the GW/Malakoff game, I too heard some of the same things said that you mentioned.

Malakoff has 2 HUGE issues, not for them but their opponents, very good defense that is underrated and deceptive and secondly VERY good coaching! For Jefferson it’s the 2nd round and it was time for us to exit. But Malakoff had a great game plan and the execution was spot on. We had the mindset “well we’ve got better athletes so why do we need to plan, we’ve done it all season so it’ll just work” mentality. We had the same game plan for them as we did when we played y’all. Just line up and turn the athletes loose. That does not work with Malakoff. To beat them you’ve got to control the los and control the pace of the game. You’ve got to speed the game up. Off tackle is where they are most vulnerable but they can run with the best of them for sure. 

If yalls coaches can put a game plan together that will put Malakoffs defense on their heels, can force them into long 3rd down situations, can speed the game up to yalls pace and keep them off balance y’all should be fine. You cannot go in with the same mindset and win. They play fearless and don’t mind taking risks because their defense is good enough to make up for it.  To sum it all up...they’re very well coached and execute to perfection. Good luck Rabbs!

Great points, especially the ones about the defense and coaching. 

Carthage HC Scott Surratt is the absolute best at making halftime adjustments. I would put Malakoff's Driskell and PG's Gibson as 2nd on my list. 

No doubt in my mind that the reason the Tigers are where they are today is because of defense and coaching!!!

Just now, Golfingnut said:

Great points, especially the ones about the defense and coaching. 

Carthage HC Scott Surratt is the absolute best at making halftime adjustments. I would put Malakoff's Driskell and PG's Gibson as 2nd on my list. 

No doubt in my mind that the reason the Tigers are where they are today is because of defense and coaching!!!

I totally agree! Whether Gladewater or Jefferson, I believe the Malakoff coaching staff and execution takes you out of your game plan. You either have a plan B, which from experience Jefferson does not, or pack it all in for next year. The only other option is to trade coaching staffs at halftime and I’m not sure Malakoff will do that. 

• LOL! 1

29 minutes ago, Rabb74 said:

First off I have no problem with people making predictions. You make very excellent points and  understandable so. However I thought it was hilarious and just couldn’t let it go on how some GW folks had to use the “they beat us we beat y’all so they will beat you” thing. And they used skewed analytics to support such nonsense. This not the NFL or NCAA so things change from day to day. Remember These are kids so anything can happen. We may win and we may not, but I assure you it won’t because GW or Jefferson beat us

Haven't seen anyone say any of those things. Maybe you're just reading what you want to believe into other's comments.